Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halo Fan

2013 Offseason Closer Thread

669 posts in this topic

I'll start with the NL.

NL West:

Dodgers - League

Giants - Romo

Padres - Street

D'Backs - Putz

Rockies - Betancourt

NL Central:

Reds - Broxton

Brewers - Axford? (Not very good last year)

Cards - Motte

Pirates - Hanrahan? (Trade rumors swirl)

Cubs - Marmol?

NL East:

Braves - Kimbrel

Nationals - Clippard/Storen?

Marlins - Choate

Phillies - Papelbon

Mets - Francisco/Parnell?

Feel free to comment/correct/update.

3 people like this

- David Hernandez could be this year's Chapman/Jansen/Rodney

- Marshall is another possibility for that. he's draftable for ratios and should get another crack if Brox falters or gets hurt again

- Gregerson should finally be a safe #2 behind Street after the job he did before Street got back

- Kenley over League

- Romo gets the kid gloves treatment so Casilla or even Affeldt (Lopez?) might be worth a pick in deeper leagues

- Marmol is as good as gone

- don't think the Pirates will get much for Hanrahan, so they could keep him and hope to trade him at the deadline

- I think Clippard is better than Storen, and will be cheaper in drafts so I might gamble on him

- Choate is a bona fide LOOGY. Cishek is a much better bet to close

- Frank Frank was atrocious and is going under the knife (minor) so I'll take another shot on Parnell

Tier 1 NL

Kimbrel

Tier 2 NL (no order)

Jansen

Motte

Tier 3

Romo

Broxton

Cishek

Street (must handcuff to Gregerson)

Putz (must handcuff to Hernandez)

Betancourt

as usual I'll probably target those tier 3 guys.

League over Jansen for now. That's how the Dodgers see it anyways. They said so and saw it on RW. They also gave League a big contract this off season so after that and hearing their confidence in him I would say League is their guy. Do I agree with it? No. Do I think it will stick? No. Bottom is line is for now if you are talking who has the job all signs point to League.

One thing I am interested in is the Nationals closing situation. I would think Storen gets a shot, but with the way Clippard pitched while he was down it could go either way.

- Marshall is another possibility for that. he's draftable for ratios and should get another crack if Brox falters or gets hurt again

- Gregerson should finally be a safe #2 behind Street after the job he did before Street got back

- Kenley over League

- Romo gets the kid gloves treatment so Casilla or even Affeldt (Lopez?) might be worth a pick in deeper leagues

- don't think the Pirates will get much for Hanrahan, so they could keep him and hope to trade him at the deadline

- I think Clippard is better than Storen, and will be cheaper in drafts so I might gamble on him

- Frank Frank was atrocious and is going under the knife (minor) so I'll take another shot on Parnell

Tier 1 NL

Kimbrel

Tier 2 NL (no order)

Jansen

Motte

Tier 3

Romo

Broxton

Cishek

Betancourt

Where does Papelbon slot in?

Oops! Meant Cishek, not Choate. Choate is definitely a LOOGY, and he's definitely a Cardinal.

I agree that Jansen is the far more talented, but as was already mentioned, the Dodgers are saying League, right now. You also have Jansen's heart issue that may or may not factor into the equation.

I'm not drafting any closers this year. They change. A LOT! How many closers keep their jobs from start to end last year? Just keep close look at monthly closer topic here and you will be fine as the season goes.

For basic leagues that allow unlimited roster moves, that strategy would work. Leagues with move limits, however, that could be a different story.

I'm not drafting any closers this year. They change. A LOT! How many closers keep their jobs from start to end last year? Just keep close look at monthly closer topic here and you will be fine as the season goes.

Actually there were more closers who kept their jobs than lost their jobs.

- Kenley over League

Tier 1 NL

Kimbrel

Tier 2 NL (no order)

Jansen

Motte

Tier 3

Romo

Broxton

Cishek

Betancourt

Where does Papelbon slot in?

oops. I'd probably rate him as the 2nd best in the NL. not in Kimbrel's tier.

didn't know that they pegged League as the closer. I still like Jansen but clearly needs to drop down a tier if he won't be getting saves out the gate.

I hope we don't go down this road again, because it has been beaten to death.

if you play in a competitive league, especially a roto league, it is not as simple as picking up closers from the WW at your leisure.

