LyondellBasell

Brett Anderson 2013 Outlook

got to drop him

probably a really bad move.

God I hope so....I'm forced to not only keep him, but pray he's not injured so I can start him next week due to all my SP injuries. Between him and Zito earlier this week...oui vey!

got to drop him

My DL is already full and I think he's way overrated but I'm still not dropping him.

Ya, he should not be dropped. Unless its like a shallow 8 team league.

Edited by Cmilne23

I'm hoping he gets DL'ed. I think when he was injured 2 starts ago it effected him more than we thought. Maybe 15 days will clear it up. I'll even take a 30 day DL trip if he comes back and pitches like we know he can.

I'm hoping he gets DL'ed. I think when he was injured 2 starts ago it effected him more than we thought. Maybe 15 days will clear it up. I'll even take a 30 day DL trip if he comes back and pitches like we know he can.

Well Oakland has no reason to rush Anderson. They have Straily dominating in AAA. Besides Straily is the better talent of the two.

Well Oakland has no reason to rush Anderson. They have Straily dominating in AAA. Besides Straily is the better talent of the two.

No he isn't.

No he isn't.

Didn't you read the Cingrani thread? FoulLine has a super-secret scouting formula he uses (aka minor league stats). Cingrani > MHarvey & Straily > BAnderson.

No he isn't.

Anderson has promise sure, but he can't stay healthy and even when he is healthy Anderson has never been the dominate pitcher that people hoped for when he rushed through the minor leagues with ease. Straily is on a whole different level.

Straily to me shows the potential to possibly win a Cy Young in his career. Anderson if healthy a full season I couldn't see him cracking even the top 8 AL pitchers.

Straily is better. It may not be apparent right now, but trust me I am certain of it.

Didn't you read the Cingrani thread? FoulLine has a super-secret scouting formula he uses (aka minor league stats). Cingrani > MHarvey & Straily > BAnderson.

Haha hear we go again. Personal attacks. I never said Cingrani was better than Harvey, but way to mis quote me for the reason as to make your argument? I really don't understand it. But as of right now neither of you have contributed anything to the conversation.

Why is Anderson better than Straily? Let's start there. The "no he isn't" just isn't going to cut it.

No he isn't.

Anderson has promise sure, but he can't stay healthy and even when he is healthy Anderson has never been the dominate pitcher that people hoped for when he rushed through the minor leagues with ease. Straily is on a whole different level.

Straily to me shows the potential to possibly win a Cy Young in his career. Anderson if healthy a full season I couldn't see him cracking even the top 8 AL pitchers.

Straily is better. It may not be apparent right now, but trust me I am certain of it.

Dan Straily gave up as many HR's last season in 39 IP, than Brett Anderson has given up in his last 139 IP. Straily gave up 11 jacks in 39 IP. That is pathetic. Thus far he has shown no ability to keep the ball in the park. He does not have knockout stuff despite what his minor league numbers tell you. He throws a 91 MPH fastball that catches a lot of the plate and big league hitters have already shown the ability to destroy it. His slider is good, his change up was not really impressive to me last season. I need to see more from him at the big league level before I annoint him. You are crowning him far too early in my opinion. I would ease up on the expectations there.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

Haha hear we go again. Personal attacks. I never said Cingrani was better than Harvey, but way to mis quote me for the reason as to make your argument? I really don't understand it. But as of right now neither of you have contributed anything to the conversation.

Why is Anderson better than Straily? Let's start there. The "no he isn't" just isn't going to cut it.

Why do you believe Straily is better than Anderson? Anderson has a career 3.68 era in the majors across 73 starts and is only 25. Straily has a 3.72 era across 8 starts most of which were against bad offenses and is 24. It's something totally different if he were 20 or 21.

I can't say i agree with you on this.

Great post, Cmilne23. Can't add anything more.

Just want to say FouLLine I was just having fun. Nothing personal. I do think you weigh minor league stats WAY too much without considering league, competition, ballparks, etc.

