Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halo Fan

"Can't miss" prospects that missed

Andy Marte- I thought this kid was going to rake. So much for that.

Brandon Wood- I hate him for two reasons. One, I bought him on him big time after his season in A ball, where he had like 100 EBH. He really looked like one of those HOF caliber prospects, but just can't hit in the majors. This was ofcourse before I learned about park factors, league factors, and such. Two, because I learned about all those things thanks to Wood, I discounted Trout's performance in the minors to be below what it really was. So thanks for screwing me twice!

Jeremy Heredia- Another guy that was supposed to tear it up, because he had a smotth swing. He was Josh Vitters before there was Josh Vitters.

Ian Stewart- I saw comparisons to David Wright, and playing in Coors, I was hooked. Similar to Wood I guess, just can't hit in the majors.

Andrew Miller- When you are the primary piece that led to the trade of a HOF caliber player, and you turn into a LOOGY, you failed. I'm not even sure what happened with him. His stuff was truly the best when he was making his debut (the same year he got drafted I believe) than it ever was again. Did they change his delivery?

Fernando Martinez- A young stud in the making. I was a bit skeptical on him, because I didn't like the fact that they were promoting him without him dominating one level at a time. Also, can't seem to stay healthy.

Bubba Crosby- I remember Gammons actually picked the kid to win the MVP or something one year (I think his basis was that Giambi and Tejada were legit candidates, so Crosby had to be next. No one's accused him of being the brightest...) and he flamed out pretty badly.

Drew Henson- Like holding back Tom Brady at Michgian wasn't enough, he decided to flop at 3B as well, after being touted as the next great 3B. They didn't even go for like, "yeah, he should be a good 3B, All Star", nope, it started off with "Best 3B prospect since Schmidt".

Then back to football where he flopped trying to be the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

Chris Gruler 3rd overall in 2004 by Reds and blew it (arm issues)

Gary Harris

JD Drew (the hype was unreal)

Matt Bush

Josh Booty " Trouble with the curve"

Was Matt Bush really ever considered a "can't miss" prospect? I know he was the first overall pick, but he only got drafted because the Padres knew they were going to have trouble signing the other players they wanted to draft and he was a local boy.

Yeah, the Pads werent alone in that, they liked Weaver and Stephen Drew, but both were Boras guys and with lots of guys in the MLB draft, signability is an issue, no sense making a pick you are not willing to pay the amount they want, and Boras guys had demonstrated they will wait it out and go back in next year. If I remember, neither of those guys went in the top 10 because of those issues.

But the Pads have had a pathetic run of drafting I dont think they have had a 1st round pick be an all star in 20+ years and none for them in almost 25, has to be longest drought in the game.

Around here, back in the day, we had Jeff Stone, the Phillies' answer to Darryl Strawberry. He and Von Hayes were going to be All Star anchors to the outfield from '85 into the 90's.

Alas, he could steal bases, but not steal his way on them.

Six players have placed in the top-10 in BA's top 100 prospects list for three years in a row. Studs are Chipper and Mauer. OK players are Maybin and Delmon. A Todd Van Poppel was an epic fail.

The sixth player is Ruben Rivera from 1995-1997. How is it possible that nobody has mentioned Rivera yet?????

Ruben Rivera had mostly washed out of baseball by 2002, but the Yankees gave him one more chance. They signed him to a guaranteed $1 MM contract. He could have played out the season (badly), invested his money (wisely) and lived off the earnings. No, instead he stole Derek Jeter's glove and sold it to a sports memorabilia shop. The Yankees quickly voided his contract.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/03/12/yankees_rivera_ap/

A couple of years later I saw Rivera playing in a AA game in Bowie, MD. I wanted to heckle him about the glove, but I was afraid he might jump into the stands and beat me up.

Josh Booty " Trouble with the curve"

A numbers of years ago Booty started the season in the majors when the Marlins' 3B was injured in April. Someone in my league nominated him for a buck. I had to jump up and yell "He made the Booty call!"

Not surprisingly, nobody bid $2.

Pedro Alvarez.

The only time he ever lives up to his hype is when he is playing my Cardinals.

No. Pedro Alvarez doesn't belong in this thread.

A #2 overall draft pick that hits 30 bombs at age 25, 3 years after getting drafted, is not a miss. Especially since Alvarez could improve and put up some quality seasons in the next few years.

Six players have placed in the top-10 in BA's top 100 prospects list for three years in a row. Studs are Chipper and Mauer. OK players are Maybin and Delmon. A Todd Van Poppel was an epic fail.

The sixth player is Ruben Rivera from 1995-1997. How is it possible that nobody has mentioned Rivera yet?????

