Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baltimore_boy

Welington Castillo 2013 Outlook

12 posts in this topic

Castillo has always flashed decent power potential in the minors. He looks to be slotted in as the starter behind the plate. What do you think? Just waiver wire fodder or can he be more?

With catcher as deep as it is, he's certainly not going to be an option in 1 catcher leagues early in the season. Probably going to be drafted as a low end catcher 2. Kind of in the same boat as someone like Tyler Flowers.

Probably somewhere in the 20's catcher rankings and like BPZ says will be a C2 for someone who using very late pick or $1 on that roster spot.

I actually took some time to put together a 30-player deep C ranking list (did the same for SS, but only did 25 players if I'm thinking right and rushed more).

It's in the 2013 Catcher Rankings thing on page 3 or so. In my rankings, I have him 26/30- he's a slotted in the last tier, ahead of the likes of Jason Castro, David Ross, Kurt Suzuki, and Derrick Norris (27, 28, 29, and 30, respectively), but behind Russell Martin, John Jaso, Wilson Ramos, Tyler Flowers, and Ianetta (20-25, respectively).

So I only have Flowers two notches higher, actually. But I still think he has a better chance of making a fantasy impact compared to Castillo. C is very deep and even in 14+ leagues it shouldn't be too hard to get someone pretty good, even if off of the waiver wire.

Also, as a Cubs fan who seemed to hear Wellington's name mentioned in the prospect talks even before Soto won ROTY, I have always wondered if he'll ever get to a point where he can be an everyday starter. I am a skeptic.

Castillo has always flashed decent power potential in the minors. He looks to be slotted in as the starter behind the plate. What do you think? Just waiver wire fodder or can he be more?

Maybe if he has a big spring I may take him as a late round catcher... Otherwise I'll just pick him up when he gets hot.

having lucroy....dealing with gattis and his maybe full time playing time what do you guys think of him.

Castillo is torching the ball to start the year. Hitting .400. Not bad for a guy probably not even owned in a bunch leagues.

He's really cooled off after his hot start. His average has slipped under .300 now.