Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Homerj24

Hyun-Jin Ryu 2013 Outlook

1,109 posts in this topic

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Dodgers have signed Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to a six-year, $36 million contract.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal and Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times have confirmed the deal. The Dodgers won the negotiating rights to Ryu with a $25.74 million posting fee and expect him to be part of their starting rotation next season. Ryu will join a crowded pitching staff that includes Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Josh Beckett, and Chad Billingsley as starters. According to Yahoo's Jeff Passan, the Dodgers payroll is now higher than the GDP of at least four countries.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Dodgers have signed Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to a six-year, $36 million contract.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal and Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times have confirmed the deal. The Dodgers won the negotiating rights to Ryu with a $25.74 million posting fee and expect him to be part of their starting rotation next season. Ryu will join a crowded pitching staff that includes Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Josh Beckett, and Chad Billingsley as starters. According to Yahoo's Jeff Passan, the Dodgers payroll is now higher than the GDP of at least four countries.

Unrelated to Hyun-Jin but that part is insane.

Razzball's initial projects are 14-10/3.55/1.14/165, but Grey admits that it's a complete guess. He didn't give an innings total, but I would guess that it would be somewhere around 175-185 innings.

In that Division i feel like every player is rosterable. Shoot, if Ted Lilly can be a stud for some time last year so can this guy. Pitching at Petco and in SF in super pitching parks will be nice. None of those lineups are crazy offensively either. I actually really like those Razzball projections.

Before we all pile on the speculation train, is there any real info on a rough equivalency from his previous league to the mlb? I remember hearing the cuban league is roughly AA ball, which admittedly didn't do any justice predicting cespedes, but is there a general rule of thumb to go by here? Just curious, as I know absolutely nothin bout this guy

I'd have to do more research on this guy to get something more valuable on him, but my initial impression is that he's definitely rosterable and draftable since he doesn't have the hype that players like Yu Darvish have (not that I expect Darvish expectation numbers) so he could end up to your late-mid to late rounds, and at that point, I'd snatch him up.

In that Division i feel like every player is rosterable. Shoot, if Ted Lilly can be a stud for some time last year so can this guy. Pitching at Petco and in SF in super pitching parks will be nice. None of those lineups are crazy offensively either. I actually really like those Razzball projections.

Ted Lilly was a lot better before he moved to the NL West. Granted that has more to do with age and injury.... but you make it seem like Lilly was a garbage pitcher who became useful when he moved to the NL West, when it's pretty much the opposite.

Ted Lilly was a lot better before he moved to the NL West. Granted that has more to do with age and injury.... but you make it seem like Lilly was a garbage pitcher who became useful when he moved to the NL West, when it's pretty much the opposite.

Hes an OK pitcher, but him and Capuano came out of nowhere because of that schedule and league. Especially after the season Lilly had the year before last, but he was injured for most of the season anyways so i guess it doesnt even matter.

Anyways, he'll be wildly overpriced in my league, but he could be a good pickup late in many leagues.

I get what you're saying and I agree, just thought you could have used a better example. Dodgers should get quite a few more wins this year too. They only had Adrian for like 1/3 of the season and Kemp was largely hurt for the first half.

I agree that this guy has some nice parks to pitch in in the NL West and should have some run support. However, you are basically paying for a complete unknown on draft day. The Dodgers see something in him to give him all that money, but it seems like they are just handing out contracts these days. With the abundance of pitching in my league on draft day, I'm just not willing to spend more than a few bucks on this guy. That being said, I think all of these facts will scare off other owners and if you get him for cheap, I think you will have a solid pitcher.

He was a stud for Korea at the WBC. I was more impressed watching him pitch than DiceK or Darvish.

So....what the hell does everyone think of this guy? I don't even know what to think or even a ballpark figure for projecting him.

Rotochamp says: 160IP, 10 W, 4.05/1.33 with 139 k

So....what the hell does everyone think of this guy? I don't even know what to think or even a ballpark figure for projecting him.

Rotochamp says: 160IP, 10 W, 4.05/1.33 with 139 k

FAT

1 person likes this

I am hoping he will be buried in the rotation and will be a "sleeper". I know he is not a sleeper but if he faces other teams 4th and 5th starters I see a lot of success.

I am hoping he will be buried in the rotation and will be a "sleeper". I know he is not a sleeper but if he faces other teams 4th and 5th starters I see a lot of success.

You do understand that rotations and schedules from one team to another do not always match up that way. If he was the #4 or #5 to start the season, and the Dodgers had a 3-game series followed by a day off, he could conceivably start against another team's #1 in his very first matchup. Or, a the #5, he could potentially get skipped for the first few weeks.

One of the hardest players to scout this year, very few guys have come from Korea and played right away, so it's hard to get a feel for how his stats will translate. He's been filthy the last 3 years with a combined line of 2.51 ERA / 1.06 WHIP / 9.42 K/9, but again is this even against AA quality? Worse? Better?

Favorable situation, good pitchers park with 2 other extreme pitchers parks in the division; good lineup, and he's left handed with a great change up. He pitched in the 2009 WBC, albeit as a 21-year old reliever, gave up 2 runs over 7 and record a win and 7 k's in a Silver Medal performance by the South Korean squad. Pitched on the Gold Medal winning team at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, going 2-0 in 2 starts with 13k's in 17.1ip (nearly 2 complete games).

I see him being somewhat of a "Crafty Lefty", should be around 90 mph with his fastball; his K/9 won't be near 9 in the Majors, but his Walks should be in the low 2's per 9, so if he can keep the K/9 up around 7.5 his Command will still be up around 3.0 or more.

You do understand that rotations and schedules from one team to another do not always match up that way. If he was the #4 or #5 to start the season, and the Dodgers had a 3-game series followed by a day off, he could conceivably start against another team's #1 in his very first matchup. Or, a the #5, he could potentially get skipped for the first few weeks.

Yes I do understand that but what I was trying to say he will be buried in the rotation and I see a Wei-Yen Chen type of season with maybe some more strikeouts....

I was impressed the time I saw him pitch, but I did read that he might begin in the minors, that Dodgers staff is pretty full right now.

Seems like no one is talking about this guy, and he might have some value this year. I have heard good things and as Zumaya has mentioned he has looked good in international competition. I might be tartgeting him heavily for this year, but I still dont really know much about him.

I mean, who wouldnt want to have this guy on their team

460x.jpg

1 person likes this

A fat Yu Darvish? Count me in. No seriously though, I love his value this year and plan on having him on each of teams this year. I won't have that chance next year.

For his price on where I have him mocked in my league to, it's too much of a high reward to not take a leap of faith, especially with usuallly how well pitchesr from Asia usually do in their first year as hitters have not seen them yet.

Currently he isnt even ranked on the top 90 SP for ESPN. I think he could have some real nice value

Heard he reported to camp at 255

I will be drafting this fat slob on every team of mine

1 person likes this