Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suikoden

Shin-Soo Choo 2013 Outlook

523 posts in this topic

Jon Heyman of CBSports.com reports that the trade sending Shin-Soo Choo to the Reds is done.

The details are still being ironed out, but it's expected to be a three-team deal that involves Jason Donald going to the Reds with Choo, Didi Gregorius going to the Diamondbacks and Drew Stubbs and an Arizona pitcher going to the Indians. There could be multiple other players involved in the trade, as well. Choo is expected to play center field for the Reds, a position he's started just one game at since 2007.

Anyone think Choo can lead off for the Reds or do they go with Cozart (yuck) and Phillips again?

I think he will probably leadoff. I can see Choo being on a few of my teams next season.

Does he block the path for Billy Hamilton now? It looks like it will shape up with Cozart at short, Phillips at second, Choo in center, and Hamilton in the minors :(

this will be pretty awesome for Choo. big Q about where he hits in the lineup, but if he hits leadoff, second, or fifth, still love it.

reds are extreme lefty-heavy now with Votto, Choo and Bruce

Dusty will have to figure out a way of using Frazier and Philips to hit between those three. If Choo leads off, would he hit Cozart second? that'd leave better flexibility after that. He could go Votto 3, Philips 4, Bruce 5, Fraiser 6.

this will be pretty awesome for Choo. big Q about where he hits in the lineup, but if he hits leadoff, second, or fifth, still love it.

Dusty will have to figure out a way of using Frazier and Philips to hit between those three. If Choo leads off, would he hit Cozart second? that'd leave better flexibility after that. He could go Votto 3, Philips 4, Bruce 5, Fraiser 6.

Reports from CIN beat reporter (can't find link, on mobile) said Choo was going to bat leadoff.

Plays in that lineup.

Moves to NL where pitching depth not as strong.

Plays half games in bandbox.

Plays @ MIL, STL, Wrigley (PIT only neutral to P-friendly park).

As I said in the trade thread - that sound you heard was the Choo-Choo hype train taking off. ;)

well, obviously this is good in a vacuum, but keep in mind he is an injury prone guy playing an unfamiliar position that is much more physically demanding than the one he's used to.

well, obviously this is good in a vacuum, but keep in mind he is an injury prone guy playing an unfamiliar position that is much more physically demanding than the one he's used to.

Fair points - but the hype train on Choo will still be insane.

He has always been a great value pick until the DUI/injuries hit him the last 2 years - thought he'd make a nice bounceback candidate at age 30 this year - but the chances of getting him as a post-hype value just went out the window.

Reports from CIN beat reporter (can't find link, on mobile) said Choo was going to bat leadoff.

Plays in that lineup.

Moves to NL where pitching depth not as strong.

Plays half games in bandbox.

Plays @ MIL, STL, Wrigley (PIT only neutral to P-friendly park).

As I said in the trade thread - that sound you heard was the Choo-Choo hype train taking off. ;)

Seems like fantasy gold...almost to good to be true. But, me thinks he'll still fly under the radar.

Owned him the last 2 years in my keeper league and was going to let him go this offseason. May keep him now with the move to a much better lineup and extreme hitters park. He has bored the living hell out of me the last 2 years. He stopped being able to even touch left handed pitching last year. The key to him returning to the player he was 2009 and 2010 is hitting lefties better. He can't hit .199 with nothing and expect to return high draft pick value. If he could get back to the .275 average, .825 OPS he hit vs. LHP in 2009 he could be a top 15 Outfielder again.

Does he block the path for Billy Hamilton now? It looks like it will shape up with Cozart at short, Phillips at second, Choo in center, and Hamilton in the minors :(

Not really. Hamilton wasn't going be up until mid-season anyway, at the earliest. The Reds really don't want to rush him. Choo is meant to be a one year bridge to Hamilton. He'll be up in August or September which puts off his eta by 1 or 2 months.

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, December 12, 2012 - Public complaint about title edit... · Report post

WHAAAT? You can't just change my Encino Man quote with "just traded". Wth!

Not really. Hamilton wasn't going be up until mid-season anyway, at the earliest. The Reds really don't want to rush him. Choo is meant to be a one year bridge to Hamilton. He'll be up in August or September which puts off his eta by 1 or 2 months.

I agree, the Reds are contenders, I think there are still questions about this guys ability to hit, Reds need a consistent lead off guy not a low .200's rookie, thats essentially what they had in Stubbs.

Was listening to the radio today (I think it was MLB radio) and there was a guy complaining about Choo in leadoff because he had 150K last year. I get that people dont like lead off guys with high K numbers, but when hes average a .384 OBP since 2008, I think that concern is one thats probably overblown.

I heard the same thing on a local station in the CA desert. I totally agree, Choo's near .400 OBP with 150K is by far much preferred over someone who would have only 75K and an OBP of .320.

Was listening to the radio today (I think it was MLB radio) and there was a guy complaining about Choo in leadoff because he had 150K last year. I get that people dont like lead off guys with high K numbers, but when hes average a .384 OBP since 2008, I think that concern is one thats probably overblown.

if anything I think it's better to have that at the top of the lineup because he's not in a lineup spot that values productive outs.

I have to say, I don't really follow the Indians closely, but didn't Choo hit leadoff for part of last year? Wasn't he decent in that spot? I just remember him being a hit machine in a series against the O's.

I have to say, I don't really follow the Indians closely, but didn't Choo hit leadoff for part of last year? Wasn't he decent in that spot? I just remember him being a hit machine in a series against the O's.

He did bat leadoff and had very good success there.

Cinci should help his power numbers. Better lineup should help his run production... What's not to like?

I'm just curious to see where his draft value will lie...

In the couple of drafts I've done he went 44 and 49. Which seems like a pretty fair value.

I took Choo in Mock I, Im predicting he returns in a big way with career high in Home Runs (good ballpark and division) and runs scored.