Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yort1919

Top Minor Leaguers Who Will Have MLB Impact In 2013

A lot of these guys depend on injury. I think Profar is the most ready to play in the big leagues, but if Andrus and Kinsler stay healthy for the entire season I doubt he will see much time there. I think Puig is a guy who will see time in the majors if there is injury in the OF for the Dodgers. His spring numbers just cannot be ignored. I like Bundy's chances to come up too, I don't think the Orioles have a very strong 5 (Arrieta) and I think they'll give Bundy a shot after a few rough outings from Arrieta. Overall I'd say there are a lot of players that could get the call-up, they're just waiting on the opportunity.

I predict Gausman will be up before Bundy.

I'm not so sure. Gausman had some control issues this spring and needs to iron them out. Bundy looked better this spring.

I do expect both to be up this year though. Arrieta isn't very good and at least one of Gonzalez or Tillman are bound to regress. I'm a believer in Hammel and Chen, but one of the other will fall back down. One will be up by the end of May, and the other probably in August.

A lot of these guys depend on injury. I think Profar is the most ready to play in the big leagues, but if Andrus and Kinsler stay healthy for the entire season I doubt he will see much time there.

Moreland too, Kinsler would slide to 1st. I think there's a good chance an injury to beltre or berkman could expedite it too.

Gonna say Arenado. Nelson sucks.

He sucked last year too.

A lot of these guys depend on injury. I think Profar is the most ready to play in the big leagues, but if Andrus and Kinsler stay healthy for the entire season I doubt he will see much time there. I think Puig is a guy who will see time in the majors if there is injury in the OF for the Dodgers. His spring numbers just cannot be ignored. I like Bundy's chances to come up too, I don't think the Orioles have a very strong 5 (Arrieta) and I think they'll give Bundy a shot after a few rough outings from Arrieta. Overall I'd say there are a lot of players that could get the call-up, they're just waiting on the opportunity.

I'm not so sure. Gausman had some control issues this spring and needs to iron them out. Bundy looked better this spring.

I do expect both to be up this year though. Arrieta isn't very good and at least one of Gonzalez or Tillman are bound to regress. I'm a believer in Hammel and Chen, but one of the other will fall back down. One will be up by the end of May, and the other probably in August.

I'm surprised you think that - the growing consensus with most die-hard O's fans is that Gausman is ahead of Bundy right now. I thought Gausman looked better this spring, better velocity and more movement on his pitches.

Bundy's velocity was down from what he's accustomed to throwing (he was sitting at 91-93 for his first start, then added some MPH later on in the spring). He had 5 K's and 6 walks in 8.0 innings compared to Gausman's 17 K's and 6 walks in 16 innings. Obviously a small sample size against spring training competition, and I expect Bundy to pick up his velocity, but I think Gausman is solidly ahead of Bundy right now. Which makes some sense, because Gausman's 2 years older.

Either way, it's a good thing that this is even a debate, it's such a nice change to have two young stud pitchers like Bundy and Gausman. If both pan out we're going to be a perennial playoff team.

I'm surprised you think that - the growing consensus with most die-hard O's fans is that Gausman is ahead of Bundy right now. I thought Gausman looked better this spring, better velocity and more movement on his pitches.

Bundy's velocity was down from what he's accustomed to throwing (he was sitting at 91-93 for his first start, then added some MPH later on in the spring). He had 5 K's and 6 walks in 8.0 innings compared to Gausman's 17 K's and 6 walks in 16 innings. Obviously a small sample size against spring training competition, and I expect Bundy to pick up his velocity, but I think Gausman is solidly ahead of Bundy right now. Which makes some sense, because Gausman's 2 years older.

Either way, it's a good thing that this is even a debate, it's such a nice change to have two young stud pitchers like Bundy and Gausman. If both pan out we're going to be a perennial playoff team.

I actually like both quite a bit for coming up this season. I agree that Gausman is a bit ahead of Bundy as of now. Bundy's spring, as you mentioned, was not as impressive as many people hoped, but I think that he will be competing with Gausman for the 5th spot later in the season. I think Bundy will fully regain his velocity this season in the minor leagues. I'd like to think his drop in the spring is just because he is a bit out of shape and the time in the minors will correct that. I don't follow the Orioles very closely, so I'm not sure, but that's how I saw it. If his velocity returns to 100% then I think he will get the call up before Gausman. I'd say they both have a good shot though.

I actually like both quite a bit for coming up this season. I agree that Gausman is a bit ahead of Bundy as of now. Bundy's spring, as you mentioned, was not as impressive as many people hoped, but I think that he will be competing with Gausman for the 5th spot later in the season. I think Bundy will fully regain his velocity this season in the minor leagues. I'd like to think his drop in the spring is just because he is a bit out of shape and the time in the minors will correct that. I don't follow the Orioles very closely, so I'm not sure, but that's how I saw it. If his velocity returns to 100% then I think he will get the call up before Gausman. I'd say they both have a good shot though.

I just see Bundy coming up first over Gausman. I am under the assumption that Bundy's velocity will return in the minors. They both have to hit AA to come up, but AAA isn't necessary, so they are both on the fast track. I just think Gausman will get a little bit more time down (maybe an extra month) to gain experience over Bundy.

Let's just hope they don't follow the trend like past Orioles pitching prospects. Arrieta, Berken, Bergesen, Matusz (I like him as a reliever, but I doubt LOOGY is what they had in mind for him), Penn, etc. that have all struggled.

