Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChrisFarley

Danny Espinosa 2013 Outlook

87 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on Danny Espinosa in 2013?

He Ks a ton, and won't hit more than .250, but the power and speed combo is valuable for the middle infield position.

He should qualify for both 2B and SS this year. The only thing I'm worried about is losing some ABs to Lombardozzi.

Also, there have been some trade rumors surrounding him as well.

Fair to project a season similar to the last 2? Improvement? Regression?

I like the fact that he'll have dual eligibility next year. That bumps his value up significantly. Not the most exciting option out there, but essentially a 20/20 middle infielder.

i find he really only works on a roster that is already strong offensively. if you only want him to help you pile onto power categories and solidify a core offense, making you the bully in the league, then sure... but if your team is counting on him, he'll piss you off.

1 person likes this

From what I've read, Davey Johnson and the GM are big fans for Espinosa for his power, patience, and defense. The avg won't be nice due to contact and K issues, but if he can be a 20/20 MI, I'll take the .240-.250 avg.

One of the issues is that Ive heard some conflicting reports this offseason. In one, I read where he might platoon and the issue is that from the left side is where he hit for a really low average and K'ed so much, the problem for fantasy owners is that from the left side is where he hit 14 of his 17HR and the year before it was like 15 of his 20. Issue is its also the side he K's 1/3 to 1/4 of the time.

If they eliminate that side from his game will he hit for any power?

So, Danny had a torn rotator cuff injury last year.....From what I hear, no surgery was done....

Should that hurt his power for the 2013 season?

1 person likes this

another guy I gave up on.

I'm not quite there yet!

Different issues, but he reminds me alot of Drew Stubbs. Alot more valuable in fantasy then in r/l it seems. If he's not going to be a full-time player, he's practically useless. But if he can be a 20/20 MI, he could be invaluable. So I'll be watching ST very carefully, as SS/2B elig 20/20 don't exactly grow on trees...

Different issues, but he reminds me alot of Drew Stubbs. Alot more valuable in fantasy then in r/l it seems. If he's not going to be a full-time player, he's practically useless. But if he can be a 20/20 MI, he could be invaluable. So I'll be watching ST very carefully, as SS/2B elig 20/20 don't exactly grow on trees...

In one of my dynasty leagues I have him as a MI.

However, I am joining another new dynasty league in 2013, but, the draft is early March :wacko:

Wondering if it's his throwing arm or not. Rotator cuff is more of an injury with above shoulder level activities, obviously like throwing. If it's front (batting) shoulder which is raised, I would be even more concerned. Personally, I would avoid him.

Wondering if it's his throwing arm or not. Rotator cuff is more of an injury with above shoulder level activities, obviously like throwing. If it's front (batting) shoulder which is raised, I would be even more concerned. Personally, I would avoid him.

Left shoulder, from the RW news page:

MLB.com's William Ladson reports that Danny Espinosa has a torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder.

The injury was originally described as a bone bruise in September, but more extensive damage was found in the offseason. According to Ladson, Espinosa won't miss any time and plans to be medically cleared for the start of spring training.

Ugh, injury and playing time issues, I don't think he's really draftable anymore except as a late stash

Ugh, injury and playing time issues, I don't think he's really draftable anymore except as a late stash

I sadly have to agree.

Who is his playing time issues with? I know Desmond at SS but who would his competition be at 2b? Lomardozzi?

Who is his playing time issues with? I know Desmond at SS but who would his competition be at 2b? Lomardozzi?

That is what I am hearing.

Long-term - Anthony Rendon. Espinosa's job should've safe for the 1st half - Rendon has to show he can be healthy, his bat is ready, and the Nats will have to move him off his 3B position. I don't think it's likely to happen until July-Aug at the earliest - and those 3 pins have to fall, too. Rendon probably is their long term 3B (Zimm moving to 1B if his arm keeps acting up, so 2014-15 makes sense after Laroche's contract is up). But, if Nats aren't happy with Espinosa by the ASB and they want to inject more O to their lineup - then that's the plan B Espinosa owners should worry about. Lombardozzi is a great Izturis-type guy to have, but his ceiling is capped. The easy way to confirm if this is what the Nats are thinking - see where Rendon plays in AA/AAA this season.

Because it was his non-throwing shoulder, it's a little puzzling they didn't bite the bullet and go under the knife. It's not the load joint for a lefty but crucial for a righty (and he switch-hits) - if you're going to fix it, the recovery time would have allowed a near-complete bill of health for Opening Day. Hopefully it wasn't that serious...

1 person likes this

My worry is about how much power he will be able to generate?

Didn't his power tail off after his injury?

Well, maybe I'll find a way to roster Espinosa and Rendon. Lombardozzi is probably going to get in the way, but at least it's a high upside combo.

Here's a fangraphs quip on Rendon

Now, yes, the 22-year-old has seen some very limited action at second base and shortstop, but before every fantasy owner starts getting eligibility arousal, realize that was more of a spring training experiment than anything else. Would Rendon be capable of handling second base as a starter? Probably. But then the other big issue surrounding him comes into play: his propensity to get injured. Not only would he have to stay on the field enough in the minors to get the necessary reps to transform into a legitimate keystone option, but Rendon would also be moving to a position that is, by its very nature, a bigger injury risk. Bottom line: Something is likely to happen that fixes this “problem” so that Rendon can be a big league starter before he turns 25 — we just don’t know what that is yet.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/prospect-impact-singleton-rendon-and-olt/

Well, I went ahead and dropped Espinosa because I think I can pick him up for less than the 10 bucks he was costing me ;)

I'm not sure how much effect the rotator cuff will have on his swing. That being said, if the injury doesn't turn into something serious, I can see him being a pretty good bargain as a 3rd year player with his power/speed and position eligibility.

Hard to know just how his shoulder feels and how much it will effect going forward. After the injury he hit 1 HR and had 4 RBIS in about 90 ABs including the playoffs. However, the injury was still fresh and I'm sure painful, with an offseason of rest, what will he be able to do? There is also the risk of re-injury....he could be a nice end game value, but I'll probably let someone else take the plunge considering he has contact problems as it is.....

This injury news sucks for those of us that were picking up a 20/20 SS at the tail end of drafts. If healthy, he is a hell of a bargain.

This injury news sucks for those of us that were picking up a 20/20 SS at the tail end of drafts. If healthy, he is a hell of a bargain.

Well he will certainly get cheaper now.

He is not going to be 20/20 because he is not going to get the chance. The Nats fancy themselves as a World Series contender and Espinosa from the left side (which is where like 85% of his power comes from) was a serious liability. The Cardinals started all right handers last year in the NLDS, he hit .067 with 7K in 15 at bats and was almost benched. There has been talk all offseason that he will not be hitting much from the left side and considering that most starting pitchers are right handed this does not bode well for his value.

This is one of those situations where fantasy and real baseball are at odds. Here you have a player, hitting almost 20HR from the left side of the plate, the problem is he is striking out like 1/3rd of the time from that side and becomes a liability. When you are hitting 8th or even 7th in a National League line-up, one of your key jobs is to get on base so that either the P can sac you over if its less than 2 outs or if there is 2 outs the pitcher can likely make the last out and the line up can roll over. That is how you win real baseball in the National League and Espinosa is a liability, it also sets up a situation where late in games as you are playing situational baseball, if you are opposing him, you put in RH, turn him around in key spots, especially strikeout situations. But from a fantasy perspective, you think this guy is great because he hits a bunch of HR and you arent really concerned about the k's or the situational aspect of his game.

1 person likes this