PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

seemed like he was squeezed a little bit and you gotta give props to some of those Angel hitters. I still have faith in Straily, you cant let one start dictate everything. I really hope he gets another start this weekend or early next week.

With Anderson being healthy he's probably going to get sent down. Depending on how Parker looks tonight. If Parker gets blown up he may get one of those 15 day DL trips... Which would possibly get Straily another start.

Straily is on the cusp of being a staple in this rotation. Do not be fooled by one start. You have a great chance to buy low in keeper leagues and pick him up in redraft leagues do not miss out on the upside of this guy.

FoulLine,

Here's what Cmilne has essentially said in about 2 pages worth of posts to combat your 5 pages worth of posts in this thread(yes, I know - it's an exaggeration). He's provided plenty of information on why he feels the way he does.

He owns Straily and wants him to be good, but he thinks he'll be more of a 3-4 type starter in the future a lot like Scott Baker. He disagrees with how high you are on Straily. The reason he disagrees is he feels his FB isn't dominate in either velocity or life, and while Straily has shown a good slider - his change up has been non existent at the MLB level. While Straily should profile to have good command - given his stuff Cmilne doesn't think he'll be a future ace, which is what you believe. Cmilne also believe due to lack of a change up Straily will have a lot of difficulty Vs LHB. While is HR/FB% is high - in which Cmilne thinks will stay that way - and other metrics such as LOB%, xFIP, BABIP, and SIERA actually show he's been fortunate to have the numbers he's had thus through all his MLB starts.

You watch him, he watches him - two different opinions - let it be...

Edited by FearTheBeard
  • Like 4

so is he definitely getting sent back down to aaa? has that been announced yet?

Honestly I think that all depends on what Parker does tonight. If Parker gets blown up I have a feeling he hits the 15 day and Straily will get a start or two extra to prove himself.

Luckily for Parker he gets to pitch against a team that just played 19 innings last night.

This is going nowhere fast, so let me make a few points:

1. Zip up your pants. Frankly, it's tiresome. We're all baseball fanatics, or we wouldn't be here breaking down a largely obscure pitcher's peripheral statistics.

2. When making an argument, stick to the argument! There's no good reason to venture off into a territory ripe with superiority complexes; that's a breeding ground for propagation of petty back-and-forths.

3. There is absolutely no shame in making your point and then bowing out gracefully. Stating it over and over doesn't make it any more or less valid - let things play out instead of being on the offensive/defensive at all times.

With that said, it's pretty obvious that we're not covering any new ground on Straily, so let's take a breather. Here's what we've learned:

1. Straily has very good minor league numbers - especially over the last year, suggesting something clicked - which gives him more benefit of the doubt than [Pitcher A].

2. The HR/FB% is historically high, and so it's most probably unsustainable. With that said, I think it's fair to say Straily does give up his lion's share of home runs due to a less than stellar fastball. Every pitcher has his warts - that's Straily's.

3. Upon being recalled, he was thrown to the wolves, facing one of the best offenses (on paper) in MLB. It's not fair to assess him based off one start.

Let this play out. There's no need to make statements like "My piss is more passionate than yours." Again, we're all here to talk baseball, and I'm sure I speak for most people when I say Straily succeeding would make for a nice baseball story. With that said, it's clear that he has many things to work on in order to be ace-caliber. Hopefully he makes the right adjustments and all of his owners can reap the reward.

The posts in question have been hidden - further rhetoric bordering personal territory will be met with a more stringent response. Now please move on. Thank you.

• Like 4

so is he definitely getting sent back down to aaa? has that been announced yet?

Honestly I think that all depends on what Parker does tonight. If Parker gets blown up I have a feeling he hits the 15 day and Straily will get a start or two extra to prove himself.

Luckily for Parker he gets to pitch against a team that just played 19 innings last night.

They haven't sent him down yet, so I agree they are waiting to see what happens tonight with Parker. Kind of suprising how good the A's offense has been this year to make up for their struggles at pitching.

Just sent him down. It looks like he wll be down until an Injury

Well that was fast. Now lock this thread and burn it until he is up again.

I would assume his name is staying on speed-dial should BandAid-erson not be able to start.

• Like 1

I would assume his name is staying on speed-dial should BandAid-erson not be able to start.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Straily doesn't even make a start in the minors. Either way my money is on under 3 minor league starts for the rest of the season.

Anderson actually pitched in yesterday's game -- lasted even longer than Straily. By all accounts, it seems like Anderson will be able to make his next scheduled start at NYY. Looks like Straily's fate may be in only Parker's hands now.

Edited by dangerous

Spoke too soon:

Athletics optioned RHP Dan Straily to Triple-A Sacramento.

Advice: Straily allowed six runs over 4 2/3 innings Monday in a spot start. He'll get another shot later this summer.

Spoke too soon:

Advice: Straily allowed six runs over 4 2/3 innings Monday in a spot start. He'll get another shot later this summer.

You didn't speak too soon. This was mentioned on the previous page. We were just conjecturing that, since Anderson left the game last night with a flare-up of the ankle, if he's unable to make his start, Straily will be recalled without starting in AAA.

Spoke too soon:

You didn't speak too soon. This was mentioned on the previous page. We were just conjecturing that, since Anderson left the game last night with a flare-up of the ankle, if he's unable to make his start, Straily will be recalled without starting in AAA.

lol this is what I get for being lazy and only reading The Harsh's and FearTheBeard's summaries on the prior page.

Spoke too soon:

Anderson would have to be DL'd for that to happen. Straily must stay in the minors for a minimum of 10 days unless he is recalled to replace someone who has been DL'd.

Edited by The Harsh
Please take all your BC questions (team-specific evaluations) to the Bench Coach Help subforum.

Anderson to the DL, Straily stays in Oakland to take his starts. Straily will have a good several starts to make his case to stay over Parker or Griffen.

And this thread has life again!

And this thread has life again!

Omg! I'm so excited!

• Like 2