Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the1gq2nvy

Avery Johnson Fired

You guys are ridiculous... what indications or relevant news articles point to Deron Williams getting Avery Johnson fired? What a ridiculous statement... Simply put Avery Johnson is not a very good coach, who failed to use his players' strengths and just relied on ISO plays. That's his style and it is very ineffective... you cannot win a championship with that type of play. Johnson got fired because he has failed to live up to the expectations the Nets set out for their team when they spent millions of dollars to make a championship contender. Their record has dropped to 14-14, and they have only won 3 of their last 13 games. They are sitting at 8th place, 0.5 games in the playoff picture. Clearly, if your team, that is supposed to be a top 3 team in the East, is now in 8th and losing easy games or getting blown out by teams that should never blow you out, a change needs to be made. Since Avery Johnson's style of coaching isn't working, and the player's are not in line with his style of coaching (not just D-Will), since he is not a good fit for this team, and since the Nets are not living up to their expectations, he should go and they should replace him. Good move by the Nets... better to make this change now then when they are out of the playoffs and cannot recover.

finally...some common sense

It's all about expectations. The Kings, Bucks and Wizards weren't expected to win in the first place so it's easy to spread the blame around rather than place it on the coach. The Nets and the Lakers, on the other hand, with the rosters they assembled, came into the season with lofty expectations.

At the same time, the Nets aren't crumbling at all. You take a look at the Celtics, who had a very promising offseason that led to big expectations, but are just one game above .500. I'd argue that Doc Rivers is utilizing his players as poorly as Avery Johnson did, but the C's are keeping the ship steady. The Nets are .500, despite the fact that their team chemistry is nearly non-existent right now.

Keep in mind that I don't necessarily disagree with the firing. It's just interesting that Avery was fired at a time when the Nets aren't exactly going down in flames. I guess they just really want to steal back the spotlight from the Knicks.

Milwaukee is 15-12, 7-3 there last 10 games, 1/2 game out of first in there division and currently holding down the 5th spot. Why would they fire there coach?

At the same time, they've lost to teams like the Cavaliers, Hornets, and the Bobcats, and their point differential is actually -0.9. If you actually watch their games, their entire team is an enigma. Even their best two players, Jennings and Ellis, can be complete non-factors at times. Rather than maximize his team's talents and get everyone on the same page, Skiles has done nearly the exact opposite. Outside of Sanders (who sort of had 30+ minutes handed to him), name me one Milwaukee player that has given them a consistent effort this season. They might pinball back and forth throughout the regular season, but if they somehow make it to the finish line as a playoff team, you can bet on them getting wiped out in the first round because Skiles has done everything within his power to keep his team a mess.

well, then u know how mike brown had no ones respect, right? the guy was a horrible choice to coach the lakers in the first place.

We've already had this discussion before. I think everything you say is invalid and vice versa. I share the feeling of the majority and you have a minority opinion, so we're naturally going to disagree. Just agree to disagree.

Once again when everything is said and done Utah made the right decision. At the time of course I was with the majority thinking Utah made a mistake but boy was I wrong. It's too bad they lost Sloan in the process though. Can you believe that Deron made a basketball lifer like Sloan want to quit his job completely out of the blue? Thinking back to it I am still in disbelief. This guy has 'team leader' written all over him.

Once again when everything is said and done Utah made the right decision. At the time of course I was with the majority thinking Utah made a mistake but boy was I wrong. It's too bad they lost Sloan in the process though. Can you believe that Deron made a basketball lifer like Sloan want to quit his job completely out of the blue? Thinking back to it I am still in disbelief. This guy has 'team leader' written all over him.

And the Jazz are riding comfortably with a very solid, young core (Burks, Hayward, Favors, Kanter) anchored by level-headed veterans (Williams, Jefferson), with appealing trade pieces to keep on improving (Millsap). They might just have one of the most underrated management teams in the league.

well, then u know how mike brown had no ones respect, right? the guy was a horrible choice to coach the lakers in the first place.

We've already had this discussion before. I think everything you say is invalid and vice versa. I share the feeling of the majority and you have a minority opinion, so we're naturally going to disagree. Just agree to disagree.

huh? so ur saying the majority of people thought mike brown was a good coach for the lakers? are u being serious right now?? LOL

huh? so ur saying the majority of people thought mike brown was a good coach for the lakers? are u being serious right now?? LOL

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The discussion is whether Johnson/Brown were fired prematurely, NOT whether or not they were a good fit for their team.

Avery liked to play his veterans and wasn't very good at developing younger players. I would expect some of the younger players to get a little more run.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The discussion is whether Johnson/Brown were fired prematurely, NOT whether or not they were a good fit for their team.

this doesn't really make sense to me. if they are a bad fit, wouldn't it warrant firing? how can it be premature

Any thoughts on how this might affect Brook Lopez? Is his situation more or less the same, better, or do you guys think he could be negatively impacted?

