Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bkswag

Latino point guards in 2013

35 posts in this topic

I just noticed there are 3 very good latino pg's in the league now, for a while it was only Carlos Arroyos .. Now there's Greivis Vasquez, Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon and to some extent jj barea, Pablo prigioni ... Just some fun facts since I'm proud and have 2 on my fantasy team... Lol

Politically speaking, wouldn't it be Hispanic, not Latino? But back to the point, basketball's popularity in Spain has been high for a while now, and we're beginning to see some products from that.

I doubt that an Italian and 2 Spaniards would want to be called "latinos."

6 people like this

Posted · Hidden by dzemens, December 12, 2012 - Obvious reasons. · Report post

Your mom was a pretty good one.

I doubt that an Italian and 2 Spaniards would want to be called "latinos."

Who's this Italian you speak of? lol and I guess ur right the spaniards wouldn't be considered Latino being they are from Europe and not from Latin America ..

Hispanic i guess would be a better word here. But I like the word Latino better because it encompassed more Spanish speaking cultures ...

Politically speaking, wouldn't it be Hispanic, not Latino? But back to the point, basketball's popularity in Spain has been high for a while now, and we're beginning to see some products from that.

Very true...

I just noticed there are 3 very good latino pg's in the league now, for a while it was only Carlos Arroyos .. Now there's Greivis Vasquez, Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon and to some extent jj barea, Pablo prigioni ... Just some fun facts since I'm proud and have 2 on my fantasy team... Lol

Vasquez and JJ Barea are the only Latinos. The other 3 have latin descent but are considered Europeans.

1 person likes this

naah, sergio rodriguez, juan carlos navarro, and rudy fernandez were all rivals with carlos arroyo....leandro barbosa is also technically hispanic.

Posted · Hidden by dzemens, December 12, 2012 - Response to post meant to incite. · Report post

Yea ur right she was a great point guard in her highschool years. Unlike your mom who's just good at playing with balls ...

Your mom was a pretty good one.

how about "mario" chalmers, does he count?

Nah with a name like Mario, he must be Italian.

His real name is Almario Vernard

Fun fact: that literally means "the old country" in italian.

Is Jeremy Lin hispanic or latino?

asian, but Latinos are mixed with Indigenous/white and, Indigenous people came from Asia

Pau and Marc Gasol Latinos! Dont forget about Steve Blake... And the guy on the knicks Carmelo from Italy has been killing it

Fun fact: that literally means "the old country" in italian.

Oh, did not know that

Is Jeremy Lin hispanic or latino?

asian, but Latinos are mixed with Indigenous/white and, Indigenous came from Asia

We are all African.

Vasquez and JJ Barea are the only Latinos. The other 3 have latin descent but are considered Europeans.

Lol some of you might think this is a dumb subject but I find this stuff interesting, I had a class about all this stuff and it stuck with me. Spanish people (meaning in Spain, Europe) have much more in common genetically (mitoDNA) with the rest of Europe than Latin America. A large amount of Spanish, French & even Irish (see black Irish) all have common ancestry, which is why JJ Redick doesn't look all that different from Ricky Rubio minus some body hair. Plus, Spain itself is really ethnically diverse being inhabited by Basque, Catalian, Arab conquerors, etc.

That being said though, Latino refers to Latin America, which is basically Mexico on South. For some reason it includes places like Brazil which is Portugese speaking and more diverse than the USA and places like Uruguay & Argentina which are almost totally Italian even though they speak Spanish. So Prigioni, Barea, Vasquez, Barbosa, Ginobili are all Latino guards. Latino has really no more relation to Spain than it does to Italy or Portugal. Hispanic on the other the other hand includes any Spanish speaking country, but they have about as much as English speaking countries have in common (ie Argentina is 80% Italian but is Hispanic bc it's Spanish speaking just like the US is only a small % British English), so calling a player from there Hispanic is like calling Kevin Love Engish. Anyway, sorry, I doubt anyone besides me even finds this interesting lol.

4 people like this

Pau and Marc Gasol Latinos! Dont forget about Steve Blake... And the guy on the knicks Carmelo from Italy has been killing it

Yea the guys on the Knicks is actually from Venezuela .. I mentioned him in the original post