Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baltimore_boy

Cincinnati Reds 2013 Outlook

31 posts in this topic

After two straight disappointing playoff runs, are the Reds actual contenders this year? On paper, they seem to be pretty good. Rotation headlined by Latos, Cueto, and Chapman and a solid lineup centered around Votto, Phillips, Choo, Bruce, Frazier, and Ludwick. A few questions for the Reds this year:

Will Broxton be successful in the closer role?

Will Chapman's arm hold up for a full year of starting?

Who starts behind the plate?

Does Billy Hamilton eventually fit in some place?

Can Arroyo, Bailey, and Leake follow up decent years to fill in the 4th and 5th starter roles?

Will the lack of depth matter this year?

One other major question is Votto. He was not MVP contender Joey Votto coming down the stretch after the injury. The power just wasnt back yet. I like the Reds, I think the NL is tough but they can be one of the better teams. Going into the playoffs I liked them and Detroit and they looked good the first two games, then Cueto got hurt, Rolen made the error in game 3 and despite the GS by Posey in the decider, they had a lot of good opps and just couldnt get the timely hit to tie or pull ahead.

they do look good on paper. obviously, the chapman to the rotation/broxton to closer decision is the huge one. personally, i would have left Chapman as closer and may have made different decisions than re-sigining Ludwick and Broxton.

could have put Choo in left, gone with Heisey in center and used the ludwick/broxton money to pick up a cf/4th of type guy, a 5th starter to keep Leake as the long man/spot starter ,and less expensive right handed set up guy to complement Marshall and Chapman.

but their bench seems reasonably solid to me- the rotation could be very good- broxton and bullpen depth if anything, plus the managerial stylings of dusty baker, the concerns...

With Ludwick gone and Heisey pooping the bed (with Paul being marginally better) - how long before they just call up Billy Hamilton? I have about a dozen Reds blogs on my RSS feed and I check every morning to see if there's even an inkling that Billy will get called up. I just don't understand why it's not even a consideration.

The Phillies have Galvis in the OF, a kid who has never played the OF before, so the lack of experience out there should hardly be the reason. Hamilton has the ability to be a game changer and it's unfortunate they're keeping this kid down and not even considering a call up given how awful the alternatives have been.

With Ludwick gone and Heisey pooping the bed (with Paul being marginally better) - how long before they just call up Billy Hamilton? I have about a dozen Reds blogs on my RSS feed and I check every morning to see if there's even an inkling that Billy will get called up. I just don't understand why it's not even a consideration.

The Phillies have Galvis in the OF, a kid who has never played the OF before, so the lack of experience out there should hardly be the reason. Hamilton has the ability to be a game changer and it's unfortunate they're keeping this kid down and not even considering a call up given how awful the alternatives have been.

He has a .594 OPS in AAA. (.386 over his last 10) Why would they call him up?

You're forgetting one small detail

Hamilton is sucking horribly in AAA.

The 13 steals in 12 games.

Steals are not worth as much in the MLB as they are in Fantasy Baseball. Those Steals with that OPS is just polishing a Turd.. I'm pretty sure its in their Interest to let him Develop more as a hitter in AAA before he makes the leap.

I guess but when you're a WS contender that should be weighed into the equation too. If he gets in scoring position once a game (which he's capable of doing evidenced by his MILB stats) then he's worth taking a chance on. That's a heck of an opportunity for your hitters to have a duck on the pond.

I guess but when you're a WS contender that should be weighed into the equation too. If he gets in scoring position once a game (which he's capable of doing evidenced by his MILB stats) then he's worth taking a chance on. That's a heck of an opportunity for your hitters to have a duck on the pond.

Not all considerations though are for offense. I don't follow the Reds that closely, but are Heisey and Paul (whoever that is) better on the defensive side? Or do you move Choo again to left field and play an untested rookie in CF and let him learn on the job?

Just curious as I was surprised when they didn't call him up right after the injury.

Steals are not worth as much in the MLB as they are in Fantasy Baseball. Those Steals with that OPS is just polishing a Turd.. I'm pretty sure its in their Interest to let him Develop more as a hitter in AAA before he makes the leap.

This. The old adage that you can't steal first base comes into play with Hamilton, right now it doesn't look like he's ready to hit at the MLB level.

22 for 41 in SB's this season lol. Talk about a station to station baseball team.

I still say they're the cream of the NL crop. This is going to be the year

22 for 41 in SB's this season lol. Talk about a station to station baseball team.

they might have lousy basestealing instincts, Choo often just randomly takes off, but wouldn't call them station to station, they go 1st to 3rd on singles, score from 1st on doubles, etc. As a whole that lineup has decent speed, they just kinda suck at stealing bases this year, Phillips knows the most about swiping bags but he's not running much at all from the cleanup spot, maybe cause doesn't want to open a base for Bruce

Cesar Izturis who has a sub .275 OBP his last 1000 MLB at bats, is hitting 2nd in an MLB lineup? Does MLB joint drug program test managers too?

Cesar Izturis who has a sub .275 OBP his last 1000 MLB at bats, is hitting 2nd in an MLB lineup? Does MLB joint drug program test managers too?

Baker clearly took the 50/1 odds against Votto registering 80+ RBIs in 150+ games played

So, after 133 games Dusty decides to put Phillips in the 2nd spot

Just came to post the same thing. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this. Some how this is a last resort to stop the sweep?

So, after 133 games Dusty decides to put Phillips in the 2nd spot

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this.

Neither could I - I was scrolling through the lineups and literally did a triple-take

Is it coincidence that the Reds put up 6 runs in the 1st inning with the new look line up that we've been waiting for?

Here's how the first inning went for Wainwright,

• Shin-Soo Choo singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jon Jay.
  • 2.Brandon Phillips singles on a sharp ground ball to left fielder Matt Holliday. Shin-Soo Choo to 2nd.
  • 3.Joey Votto walks. Shin-Soo Choo to 3rd. Brandon Phillips to 2nd.
  • 4.Jay Bruce singles on a line drive to center fielder Jon Jay. Shin-Soo Choo scores. Brandon Phillips scores. Joey Votto to 2nd.
  • 5.Ryan Ludwick doubles (2) on a line drive to left fielder Matt Holliday. Joey Votto scores. Jay Bruce to 3rd.
  • Coaching visit to mound.
  • 6.Todd Frazier grounds out, second baseman Matt Carpenter to first baseman Allen Craig. Jay Bruce scores. Ryan Ludwick to 3rd.
  • 7.Zack Cozart singles on a ground ball to first baseman Allen Craig.
  • With Ryan Hanigan batting, wild pitch by Adam Wainwright, Ryan Ludwick scores. Zack Cozart to 2nd.
  • 8.Ryan Hanigan grounds out softly, third baseman David Freese to first baseman Allen Craig. Zack Cozart to 3rd.
  • 9.Homer Bailey singles on a line drive to center fielder Jon Jay. Zack Cozart scores.

The Reds should be able to have more nights like this with the current look. Look out Pirates!

Dusty is a genius! Who wouldathunk to put Phillips in the 2 hole ... Brilliant!