Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halo Fan

"Can't miss" prospects that missed

Insert any Mariners hitting prospect over the past 15 years.

Jurickson Profar... yes, I am a couple months early/

What makes you think he will be a bust? Just curious. I don't see anything that sticks out in his numbers. He hits solid average, power and can steal. Not to mention he's great defensively as seen the other night.

eh, a 276 average in the minors is nothing special. That's not saying he's not gonna improve, because I'm sure he is, but right now I think a lot of us can agree, his stats aren't really impressive. Certainly not as impressive as some other #1 prospects.

I agree that the average isn't amazing, but .280ish isn't bad. I might be a little too high on him, but he strikes me as a guy who will be doing 20/20 or better in the future. By 23 I think he'll be something really special. That's just my opinion on it though. I agree that some #1 prospects have been better, but I wouldn't say he's destined to become a bust either. It's certainly impressive to be ranked at #1 at just 20 years old. There is room for growth at such a young age.

I'm just not buying in on the "can't miss" label... not kocking anything specific, but Profar can miss.

Jurickson Profar... yes, I am a couple months early/

What makes you think he will be a bust? Just curious. I don't see anything that sticks out in his numbers. He hits solid average, power and can steal. Not to mention he's great defensively as seen the other night.

eh, a 276 average in the minors is nothing special. That's not saying he's not gonna improve, because I'm sure he is, but right now I think a lot of us can agree, his stats aren't really impressive. Certainly not as impressive as some other #1 prospects.

I agree that the average isn't amazing, but .280ish isn't bad. I might be a little too high on him, but he strikes me as a guy who will be doing 20/20 or better in the future. By 23 I think he'll be something really special. That's just my opinion on it though. I agree that some #1 prospects have been better, but I wouldn't say he's destined to become a bust either. It's certainly impressive to be ranked at #1 at just 20 years old. There is room for growth at such a young age.

I'm just not buying in on the "can't miss" label... not kocking anything specific, but Profar can miss.

Well I certainly don't consider him a "can't miss" prospect. I'd say there are no minor leaguers that will be a 100% guaranteed success in the majors. It's just a different level of play and some players cannot adapt to that. That being said, I have full confidence that Profar can. I just think it's way too early to label him as either a success or failure. Although he has not been incredibly successful in the majors to this point he is still very young and I believe he has a lot of time tot improve. We'll just have to see how it works out though.

For an old Royals fan...

Clint Hurdle

The hype around him in the late 80's was unreal...Sports Illustrated cover and all

Yeah

Here's a few players that it might be a little too early to call it on but I think will belong on this list before long:

Jesus Montero

Justin Smoak

Ike Davis

Logan Morrison

Dee Gordon

Phil Hughes

Daniel Bard

Andy Marte, Matt LaPorta, Delmon Young, Brandon Wood, Matt Bush, Tim Beckham