I am running, not walking, to pick up Deron Williams right now. Possibly in a trade for Monta Ellis plus Pekovic. I already own Brook Lopez, and I'm positive this move is going to immediately push Deron and Brook's value up.

Deron publicly criticized Avery Johnson's coaching strategy for a good reason. There was WAY too much isolation, and even last night's game, the Milwaukee announcers were making fun of the Net's play. There was ZERO set plays for Brook Lopez, who was the most offensively talented player on the court, and Joe Johnson repeatedly tried to...back down his defender...in isolation....from the baseline...while looking to pass to cutting teammates that were crowded on the other side of the court. It was the worst strategy I had ever seen. It cut off 50% of the court for spacing, and forced Brook/Blatche to stand in the paint with their arms up like jokers.

Deron, and Brook are going to be a killer pick and roll duo, with Blatche more than capable of leading the bench. I am a little worried for Joe Johnson because of the fact that Avery Johnson would tell Joe to shoot through his slumps, even if he had missed the previous 10. It was a nice confidence booster for the guy, but I'm not so sure EVERY coach would be willing to do that. Scott Skiles sure wouldn't.hahaha.

I don't know what to make of this firing. It seemed that though the Nets weren't going to be in the Championship hunt they were playing well considering that D-Will has been hinting of having every body part except his mouth ailing him. I really like the Nets roster and I can see why Johnson was fired but do they have an idea of who to bring in? If they don't I am a little puzzled at this move because we all seen what PJ Carlisimo could do at the NBA level before. I guess it will make things easier on D-Will though because PJ is never going to stand up to him Latrell Spreewell has already taken care of that for him. I could see this becoming a circus if a veteran coach isn't brought in to mold the talent into a real team. I doubt that Phil Jackson will take this job though I know he wants to get back into the NBA and stick it to the Lakers for the debacle that happened earlier.

I think PJ has also garnered a lot more respect in the NBA based on his time under Popp in San Antonio. He was straight out of the college game when Spreewell tried to strangle him.

Phil Jackson won't coach this team because it doesn't have enough star power.

what about someone like Nate MacMillan. I've always loved him as a coach. It's a shame Brandon Roy and Greg Oden's knees fell apart during his tenure in Portland.

Also, it would be fun if the Nets hired Mike Brown.

what about someone like Nate MacMillan. I've always loved him as a coach. It's a shame Brandon Roy and Greg Oden's knees fell apart during his tenure in Portland.

Also, it would be fun if the Nets hired Mike Brown.

Stan Van gundy is also an interesting option

SVG has already publicly stated he's not interested in the Nets job. "I have zero interest in that job" was his quote.

SVG has already publicly stated he has no interest in the Nets job.

ooo well then theres goes that idea. Also Phil Jackson would never take this job i guarantee you that.

-_- zzzzzzzz... Is it 5 oclock yet?

Can't wait for some nba action

You know... the funniest thing happened.. i had a dream last night that Avery Johnson got fired!

And it happened!

I'm not proclaiming i'm the Nostradamus of Basketball, but it was just a weird coincidence.

Anyway, I think the firing of Avery Johnson is a good move by the Nets. He just was not a good fit for the team.

I respect Avery Johnson, but I just don't think he's a good coach for certain personnel. He's too fiery, and causes too much friction with his players.

This team needs a more mellow coach.

For now, I think they'll respect PJ Carlisimo more because he's got a lot more experience and knowledge as a coach.

whats weird is you're dreaming about the NETS

you must have a rough life, i'll say a prayer for you....

yep someone should start up a game thread for those 2 games. Maybe ill get on that ina bit. I love those discussions

yep someone should start up a game thread for those 2 games. Maybe ill get on that ina bit. I love those discussions

hell yea. start it up. do a combined thread for the 2 games.

quite bored about this avery johnson.. phil jackson. stan van gundy talk.

C'mon mannnnnnnnn

Some interesting quotes from Avery's son on Twitter:

I'm sorry are best players couldn't make open shots. Yeah that's my dads fault totally...
The expectations were way to high for this team. We didn't even have a losing record.... Didn't even give my dad a full season.#OUTRAGE</b>

This is a f***ing Outrage. My dad is a great coach, he just got coach of the month and they Fire him. #Smh. Completely new team he had.

Some interesting points and have to agree with him on some, that being said... this was a move that needed to happen. From all accounts Avery can really wear on your players and you could see that he had lost D-Will and- deserved or not, they are only going as far as they take him. As a coach my only complaints are his rotations are an absolute joke, and yeah the iso-Joe offense probably isn't using their players to full potential.As for someone else asking about how other coaches in smaller markets not getting fired, as was alluded to its all about expectations and money. With the Nets ownership there is a LOT of money and a LOT of expectations so eating the salary and offering whoever they want a rediculous amount of money to right the ship isn't a problem.

Fixed

Phil's party : call us when you have 3 HALL OF FAMERS 3 all stars