Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jmadtown

Brandon Morrow 2013 Outlook

259 posts in this topic

Brandon Morrow was a late round pick last year in my draft. 14th.

With his late injury last year, do you think he'll go for the same value this year? Or is the cat out of the bag that this guy can pitch, when healthy...?

I don't know what you are smoking but he sure as hell ain't no late round gem. Every expert loves Brandon Morrow every year and he had a damn good year last year. He is a K machine on top of that. And oh yeah he will probably get the opening day start for the world series favored team. People are going to be lucky to draft him this year.

Well I got him at that position in a 10 teamer. Must have been dumb luck, on no one drafting him earlier. He's fun to watch and does have a high K rate... Hopefully he stays injury free this year.

I'm not to sure how I feel about him this year yet. I think this is the one year he will actually be drafted before he should be, and I don't like him at that value. If he fell to the 14th round then he is great there, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go six rounds higher as drafts get closer

1 person likes this

He has top 20 fantasy stuff, Ive got him ranked No.17 on my SP list of how I personally would take them. He had a great year last year and lost about 10-11 starts to the injury.

I have always been a Morrow fan but have no idea what to think about him this season. What do you all think?

I'll take him as a #3 in a 12-team redraft. If a #3 SP is a need of mine and he's still there in the 11th-12th rd he's worth it. His K's make him a SP3 at worst assuming health.

I'll take him as a #3 in a 12-team redraft. If a #3 SP is a need of mine and he's still there in the 11th-12th rd he's worth it. His K's make him a SP3 at worst assuming health.

Yeah this sounds about right. He's the kind of upside arm who fits in well in this spot (i.e. a high end #3). That said, he seems to get drafted in that low end #2 SP spot every year, and I refuse to reach for him. Unfortunately, like the guy above said, the Toronto hype machine will likely cause his value to inflate on draft day once again. I just don't see how I could take the guy over a Gallardo or even Cueto type of reliable #2 arm.

It's funny, Morrow sacrificed the K rate for his ratios last year and the results were fantastic...Of course, per his career so far, he still had trouble staying on the mound...If he can manage to stay healthy and maintain last season's ratios with a slight uptick in the K rate we will be looking at a dominant pitcher this year...With Morrow that is a big if...I think he can stay on the field for 30 starts...

Certainly not a late rd gem so far ......have seen him going between $15-18 at mixed auctions. More like #2 SP price than #3....still like his upside though.

Looking like 2011 Morrow. Not pitching as much to contact and get K and walks...

I agree. I do like how he's gotten himself out of the trouble he got himself into.

I think it will be a minor miracle if he qualifies for a QS with 72 pitches through 4. I'll take this though if he continues to limit the damage.

Have a good feeling about Morrow this year! I'd take him as SP #2 in most of my leagues 14/16 teams. Wins, K's, Decent Era, QS should all be there this year heavily

Big test today pitching at DET...hope he can keep it rolling but at least we have some day baseball!

Well, I didn't own Morrow last year when he was good in a truncated season, so this may cloud my view of him. I only owned him a couple times when he was the erratic but talented "could break out" guy who wound up with a mid-4s ERA. Starting to feel like more of the same, and the same sinking feeling I always got with Max Scherzer that I made a big, big mistake.

I actually thought at the end there if he didn't get Hunter to end the inning with one on, two outs and a 2-1 lead and Cabrera on deck, it's a 5-1 game, mark it down. Pretty easy call, I guess.

1 person likes this

Zero Ks? 9 H and 2 BB in 3.2 IP? Ouch. That's like the low-K Morrow from last year mixed with the erratic, high-ERA Morrow from years past.

4 people like this

He didn't have any of his breaking stuff working today and he was leaving a lot of pitches up. In fact, I can't recall him getting a single swinging strike. I'll update after Brooks Baseball posts the Pitch FX data to see if I'm right. As a Morrow owner this year, I hope his lack of stuff today is just a dead arm period and not another injury. He looked every bit as bad as his final line today.

I've owned Morrow for the last three years, this included, hoping for a big breakout. But I'm SO frustrated with this guy... he'll show flashes of pure BRILLIANCE... 6 IP 10K+ then come back out with a performance like this. This is NOT unusual for Morrow... he's flat out too inconsistent. The ultimate tease.