Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

th3ory

Stephen Drew 2013 Outlook

48 posts in this topic

wow, his college scouting report is still doing wonders for him

apparently boston still has money to burn still.

for fantasy, i dunno. i wouldn't mind taking a late round flier. though i think there's better guys to gamble on for upside.

nice breakdown here: http://www.overthemonster.com/2012/12/17/3776684/boston-red-sox-stephen-drew-free-agent-fenway-park

his last full season before that gruesome ankle injury: .278/.352/.458... career .265/.328/.433 hitter. career high 21 HR and 10 SB (different years). will be 30 years old when the season starts.

not too shabby for a SS. probably starts 8th or 9th, but if he hits, he can move up to a run producing spot in that lineup.

with the bar for SS being so low, he could be a nice gamble. it won't take a great year for him to be a top 12 SS.

1 person likes this

Honestly...9.5M for this loser? I'd imagine he still has no fantasy relevance with the new uniform.

Understand it's a one year deal so they were going to pay more for just a 1 year deal. Sure Boston probably over paid a bit but they aren't locked in long term.The contract is pretty much exactly what both sides want Boston in the midsts of a rebuild is looking to fill holes with 1 year contracts and Stephen Drew who should start this season off healthy is going to have a chance to prove himself before he goes looking for a long term deal.When Drew was healthy years ago he was a promising young talent. Injuries have slowed his career down.I don't see it out of the question for Drew to hit. 275 with 20 HR over a full season, with potentail for more.

1 person likes this

This will be a big year for Stephen Drew. If he bounces back I'll buy it if not I'm done with him.

1 person likes this

.270+ w/15-18 homers

That is more than reasonable for Drew. I'd say expect something around there but he has potential for even more... Just don't expect it lol.

I will be targeting him in late rounds.I really think he'll have a good year if he manages to stay healthy.Boston's lineup is pretty underrated and he could be another solid piece in it.

I will be targeting him in late rounds.I really think he'll have a good year if he manages to stay healthy.Boston's lineup is pretty underrated and he could be another solid piece in it.

He may be last pick of the draft late. Which could end up becoming insane value.

He may be last pick of the draft late. Which could end up becoming insane value.

If he's there with my last pick I'd give him a look.

.270+ w/15-18 homers

That is more than reasonable for Drew. I'd say expect something around there but he has potential for even more... Just don't expect it lol.

Ya, expectations with the Drew bros always leads to disappointment. Just hoping for a bonus.

.270+ w/15-18 homers

Ya, expectations with the Drew bros always leads to disappointment. Just hoping for a bonus.

That's the beauty of it this year... There aren't any expectations for Drew going into 2013... Or if there is they certainly aren't very high.

With as bad as Drew has been, I wonder if the NL to AL switch even applies to him.

Barely played and already with health issues.

Avoid.

Red Sox SS position cursed since then departure of Nomar

Based on the 1-year/9.5mill deal Boston gave him seems like they have a lot of confidence in him. It's Fenway. I'll definetly be paying close attention to Drew's early season playing time/performance.

Just added him and placed him on my DL in a 16 team league. It will probably be a very short stay as I am waiting for Granderson, Ortiz, and Hanram to go on the DL (we only have 2). I think he still has potential, he is only 2 years removed from a top 5 or so SS.

Drew was cleared for live action on Tuesday morning and wanted to get right back at it. He is on track to join the Red Sox at some point over the next 7-10 days. Jose Iglesias will continue to fill in for now.

I have this same question about lineup placement. He hit a homer tonight in his final minor league tuneup. Would be a treat if he is batting in the two hole with maybe a 2-7 spot platoon with Victorino.

What's his upside? 3 homers and 1 steal? .225 BA?

Where's JD at with the money he stole?

SS is an absolute cesspool on the wire. Drew does have some pop and some track record prior to the recent injuries. He finished strong at the end for the A's.