Ruben Rivera had mostly washed out of baseball by 2002, but the Yankees gave him one more chance. They signed him to a guaranteed $1 MM contract. He could have played out the season (badly), invested his money (wisely) and lived off the earnings. No, instead he stole Derek Jeter's glove and sold it to a sports memorabilia shop. The Yankees quickly voided his contract.

http://sportsillustr...kees_rivera_ap/

A couple of years later I saw Rivera playing in a AA game in Bowie, MD. I wanted to heckle him about the glove, but I was afraid he might jump into the stands and beat me up.

Th very definition of Quad-A; but not because of talent, but because of mental makeup. Dude has a .300 minor league average with 300 dingers, and finally figured the strike zone out in his late 20s, early 30s. I believe he would have been a great MLB player if he had any kind of brains. Sad. What could have been...

John Bowker. Always seemed like a sleeper that was going to break out, but never did. He was always solid in the minors, but it never transfered over to the majors. I haven't heard from him in a few years though. I can't assure it, but I think he moved over to Japan.

I remember Khalil Greene was supposed to be a pretty big deal at SS for the Padres. He had a decent rookie year but never really panned out.

Ding ding. He was the first guy I thought of. I'd have Brian Taylor on the list but he got hurt. RR just sucked.

Travis Snider was going to be the next Joe Carter in Toronto...

He can't be completely written off, yet, but if he doesn't do something this year, he may not get another chance.

2003 he was with the giants and offered up this gem:

Ding ding. He was the first guy I thought of. I'd have Brian Taylor on the list but he got hurt. RR just sucked.

Craig Hansen- Was supposed to be what Kimbrel is right now.

Sean Rodriguez- Always put up nasty numbers in the minors, always ended up being worthless in the majors except for a brief time with the Rays.

Oliver Perez- not sure if he busted as a prospect or not. But his breakout season with the Pirates was just flat out nasty.

Casey Kotchman- I can list like half of the Angels prospects in the early parts of last decade. A guy that was supposed to be a pure hitter, and develop power down the road.

Ryan Anderson- The little unit, that was going to be the next Randy Johnson. Not so much.

Craig Hansen- Was supposed to be what Kimbrel is right now.

Sean Rodriguez- Always put up nasty numbers in the minors, always ended up being worthless in the majors except for a brief time with the Rays.

Oliver Perez- not sure if he busted as a prospect or not. But his breakout season with the Pirates was just flat out nasty.

Casey Kotchman- I can list like half of the Angels prospects in the early parts of last decade. A guy that was supposed to be a pure hitter, and develop power down the road.

Ryan Anderson- The little unit, that was going to be the next Randy Johnson. Not so much.

They abused his arm and he was just never the same again. Great talent though, a lot like Chris Sale last year.

What about for all the kids who collected baseball cards in the glory days of collecting: Kevin Maas.

I don't think he was ever a huge prospect, but after a fast start to his rookie season, they hype train on him was out of control. At least it seemed that way to me as a little kid.

I always think of this player when people start the hype for Trout and how he will be the greatest. Joe Charbeneau burst onto the Indians as a rookie like crazy. Whether it was injuries or he was just in over his head he never put another season together. After 2 more years he was out of MLB (at least the Majors part).

-Adam Miller of the Indians. He was considered the next great pitching star.

-Bobby Crosby of the A's.

IIRC, circa 2006 or so, Peter Gammons picked Crosby as his preseason pick for AL MVP lol

Another big one was Herbert Perry from the Indians in the mid-90s. They had so many great guys come up through the system, and Perry was supposed to be another 1b who could rake when Sorrento departed after 1995. He never panned out.

Kyle Blanks fell on his face at the major league level.

And in doing so, caused a magnitude 4.6 earthquake.

I actually think Kyle "don't call me Billy" Blanks still has a chance. His career OPS+ is 105, even with a .219 AVG over 488 AB. For now he profiles to a poor man's Carlos Pena. And he's young enough that I could see him hitting .250 / .330 / .470 in a neutral park without too much difficulty.

He either needs Alonso to fail or a trade to a team that needs a 1B (the Brewers? Marlins?).

-Adam Miller of the Indians. He was considered the next great pitching star.

-Bobby Crosby of the A's.

IIRC, circa 2006 or so, Peter Gammons picked Crosby as his preseason pick for AL MVP lol

Another big one was Herbert Perry from the Indians in the mid-90s. They had so many great guys come up through the system, and Perry was supposed to be another 1b who could rake when Sorrento departed after 1995. He never panned out.

Hey, isn't Crosby trying to make a comeback with the Brewers this year? Maybe there's still hope! LOL

Got a good one...Chad Orvella

I remember looking at some historical fantasy baseball drafts of mine and thinking "who is this guy?"

He was drafted fairly high that year...