I hope we don't go down this road again, because it has been beaten to death.

if you play in a competitive league, especially a roto league, it is not as simple as picking up closers from the WW at your leisure.

Personally I prefer to draft 1 solid, proven, secure closer (though there are no guarantees) and take a few shots late in the draft. Once the season starts you must be on top of the ever fluid closer situations and jump on potential closers with solid K/9

2 people like this

Who's going to be the closer to come out of nowhere and surprise everyone this year? It seems like there are always a couple that nobody can see coming. Last year was Rodney and Johnson and 2011 was Putz and Axford. Who's it going to be this year? My early guess is Greg Holland.

How do we feel about

<<<<this guy for 2013

How do we feel about

<<<<this guy for 2013

I'm thinking he puts up another All Star caliber year on a playoff Orioles team.

Who's going to be the closer to come out of nowhere and surprise everyone this year? It seems like there are always a couple that nobody can see coming. Last year was Rodney and Johnson and 2011 was Putz and Axford. Who's it going to be this year? My early guess is Greg Holland.

I don't think Holland is out of nowhere.

my bet is on David Hernandez. we know that, if given the chance, he is a top notch closer. and all that's standing in front of him is a brittle and aging J.J. Putz.

Don't know wtf dodger brass is thinking- have a top 5 closer, then sign a top 30 closer in league, and then explore trades for handratty. Unless this heart thing is worse than we were led to believe, what gives?

I am an owner in an NL Only Dynasty and I am concerned.

For basic leagues that allow unlimited roster moves, that strategy would work. Leagues with move limits, however, that could be a different story.

Our league falls into this category where we can only get guys when guys go on DL, so it makes it tougher. That said, nobody has won our league over last 5 years without finishing top 3 in saves. We do have limited Waiver Wire but closers seem to rarely be on there.

But being a roto league, with 13 teams often times the bottom three teams start to fall out of contention pretty quickly often times one of them has a non-keeper closer type you can pry for pretty cheap OR a team ended up with 3 closers and maybe you can make a deal. There are a lot of options when it comes to finiding a closer, even with the limited pick up system we have, I still wouldnt go overboard for a closer. I might open the season with 3 lower end ones, hoping 2 of them work out and with the instability at the position through the league, a lot of teams go this route, so you can find value.

my bet is on David Hernandez. we know that, if given the chance, he is a top notch closer. and all that's standing in front of him is a brittle and aging J.J. Putz.

I bought on the Holland card last year in Spring, only to see him lose the job to Broxton and proceed to get bombed the first month of the season before finally going on DL (thankfully).

Is Romo going to be an every save opp kind of closer or will they go with committee? I know in the postseason he was the man, but I thought I kept hearing throughout the year that they didnt view him as a guy who has stamina to be night in night out closer?

I bought on the Holland card last year in Spring, only to see him lose the job to Broxton and proceed to get bombed the first month of the season before finally going on DL (thankfully).

Holland rebounded though and was great in the closer's role.

Bruce Rondon is also someone to keep an eye on. He can really pitch and may get the role for Detroit.

How do you guys feel about Casey Janssen and Grant Balfour ? Does Kyle Farnsworth find a closers job in FA ?

How do you guys feel about Casey Janssen and Grant Balfour ? Does Kyle Farnsworth find a closers job in FA ?

I like Janssen and Balfour. Janssen stepped up big last year in the role and is now on a much improved Jays team. The A's are a team built for save chances. Balfour never should have lost the role in the first place. If he holds it all year, I don't see any reason why he can't be in the top 5 for saves.

As for Farnsworth, I wouldn't count on it. There aren't that many closer roles up for grabs right now, and Soriano is probably going to be more coveted if a team is looking for a closer. I think Farnsworth will sign somewhere to be a solid 8th inning guy, and maybe get a chance at the closer's role eventually.

Wow I didnt realize Grilli was 36

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington confirmed Wednesday that Jason Grilli will take over as closer following the trade of Joel Hanrahan.

That was the assumption already, but now it's official. Grilli, who recently re-signed with the Pirates for two years and $6.75 million, has quietly posted a 2.76 ERA and 127/37 K/BB ratio in 91 1/3 innings over the past two seasons. The 36-year-old right-hander should be a popular sleeper target in fantasy leagues.