I predict Puig or Wheeler will be up first. We shall see.

Did everyone forget about Wil Myers? He is the most seasoned all the prospects listed so far. You cant go any higher than AAA which is where he is now. Tampa only sent him down to secure a extra year on his contract. Similar to Longoria when he was called up I think he will be up at the end of April. Below is the predicted starting lineup for the Rays on opening day.

Tampa Bay Rays

1. CF: Desmond Jennings

2. LF: Matt Joyce

3. 3B: Evan Longoria

4. RF: Ben Zobrist

5. DH: Luke Scott

6. SS: Yunel Escobar

7. 1B: James Loney

8. C: Jose Molina

9. 2B: Kelly Johnson

Joyce and Jennings are pretty stabalized in the OF. You look at the infield positions though all pretty weak except for Longo. Loney sucks, Johnson not good, Escobar not real good at all. Luke Scott DH always hurt. They can move Zobrist to 1B, 2B, SS pretty much anywhere in the infield. Will Myers would be fine in RF. Theres no reason to keep Myers in the minors any longer. Make sense?

Well the first up award would have to go to Gyorko with Bradley looking to take second place. Sox look content to send Bradley down later for the "service time" thing to hold on to him for an extra year that way. They haven't made the official announcement yet but Bradley is aboard the plane carrying the team to NY for their opener against the Yankees. As one reporter in Boston said, "I don't think he is coming along just to go sight seeing there."

No Oscar Taveras?

If the Cardinals are out of the playoffs late in the season I could see him coming up. Or injury of course. I think the Cardinals have a very solid outfield (Holliday, Jay, Beltran) and the only one who could have some problems is Jay because most of his value lies in his ability to keep his average up. If Jay's average drops to an unacceptable level then I could see Taveras coming up, but otherwise I think they'd keep their OF the same. I'd watch Beltran for injury though considering his age.

I predict Puig or Wheeler will be up first. We shall see.

I think we'll see Wheeler soon too. Who's going to take Santana's spot?

I agree about Wil Myers. He'll be up as soon as Tampa gets that extra year. So end of April.

It looks like you can now add Jose Fernandez to the list, although I will be surprised if he wins more than 6 games given that offense and his innings limit. Prediction: 6W, 140 IP, 120K, 3.80 ERA, 1.28 WHIP.

The Dark Horse, Jose Fernandez wins.

Can we change this thread to the 'which prospect gets called up NEXT' now?

I agree about Wil Myers. He'll be up as soon as Tampa gets that extra year. So end of April.

Didn't RotoRaysFan say that it might be late June because the Rays are so damn poor/cheap that they want to delay Super-2?

Who would you rather own in a redraft if they got called up the same day, Myers or Taveras?

Who would you rather own in a redraft if they got called up the same day, Myers or Taveras?

Taveras, no doubt.

Myers' K rate is something to watch, and I think it will continue for much of his career. The power numbers will be there as soon as he's called up, but I think as a rookie he's going to be a huge BA drain.

Taveras just hits....and hits....and hits. The power numbers won't be the same as Myers, but he won't kill your team at the same time, while providing a worthwhile return.

OF Wil Myers

OF Oscar Taveras

SS Billy Hamilton

SP Gerrit Cole

C Mike Zunino

3B Nolan Arenado

SP Trevor Bauer

OF Christian Yelich (who knows)

Waiver priorities mean alot more this year than usual. It's not 2012 where there was superstar rookies Harper, Trout, Cespedes, Darvish, etc....but these guys aren't too shabby either. I'm hoping to get atleast 1 from this list.

OF Wil Myers

OF Oscar Taveras

SS Billy Hamilton

SP Gerrit Cole

C Mike Zunino

3B Nolan Arenado

SP Trevor Bauer

OF Christian Yelich (who knows)

Waiver priorities mean alot more this year than usual. It's not 2012 where there was superstar rookies Harper, Trout, Cespedes, Darvish, etc....but these guys aren't too shabby either. I'm hoping to get atleast 1 from this list.

What, no Didi Gregorius? Are you implying that Didi isn't every bit as good as Bauer?????

For this season, Myers. I also feel a lot more confident he will be up soon. It's pretty much a given he's just being kept down for about 3 weeks for service time reasons. Taveras is far less certain. I also think Myers will provide a more immediate fantasy impact. Long-term, I'd easily rather have Taveras. But right now I'd take Myers in redrafts.

For this season, Myers. I also feel a lot more confident he will be up soon. It's pretty much a given he's just being kept down for about 3 weeks for service time reasons. Taveras is far less certain. I also think Myers will provide a more immediate fantasy impact. Long-term, I'd easily rather have Taveras. But right now I'd take Myers in redrafts.

It's tough to get good value out of any Rays outfielder. Even with daily lineups, you're never quite sure who Maddon is going to play on a particular day. It seems clear that if Taveras comes up, he's in all the time. That would be a lot tougher to say with Myers.

Where does anyone rank the order of when they get called up for Hultzen, Cingrani, and Wheeler. Would you also consider them the next 3 impact minor league SP to get called up or is there someone else I'm missing?

Where does anyone rank the order of when they get called up for Hultzen, Cingrani, and Wheeler. Would you also consider them the next 3 impact minor league SP to get called up or is there someone else I'm missing?

Id say Wheeler,Hultzen,Cingriani in that order. You could throw Archer into that mix... shouldnt be too long for him either.