Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Madison Bumgarner 2013 Outlook

370 posts in this topic

Back to back seasons with a sub 3.40 ERA, sub 1.22 WHIP and 191 Ks.

Considering he's only going to be 23 this year and he's on a team who will win a lot of games the ceiling is looking very high for Madison. He could be ready to make the jump into the elite pitchers teir.

1 person likes this

I'm a little bit concerned about the way he finished his season. He's had several points throughout his career when he has seemingly forgotten how to pitch

He's a fun pitcher, I assume MEANT, because he seems to go through a patch every year where he gets blasted out of every park. But I think he's no less risky than any other ace out there who all go through some level of a bad patch.

I think that the rough patches could just be growing pains, he is only 23. The fact that the Giants had him in their rotation in their first WS when he was 21 I think speaks volumes to his talent and what the organization thinks of him.

Any issues with velocity down the stretch last year? Any red flags for arm problems?

I thought I remembered the velocity going down during his rough patch. Hope he's ok, love this guy.

I like him, I think he could be primed for full season breakthrough ERA around 3 with 220+ K's.

I'm fine with waiting until the 6th round and taking him as my ace.

1 person likes this

I'd certainly take him in the sixth. Had him last year and he was incredible. Problem is he's going in the fourth in most 12 team mock drafts in yahoo.

No Cy Young projections this year yet? Lot of everyone was making MadBum their bold prediction.

Its still early, it will come. I dont think he wins it, but I think he will finish top three. I think it will be tough to beat out Strasburg if he pitches a full year.

I'd certainly take him in the sixth. Had him last year and he was incredible. Problem is he's going in the fourth in most 12 team mock drafts in yahoo.

That's surprising. The ADP info I'm looking at has him going 61 overall, which is early 6th in a 12-teamer.

I definitely like Bumgarner and think he has the stuff to be a Cy Young contendor. There is also some reason for concern about him, or at least moreso than your normal 22-year old coming off back-to-back SP1/SP2 type years.

First is how much he relies on his slider. He already threw it 32.4% of the time before last year. But last year it jumped to 39%, the highest percentage of any pitcher that throws a slider in the MLB. Now, he has a fantastic slider, so this can be a good thing, but there is also reason to believe that high slider reliance can lead to injury. That, coupled with his arm slot, make him a possible candidate for a DL stint at some point in his career.

The other thing that is slightly worrisome is how gassed he got at the end of last year. Over his last 7 starts he lost 5mph off his fastball, going from 91 to 86. Whether it was simply a young pitcher experiencing fatigue or an underlying injury is the big question, but that is a huge dropoff and is definitely concerning.

Not saying Bumgarner will be a bust this year or is certain to have injury problems this year, but it is something to watch for. Track his velocity in spring training games and then make a judgment on how he will fare. I would still draft him as a top 20 SP, but I might do it with some hesitation and definitely wouldn't reach for him

I see people reaching for him in Late Round 4th or Early Round 5th on Yahoo Mock.

That's surprising. The ADP info I'm looking at has him going 61 overall, which is early 6th in a 12-teamer.

61 = Early 5th.. 61/12 teams = 5.1

Will go anywhere from early 4th to early 5th. Id even consider him end of 3rd if I take two big bats to start. Love owning him every year and always out performs his ADP

61 = Early 5th.. 61/12 teams = 5.1

Will go anywhere from early 4th to early 5th. Id even consider him end of 3rd if I take two big bats to start. Love owning him every year and always out performs his ADP

Fail.

1-12 = 1st round

13-24 = 2nd round

25-36 = 3rd round

37-48 = 4th round

49-60 = 5th round

61-72 = 6th round

Definitely considering him at the round 5-6 turn.

For me I think I would take a look at him late 4 in a 12 teamer. He just isn't safe enough for me to grab him higher, and I also don't take pitching before the fourth.

I'm a bit concerned about the way he finished the season. I know he pitched well against DET in the WS but the month and a half leading up to that start, he was not very good at all. It's a small sample but still concerning to me.

I definitely like Bumgarner and think he has the stuff to be a Cy Young contendor. There is also some reason for concern about him, or at least moreso than your normal 22-year old coming off back-to-back SP1/SP2 type years.

First is how much he relies on his slider. He already threw it 32.4% of the time before last year. But last year it jumped to 39%, the highest percentage of any pitcher that throws a slider in the MLB. Now, he has a fantastic slider, so this can be a good thing, but there is also reason to believe that high slider reliance can lead to injury. That, coupled with his arm slot, make him a possible candidate for a DL stint at some point in his career.

The other thing that is slightly worrisome is how gassed he got at the end of last year. Over his last 7 starts he lost 5mph off his fastball, going from 91 to 86. Whether it was simply a young pitcher experiencing fatigue or an underlying injury is the big question, but that is a huge dropoff and is definitely concerning.

Not saying Bumgarner will be a bust this year or is certain to have injury problems this year, but it is something to watch for. Track his velocity in spring training games and then make a judgment on how he will fare. I would still draft him as a top 20 SP, but I might do it with some hesitation and definitely wouldn't reach for him

If anyone could find any info on his ST velocity it would be greatly appreciated

If anyone could find any info on his ST velocity it would be greatly appreciated

+1. He made his debut yesterday and went 2 innings. I'm very interested in what he was at

Pitchers altering their deliveries is a red flag for me. I really liked bum garner this year so I'm keeping a close eye on this