Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

squidthunder

Ladder vs. Snake draft

Hey fellas,

First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong area for this question - and please move if there's a better area.

So, both of my keeper leagues are thinking about moving to a ladder draft instead of a snake draft. As being one of the top finishers in the league, I think it's going to hurt me come draft time next year.

Does anyone have any experience in moving to a ladder draft? Pros vs. Cons.

The commish wants to add the ladder to help the weaker teams in the league, but it doesn't seem too fair

Thanks for any input

I've never done one before, but I think it's fair. It attempts to make things one step closer to real life. You're essentially running a franchise. That's what happens in the NFL. The lesser teams get the earlier draft picks in order to promote parity.

I've never done a ladder draft, but I don't think they belong outside of dynasty leagues or leagues with a bunch of keepers. In a dynasty, it is basically real life. You have the best team, so you should pick at the end. In other leagues, it's really even. Every team will have solid keepers, so there shouldn't be any type of draft that gives certain teams advantages. Chances are pretty random as to which teams will be competitive in a snake draft setting before the draft, but in a ladder, the top teams automatically have the advantage just for being bad. It's just not fair to me.

I've never done a ladder draft, but I don't think they belong outside of dynasty leagues or leagues with a bunch of keepers. In a dynasty, it is basically real life. You have the best team, so you should pick at the end. In other leagues, it's really even. Every team will have solid keepers, so there shouldn't be any type of draft that gives certain teams advantages. Chances are pretty random as to which teams will be competitive in a snake draft setting before the draft, but in a ladder, the top teams automatically have the advantage just for being bad. It's just not fair to me.

Thanks man, that's exactly the point I'm trying to push the commish. We only keep 4 guys, so most teams are pretty even across the board. In a larger format like Dynasty, then I agree with ladder.

Just so I understand correctly, a ladder draft is one in which the draft order is the same each round? Worst team from previous year gets 1st pick each round?

The reason it works for the league and NOT for fantasy is that in fantasy (outside dynasty leagues) you aren't drafting just rookies, you're drafting the ENTIRE LEAGUE.

A ladder draft is a huge handicap unless there are a lot of keepers.

Just so I understand correctly, a ladder draft is one in which the draft order is the same each round? Worst team from previous year gets 1st pick each round?

Yep. It's just like the NFL draft.

Yes

Hey guys....

Sorry to bump this up, but I'm in a pretty heated battle with our commish regarding this possible league change. I think it puts a big handicap on certain teams, and I'm hoping for some other input that I can bring to our message board for the vote.

Anything else anyone can add?

thanks

I'm going to assume that the commish's team is one of the weaker ones this year?

sounds like no matter what you say, it's going to depend on a league vote. And if you don't like the outcome, then I suppose you just leave.

I don't get the ladder concept or how somebody would think that is fair. Just because you had a bad year this year means you automatically get an advantage next year? That is ridiculous. Our league doesn't even use order of finish to determine draft order. It's all random each year. Unlike the pros, where actual dollars are at stake and if you're deliberately tanking you'll be costing yourselves fan base, merchandising dollars, etc., there is no disincentive to tank in fantasy football. I could see a team who was out of it very early on just giving up so they get the #1 draft selection.

I'm going to assume that the commish's team is one of the weaker ones this year?

sounds like no matter what you say, it's going to depend on a league vote. And if you don't like the outcome, then I suppose you just leave.

I don't get the ladder concept or how somebody would think that is fair. Just because you had a bad year this year means you automatically get an advantage next year? That is ridiculous. Our league doesn't even use order of finish to determine draft order. It's all random each year. Unlike the pros, where actual dollars are at stake and if you're deliberately tanking you'll be costing yourselves fan base, merchandising dollars, etc., there is no disincentive to tank in fantasy football. I could see a team who was out of it very early on just giving up so they get the #1 draft selection.

The commish has some idea that this will bring parity to the league - but he's making it unfair to all owners. And he's not 1 of the worst teams this year, but the thing is, the team that is worse, would rather keep it a snake. As the guy who would benefit the most from a ladder, wants to keep it a snake, what's the point??

just frustrating to get my point across to everyone