Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Iman Shumpert 2012-2013 Season Outlook

224 posts in this topic

He's sitting on my waiver wire right now. With Kidd and Felton out there, as well as JR Smith coming off the bench, will he even get enough playing time (20+ mpg) to be relevant?

He's sitting on my waiver wire right now. With Kidd and Felton out there, as well as JR Smith coming off the bench, will he even get enough playing time (20+ mpg) to be relevant?

I think he will be able to get 20 minutes a night...I would even bet on him probably starting when he gets back to 100%. He's one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, I would think the Knicks would find some PT for him.

will this guy be getting a lot of playing time? Knicks are deep.

gauging his value -- would you drop Danny Green or Gordon Hayward?

will this guy be getting a lot of playing time? Knicks are deep.

gauging his value -- would you drop Danny Green or Gordon Hayward?

id drop Green. Hell get 25 minutes maybe 30 with felton out as well

So is he a must-own player? 12 team? 14 team?

With the Knicks depth, isn't there a good chance his minutes are limited for awhile?

So is he a must-own player? 12 team? 14 team?

With the Knicks depth, isn't there a good chance his minutes are limited for awhile?

no way, hell get his minutes no matter what, other players will have to step aside for him. hes a must add in 12 teamers and up

Can't wait till shump comes back but, yea this guy is a must add for 12+ teamers when 100% healthy. He'll get you elite steals, a solid amount of assists and rebounds and he gets to the line with good FT%. He's probably the most consistent defender the Knicks had last season, so he'll be getting a chunk of the minutes when he's back 100%. Brewer's too much of a offensive liability to get more minutes over shump even though he is a bigger body.

I'm optimistic about his shooting this season since he's been working on it a lot during his rehab with Knicks shooting coach Dave Hopla. The only thing that's suspect was his ability to finish layups on drives, but I doubt he'll be driving as much coming back and he'll likely rely on his jumper.

must own player? Maybe in 14+ team leagues. Dude is basically going to a Tony Allen coming off ACL surgery, tough to be that high on him.

must own player? Maybe in 14+ team leagues. Dude is basically going to a Tony Allen coming off ACL surgery, tough to be that high on him.

He had a long stretch where him and Brooks were star studded last year.

I agree, I'm surprised with all the optimism with Iman.

I'd be much more optimistic if Kidd was breaking down and playing like an old man, but Kidd is balling. Even with Felton out, the PG/SG positions is still strong with Kidd, Pablo, JR Smith.

He had a long stretch where him and Brooks were star studded last year.

u mean the first couple of weeks when NY fans were calling him the next Dwade? :lol:

I'd be much more optimistic if Kidd was breaking down and playing like an old man, but Kidd is balling. Even with Felton out, the PG/SG positions is still strong with Kidd, Pablo, JR Smith.

I agree with this assessment. His stats don't seem that overly impressive and the situation he's returning to will limit his upside. However, he has talent and if he's given the minutes, he'll become valuable.

Regardless, he seems like a guy you can watch before picking up.

Also agree. His upside will be limited as the Knicks ease him back to be ready for the playoffs. The Knicks have enough depth at the PG and SG positions. Tony Allen with some 3s is about right.

I agree with this assessment. His stats don't seem that overly impressive and the situation he's returning to will limit his upside. However, he has talent and if he's given the minutes, he'll become valuable.

Regardless, he seems like a guy you can watch before picking up.

Hahahhahahaa must add ... Jr smith is ballin n ahead of Him shump may get 15 20 min a night

exactly what i'm thinking

wait... i thought iman will start at the 2 and kidd moving to the bench. wasn't that the plan the begining of the year?

1 person likes this

His minutes won't be an issue. Shump is necessary for NY to be successful and everyone in the organization knows it. Like somebody else said, guys will have to move out of the way to make room for Shump.

That said, I don't know how fantasy-relevant he'll be. His true value on the court doesn't translate statistically but he'll be useful for steals and should supply minimal help with assists and boards.

Wonder how the minutes will be distributed--the wings are pretty stacked.

Between PG and SG, you have

Felton, Kidd, Prigioni, Shumpert, Smith, Brewer. Brewer and Smith can play at the SF occasionally but that's a crowded situation still, esp at the SG position.

Wonder how the minutes will be distributed--the wings are pretty stacked.

Between PG and SG, you have

Felton, Kidd, Prigioni, Shumpert, Smith, Brewer. Brewer and Smith can play at the SF occasionally but that's a crowded situation still, esp at the SG position.

Prigioni will likely be reduced to very minimal minutes when everyone is healthy. Upon Shump's return, I see Brewer's role almost vanishing on nights when they don't need him to guard a big athletic wing.

Felton will obviosuly remain the PG1, running the offense for 30-plus minutes a night. Smith will remain the offensive anchor of the second unit who sees a lot of minutes down the stretch.

It will be interesting to see where Kidd's role ends up. Obviously he's played well enough to remain a key part of the gameplan but I'm don't think Woodson will be willing to have Kidd, Felton, and Shump on the court at the same time very often.

They will definitely want to rest Kidd after Felton returns, though. The plan was to monitor his minutes and now he's going to be playing over 30 on most nights. The Knicks need him ready for a potential playoff run. As well as he's played, don't be surprised if his minutes take a hit as the season progresses and New York gets healthy.

Does Shumpert's eventual return hurt JR long term, making JR a bigtime sell-high now, or can JR retain this value with Shumpert around? I've watched a lot of Knicks games this year and still can't figure out how timeshares will ultimately play out.

Prob a good question for the JR thread :)

Does Shumpert's eventual return hurt JR long term, making JR a bigtime sell-high now, or can JR retain this value with Shumpert around?

Smith's minutes may take a small hit due simply to the volume of guys that will be in NY's rotation, but he and Shump play very different roles. JR's offense is essential and none of the other guards (except Felton occasionally) can provide the same offensive spark. Smith's minutes are relatively safe.