Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Homerj24

Jason Grilli 2013 Outlook

208 posts in this topic

With Hanrahan going to Boston Grilli seems like the early favorite for saves in Pittsburgh. Jason stuck out 90 batters in just 58.2 IP last season. He has never held the closer's role before and has no history of being able to maintain a K rate like this. At 36 years of age i am not sure what to expect.

When you see his name, you have a blast for past type of guy. I remember having him as a minor leaguer in the late 90's when he was 1st round pick of the Giants.

Great numbers last year, check out the K/IP. Wouldn't be taking him among the elite, but could be a nice grab later in a draft.

Great numbers last year, check out the K/IP. Wouldn't be taking him among the elite, but could be a nice grab later in a draft.

Kind of like Hanrahan two years ago. I remember one of the things that attracted me to JH was I think he had like 99K in 70 innings or something like that as a setup guy in 2010 before going into Pirates closer.

Yeah, he's definitely on my late gamble list. I wound up going for both Henry Rodriguez and Tyler Clippard (Henry for a buck, Tyler for 2$) when everyone thought Storen was a lock to cakewalk back into the role.

Guys like Grilli will be cheaper than others, because they're unproven and older. But they seem to always provide at *least* one year of very solid production at an undervalue cost. Reminds me of George Sherill or someone like that getting their first chance as a CL in their 30s after putting up a couple of years of very good ratios. Had one very fine season as a CL, and kind of bombed out after that. It happens from time to time but if you pounce at the right time, you can get these guys for good deals or late in drafts.

i had him in a holds league. just was gonna be a few days addition to stream early in the season ... i kept wanting to cut him to make room for other wire guys, but he just kept dominating. at 36 years old he put up a 13.8 k/9 (vs a 7.8 career mark). 4.09 k/bb (a 1.96 career mark). can he do it two years in a row? i'm skeptical.

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news and its just second hand info but heard from someone he failed a drug test. I own him in every league, so it's probably true. Certainly hope my guy is wrong.

Posted · Hidden by Patrick Bateman, May 14, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news and its just second hand info but heard from someone he failed a drug test. I own him in every league, so it's probably true. Certainly hope my guy is wrong.

You're a troll.

1 person likes this

"Pittsburgh Pirates RP Jason Grilli is reportedly dealing with a family issue, and he's not expected to be available to pitch Monday, May 13.

Fantasy Tip: It's unclear how long Grilli will be out, or if the team will place him on the bereavement list. If you're desperate for saves, don't wait around to find out. Add Mark Melancon now.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=852894-pirates-jason-grilli-dealing-with-personal-issue#ixzz2TElPirHb"

You're a troll.

Jesse Hart@hart_jesse 1h

Rumors about Jason Grilli failing a drug test... This is not good..

Followed by Jason Grilli

Someone on twitter from PA heard the same thing. Weird.

wtf?! that wouldn't explain him getting in street clothes and leaving the stadium.

Pirates closer Jason Grilli left the ballpark for a few hours Monday afternoon due to a personal issue but the NL leader in saves returned by the middle of the game.

You're a troll.

Jesse Hart@hart_jesse 1h

Followed by Jason Grilli

Doesn't seem like a credible source.

are there any reliabel sources for these drug rumors... aside from just random twitter postings?

You're a troll.

Jesse Hart@hart_jesse 1h

Followed by Jason Grilli

Doesn't seem like a credible source.

He wasn't who I spoke to.

I wouldn't take any of the drug rumors seriously until a credible source comes out and says something.

Dont want to get anyone in trouble, people could lose their job over this kind of thing. Lets just see how it plays out and hope he's back tomorrow.

Dont want to get anyone in trouble, people could lose their job over this kind of thing. Lets just see how it plays out and hope he's back tomorrow.

Reading between the lines: PICK UP MELANCON NOW, I'VE SAID TOO MUCH ALREADY!

no legitimate sources have said anything mentioning grilli and drugs. if you have to drop someone of any importance at all, I wouldn't make that kind of speculative move just yet.

no legitimate sources have said anything mentioning grilli and drugs. if you have to drop someone of any importance at all, I wouldn't make that kind of speculative move just yet.

100% agree but that being said, if you've got someone who's borderline, make the move. Melancon has been cruising so far this season.

Not grabbing Melancon yet. Especially considering that the "source" is Mark Madden. And one of the Pirate beats shot it down and confirmed it's a family reason:

Kristy Robinson@Kristy_Robinson7h

@cruz0210 personal/family reasons. Where did the PED rumor come from?

Good grief. Twitter you're awesome most of the time, but not so much when it comes to stirring up rumors.

Grilli is one of the best guys in the #Pirates CH & I've worked with. Pray for him bc he had to leave for personal reasons, not start rumors