Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baltimore_boy

Manny Machado 2013 Outlook

332 posts in this topic

Going to be starting at third base for the O's next year. He showed his promise with 7 homers last year in limited time and he's going to be hitting in a solid O's order. What does his ADP look like?

I'm big on Machado this year but m trying to temper my expectations. I'm expecting something along the lines of .275-20-75-10.

very exciting young player ... i think he'll have an up an down season, and be tough to stick with from start to finish in shallow leagues.

1 person likes this

SS is an especially thin position this year. I think Machado is a decent late round/see how it pans out player. He has loads of talent/ physical ability, but his minor league numbers were pretty vanilla in all categories:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/machama01.shtml

But hey he could be like Harper and love playing at a higher level.

He'll probably be drafted higher than where I'd draft him based on hype and what Harper and Trout did last year, see: Dustin Ackley last year. But if he slips to the final rounds where people are drafting relievers and bench players, I'll snag him just as a wait and see guy.

SS is an especially thin position this year. I think Machado is a decent late round/see how it pans out player. He has loads of talent/ physical ability, but his minor league numbers were pretty vanilla in all categories:

http://www.baseball-...machama01.shtml

But hey he could be like Harper and love playing at a higher level.

Manny isn't going to play SS. He's a 3B now. He was always too big to play SS. Unless something happens to Hardy, which even then He may not even shift over, he's not going back to SS. Draft him and play him as a 3B.

I like Machado but he's too young I think this year for standard mixed leagues to count on as a starting 3B. He profiles as a kid with average power, very good speed, below average eye, but will get the playing time every day. Better choice in keeper leagues obviously but I would be waiting a year or two on him in re-drafts.

I like Machado but he's too young I think this year for standard mixed leagues to count on as a starting 3B. He profiles as a kid with average power, very good speed, below average eye, but will get the playing time every day. Better choice in keeper leagues obviously but I would be waiting a year or two on him in re-drafts.

Yeah I have a feeling he struggles to start the season and then turns it on towards the second half.

For this of us in keepers, what do you expect from him over the next few years? I know most expect "meh" production this year, but how about in 2014, 2015?

For this of us in keepers, what do you expect from him over the next few years? I know most expect "meh" production this year, but how about in 2014, 2015?

If he follows a path similar to guys like Heyward and Ian Desmond expect fits and starts at least into next year and 2015 should more likely be the year we see potential meet reality.

The hype seems to be low on him as of now even though he is a top prospect. I don't really know what to think of him yet for this year just because he is still so young. I think the power is very real so we could be looking at at least 15 home runs, but I'm not sure he will hit above .260 this year unless he can really improve his plate discipline. He did have a 10.5BB% in AA so maybe he can raise it this year

I think the OBP and plate discipline will improve. He doesn't really have the approach of a hacker, but the BBs just didn't materialize last season. I was impressed with him in the playoffs, he was one of the few Oriole hitters who had a sound approach. He stayed within himself while vets like Jones, Hardy, and Reynolds were swinging at breaking balls in the opposite batter's box.

Wouldn't feel great about having him as my starting 3B, but I'm targeting him at CI in some deeper leagues.

He's a couple of years away from being an asset in fantasy. I suspect the average will be brutal, but his glove will make him valuable for the O's. Unfortunately that will not make anyone who owns him this year feel any better.

I'm big on Machado this year but m trying to temper my expectations. I'm expecting something along the lines of .275-20-75-10.

I was thinking 18 and 70, general consensus is around 15 and 65 from what I've seen.

275 is being generous though. Only time he's ever hit around that is his first year of A ball, rest of the time was 264 in 800AB.

250ish would be more realistic but hey, you never know.

I would like him a lot more if he was still at SS. I think right now, he is a little overvalued IMO, I see people on the Bench Coach threads or calling into Fantasy XM shows talking about Machado as keeper or this or that but in very small leagues, like 10 or 12 with no corner spot. Im not sure he is a starter in those shallower leagues.

He is very young and wasnt exactly tearing it up when he got the call, but did perform respectably that said, Im not expecting much out of him this year, at best I think you are getting Casey Blake type numbers, so in a redraft stay away or redraft auction call him out and let someone else take him in long-term or deeper leagues - he has some value.

Im thinking .245 14-18HR 65ish RBI and Runs scored.

I would like him a lot more if he was still at SS. I think right now, he is a little overvalued IMO, I see people on the Bench Coach threads or calling into Fantasy XM shows talking about Machado as keeper or this or that but in very small leagues, like 10 or 12 with no corner spot. Im not sure he is a starter in those shallower leagues.

He is very young and wasnt exactly tearing it up when he got the call, but did perform respectably that said, Im not expecting much out of him this year, at best I think you are getting Casey Blake type numbers, so in a redraft stay away or redraft auction call him out and let someone else take him in long-term or deeper leagues - he has some value.

I'd agree with most of this.

I wouldn't get excited about him in a redraft with no CI but other types I would. And his real value is in keepers where he may get shifted back to the MI in the next year or two. Roberts' deal is up at the end of this year and Hardy's the year after so there's opportunity there.

I'd agree with most of this.

I wouldn't get excited about him in a redraft with no CI but other types I would. And his real value is in keepers where he may get shifted back to the MI in the next year or two. Roberts' deal is up at the end of this year and Hardy's the year after so there's opportunity there.

If Machado is going to move back to MI, it will be after Hardy leaves. Machado isn't going to play 2nd and they aren't going to move Hardy off Shortstop as long as he's in Baltimore. While Machado will more than likely be moved to short after Hardy leaves, it would not surprise me if they just kept him at 3rd. Roberts will hopefully be replaced by Schoop.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Call me crazy, but i think Machado develops his power stroke this season a la Hanley Ramirez.

I got him down for 25 HR's and 85 RBI... Playing in that division and hitting in Camden, Yankee Stadium, Fenway and Rogers Centre you are looking at some hitters' paradises. He can probably chip in 10 steals too. Let's see what this kid can do, i know it is a bold prediction but hopefully I am right. For the cheap pricetag, you could do much worse on an upside pick.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Call me crazy, but i think Machado develops his power stroke this season a la Hanley Ramirez.

I got him down for 25 HR's and 85 RBI... Playing in that division and hitting in Camden, Yankee Stadium, Fenway and Rogers Centre you are looking at some hitters' paradises. He can probably chip in 10 steals too. Let's see what this kid can do, i know it is a bold prediction but hopefully I am right. For the cheap pricetag, you could do much worse on an upside pick.

I just don't see it. I think he has a solid month or two at some point but will have some time of struggles. Under 20hr though should get some RBIs.

Apparently he's going to start the season batting 2nd. I doubt he bats there the entire year, but if he holds on to it...you can up his run and rbi totals. I still see him as a 15 hr 10 sb guy for the year.