My main issue with Straily is I do not see any pitch that he has that can get lefties out. Lefties destroyed him last season. 7 HR's in 59 at bats, 1.047 OPS against. His change up was in the F to D- range in what I saw last season. It was just a terrible, terrible pitch. Unless he really refines that pitch and shows he can throw it at the MLB level and generate swings and misses then I don't see him being much more than a 4-5 starter. His fastball is too hittable to be his only tool to throw to left handed batters.

Edited by Cmilne23

Saying someone is better than Brett Anderson is far from crowning them.

Brett Anderson is not a dominate pitcher the only thing he has ever dominated in the bigs is the DL. I'm not saying he's not a good pitcher. I traded Brett Anderson for Drew Smyly straight up in a keeper league before the season started people were gasping. Part of it was contractual but honestly I felt it was last call on Brett Anderson's value for awhile here.

Anyway on Straily.

You are confusing ER with HR. He did not give up any HRs this season.

Also 11 HRs in 39 innings? That indicates bad luck far more than lack of skill. Seriously that is how good Straily is he can give up 11 HRs in 39 innings and still maintain a 3.89 ERA!!! That is the real under laying story.

How is Daniel Straily so good that as a rookie he can give up a HR every 3 innings and still maintain a sub 4 ERA???

Why do you believe Straily is better than Anderson? Anderson has a career 3.68 era in the majors across 73 starts and is only 25. Straily has a 3.72 era across 8 starts most of which were against bad offenses and is 24. It's something totally different if he were 20 or 21.

I can't say i agree with you on this.

Where do you pull your data from?

Most of Straily's bad starts are against bad offenses?

Last year his 7 starts were:

1. TOR: 13th in runs, 17th in OPS

2. LAA: 4th in runs, 4th in OPS

3. @KC: 20th in runs, 15th in OPS

4. @LAA

5. BAL: 15th in runs, 12th in OPS

6. @TEX: 1st in runs, 2nd in OPS

7. SEA: 27th in runs, last in OPS

So two of his starts in the majors have so far been against bad offenses SEA last year and HOU this year.

Otherwise he has faced some damn good competition. Even when he caught Seattle the worst team he faced last year they were hotter than ever at the time, yes still a sub par offense but their September OPS was 31 points higher than their season OPS. Which isn't surprising seeing how young they are.

Edited by FouLLine

Brett Anderson is not a dominate pitcher the only thing he has ever dominated in the bigs is the DL. I'm not saying he's not a good pitcher. I traded Brett Anderson for Drew Smyly straight up in a keeper league before the season started people were gasping. Part of it was contractual but honestly I felt it was last call on Brett Anderson's value for awhile here.

Anyway on Straily.

Also 11 HRs in 39 innings? That indicates bad luck far more than lack of skill. Seriously that is how good Straily is he can give up 11 HRs in 39 innings and still maintain a 3.89 ERA!!! That is the real under laying story.

How is Daniel Straily so good that as a rookie he can give up a HR every 3 innings and still maintain a sub 4 ERA???

Not good at all considering the HR's he gave were to:

Kyle Seager

Michael Saunders

Matt Wieters x 2

Vernon Wells

Torii Hunter x 2

Kendrys Morales x 2

Chris Iannetta

Josh Hamilton

The AL West lefties just destroyed him. I am not convinced he has anything in his arsenal that can get left handed batters out other than just rockets flying right at fielders gloves. You will need to convince me he can get left handed batters out successfully by generating swings and misses before I would agree with your point. I see nothing in him that tells me he is a future Cy Young award contender. The thought of that, with the type of stuff he has is an irrational thought at this point in time.

13 bb to 11 k's to left handed batters last season. Lefties are going to be the hurdle he has to overcome.

Edited by Cmilne23

Anyway on Straily.

