Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ragnaroker

James Shields 2013 Outlook

334 posts in this topic

Rumors say he was traded to the Royals... Myers likely involved, nothing confirmed yet.

EDIT: Shields and Wade Davis to Royals for Myers and others.

The Royals really don't make much sense. I know Shields will help them, but they aren't ready to contend and just gave up the top hitting prospect and more for him. Davis isn't much. This is a classic TB trade though. Shields was going to be expensive, so they trade him now and get a big prospect to help restock the farm. Great trade for Tampa, horrible trade for KC.

Davis would be a pretty nice piece to bring in,hes performed admirably in the AL East, a move to the Central would certainly help the numbers and he was a pretty highly regarded prospect whos still young enough to flip the switch. This is a move that seems to indicate KC thinks they can contend for the AL Central now and if thats the case then Im all for them making the move as their pitching is a clear problem. If they can make the move and win the AL Central (not a given) then it makes sense for them as it would be a huge boost to an otherwise moribund franchise.

Though I will agree it doesnt give them a true #1 pitcher and would seem to leave them with a bunch of #4 type guys behind Shields, its all value and team judgement, and for some reason they think it can push them over the top. For a hitting prospect the caliber of Myers this deal seems light though, for sure. Youd think they could have done better

Seems there are still major names involved that haven't been stated here yet... just gonna have to wait and see the details but it's a strange move for the Royals imo.

KC just proved they shouldnt play with the big boys, now Jake Odorizzi is in the deal. So its an elite hitting prospect plus a highly regarded pitching prospect for Shields/Davis...awesome...

Shields AND Davis (and PTBNL) to #Royals for OF Myers, RHP Odorizzi, LHP Montgomery, 3B Leonard

Wow really? Yikes for the Royals...

Shields AND Davis (and PTBNL) to #Royals for OF Myers, RHP Odorizzi, LHP Montgomery, 3B Leonard

Deal went from good to great for TB.

^Depends on the PTBNL now heading to the Royals...

Unless it starts with P and rhymes with vice :D jk

^Depends on the PTBNL now heading to the Royals...

Its gonna have to be a pretty good asset to move the needle back KC's way on this one.

lol if I knew the Royals were going to accept THAT package, the Yankees should have offered Hughes and Nova. What an awful trade by KC.....giving up all of that for two years of Shields and , at best, a #4 starter in Wade Davis

robneyer robneyer ‏@robneyer

My quick take: This is the worst trade in MLB history unless Wade Davis becomes a good starter, in which case it's only the second worst.

robneyer ‏@robneyer

Also, this is what happens when you're the Royals and you start talking to a bunch of really, really smart guys about a trade

robneyer robneyer ‏@robneyer

My quick take: This is the worst trade in MLB history unless Wade Davis becomes a good starter, in which case it's only the second worst.

robneyer ‏@robneyer

Also, this is what happens when you're the Royals and you start talking to a bunch of really, really smart guys about a trade

I think KC brass hates their fans.

Also, Montgomery has been a train wreck the last few years, but he's a lefty with a big arm. Watch Tampa straighten him out and make him into a useful back end starter.

I can't believe Odorizzi is involved in this trade. WOW, just wow......Shields better win the CY young award next year.

Also, Montgomery has been a train wreck the last few years, but he's a lefty with a big arm. Watch Tampa straighten him out and make him into a useful back end starter.

For real! Montgomery was supposed to be that front line starter for the royals....watch him explode for the rays.

Awful trade for Kansas City...

...great trade for James Shields fantasy value. Getting out of the AL East and into the AL Central is a huge plus, and Royals offense should be equal to or greater than the Rays offense next year.

The AL Central isn't that bad offensively. Detroit and CWS are solid offensive clubs. Minnesota has a strong middle of the order and Cleveland has some pretty good offensive pieces. It's Minnesota and Cleveland's rotations that are huge problems. Also, the AL East was very overrated offensively last year. Toronto and Boston were decimated in the second half and were doing nothing offensively. Baltimore is a low OBP team who relies on the long ball.

Shields is a solid pitcher, but he's had years where he's been hit around badly. I don't think his value improves that much with the trade. Both KC and Tampa are pitcher's ballparks.

1 person likes this

Very dumb. It's not like a Shields-Ervin-Guthrie-W.Davis (assuming he starts)-Chen/Hochevar staff is that good anyways. At least the Royals are trying to win now, but they sacrificed too much for some extra wins that still won't get them into the playoffs. Also, if Hosmer doesn't bounce back, their offense won't be much more than average anyways. As for Shields, in theory it is an upgrade to an easier division.

One facet of trade to consider, TB had all the leverage as there were multiple teams interested in Shields. Who ever got him was going to end up overpaying based on that and his team friendly deal. I still dont like it for KC, but there was going to be a premium price. The rub here is that current Royals + Shields/Davis is not a playoff team, thats what they had to be looking at this as and it sure seems like they missed.

But, like I said before I would rather see a team that thinks they are close make a bold move than sit back on prospects that may never materialize or when they do materialize still not be in position to contend.

One facet of trade to consider, TB had all the leverage as there were multiple teams interested in Shields. Who ever got him was going to end up overpaying based on that and his team friendly deal. I still dont like it for KC, but there was going to be a premium price. The rub here is that current Royals + Shields/Davis is not a playoff team, thats what they had to be looking at this as and it sure seems like they missed.

But, like I said before I would rather see a team that thinks they are close make a bold move than sit back on prospects that may never materialize or when they do materialize still not be in position to contend.

Well said. We can debate if KC got fleeced or not but I give them credit for taking the chance. Plus it sounds like a lot of the other potential deals they sought out for Myers weren't coming together.

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan

Myers for Shields wasn't only straight-up deal Royals tried. KC offered Wil Myers to Oakland for Brett Anderson and were turned down, too.