Not good at all considering the HR's he gave were to:

Kyle Seager

Michael Saunders

Matt Wieters x 2

Vernon Wells

Torii Hunter x 2

Kendrys Morales x 2

Chris Iannetta

Josh Hamilton

The AL West lefties just destroyed him. I am not convinced he has anything in his arsenal that can get left handed batters out other than just rockets flying right at fielders gloves. You will need to convince me he can get left handed batters out successfully by generating swings and misses before I would agree with your point. I see nothing in him that tells me he is a future Cy Young award contender. The thought of that, with the type of stuff he has is an irrational thought at this point in time.

13 bb to 11 k's to left handed batters last season. Lefties are going to be the hurdle he has to overcome.

For one rookie / sophomore (more for hitters tho) stats are far more forgivable than 3rd year and beyond stats.

Secondly you don't have much of a point here. How is that surprising when he only pitched 11 innings outside of his division last year.

Realistically Straily had bad luck. He got thrown out onto the mound against good teams when the ball was carrying a few too many times in a small sample.

If you think a 39 inning sample of first year in the bigs is a better indicator than 0.62 HR/9 over 533 minor league career innings then you need to consider reevaluating how you comprehend statistical data.

Guys this is what PM's are for. How does any of what this has devolved into belong in the Brett Anderson thread?

• Like 1

This thread is about Anderson. It's OK to compare his stats to another pitcher, but if the conversation gets sidetracked and becomes solely about another player then it belongs in that player's thread. Also, ANY discussion needs to remain civil and respectful.

No he isn't.

Well, you can't just throw out "Straily is better" with nothing to back it up except "I'm certain of it" and get on people for responding "no he isn't". Normally I would also agree that "no he isn't" is not a response, but I think it pretty succinctly captures th argument - no, Straily is not better. I think by any objective metric Anderson would rate out better. He has elite gb rates, an elite slider, elite control, and an off the charts pitching IQ. Anderson has been a borderline #1 starter as long as he has been healthy enough to perform. I think people get caught up in his less than spectacular k rate, but when you get ground balls the way he does, limits walks the way he does, and suppresses home runs the way he does, which is far above average, you can trade off the k rate.

Straily was an average arm with some projection who had some fairly ok years in the minors before blowing up last season at AAA. He didnt grade out as having anyhing spectacular in his arsenal, not a high velocity guy, no real plus breaking pitch, but similar to anderson had good control and pitching IQ. He was, however, hittable with relatively high LD rates and Babip's, and this is due to fact he is a fly ball pitcher (roughly 30% to Anderson's historical high 50's/low 60's). But a lot of that changed last season at AAA. How? Well, here's the punchline to this - at the request of the A's changed his motion to maximize his velocity, and add additional movement on his breaking pitches. Why is that funny? The A's basically got Straily to begin using the dreaded "inverted W" arm motion that is a notorious arm killer. The A's are maximizing Straily's potential now, at the expense of the longevity of his career. So any argument about who is better can't take the injury aspect into account because mark my words - Straily will also need TJ at some point in the future.

But really from top to bottom Anderson is/was better. He was the higher ranked prospect, he has better stuff, has progressed faster, and when he has played he has been very very good (just check his second half of 2009 to right before he got hurt and then to when he came back from TJ. It's a lot of sub 3 era's and sub 1.20 whips). I highly doubt Straily ever gets considered for a CY young, I doubt his k rates from the minors fully translate to mlb, and I think his FB rates will play at home in Oakland somewhat, but not on the road. I think he can be a good pitcher, but comparing the two is not really something you can do. I understand the frustration of owning Anderson due to injury, but there's no question in my mind Anderson is the much much better pitcher.

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/...720457800216576

He has a good chance not to miss any time.

Good news for him. Bad news for me. I needed him on my DL to free up a space to pick up someone else. Why do these ball players not get it is all about me me me playing in fantasyland!

I came here to say the same thing. The fact he's not going DL actually makes him less valuable, as there is about a .001473% chance I start him v BOS. He's definitely on my short list if I need a roster spot.