PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

I still don't get it with this guy

i don't get why ppl come in this thread who aren't remotely interested in Straily trashing on him. haters gonna hate i suppose.

Gah! Right after I drop him....

Damn you Oakland! Guess they rushed Anderson back too soon with that 5 inning relief performance

Straily will not supplant either Griffin nor Parker based on performances. After last years valuable contributions from both of these SP's, they've earned long leashes. Peripherals are there for both of them, location, trust and execution seem to be their issues, and knowing the A's and their staff, they're working hard to correct them, as evident with Parkers results last night.

Straily now has an opportunity to show one of 2 things with Andersons DL stint. Either he'll show he's ready or he won't. Whatever the outcome, it will be decided on the field, not in a forum.

He has the tools and make up to succeed, but seems to lack a bit of confidence at the moment due to a few mistakes being hammered by a very formidable opponent in the Angels in his last turn. The mechanical adjustment they made prior to last season looks to me to have been shelved for some reason as seen with his results. I'm not a scout, but have seen him pitch a lot living just down the road from Sacramento. The starts I attended, he was sitting at 92-94 and touching 96 when needed. That's been missing so far this season for whatever reason. He doesn't seem to be hiding the ball either, giving the hitters a good look, as it seems he's not fooling anyone at the moment.

After a long story that I meant to be short, injury or trade is the only way I see him making the rotation, and right now, he has that scenario, lets hope he makes the best of his opportunity. If he can regain the form he showed in Sacramento last year, he may just stick, at whose expense is the question, but I believe Anderson is the key here. His injury may just be more severe than thought, we'll know soon enough.

Straily will not supplant either Griffin nor Parker based on performances. After last years valuable contributions from both of these SP's, they've earned long leashes. Peripherals are there for both of them, location, trust and execution seem to be their issues, and knowing the A's and their staff, they're working hard to correct them, as evident with Parkers results last night.

Straily now has an opportunity to show one of 2 things with Andersons DL stint. Either he'll show he's ready or he won't. Whatever the outcome, it will be decided on the field, not in a forum.

He has the tools and make up to succeed, but seems to lack a bit of confidence at the moment due to a few mistakes being hammered by a very formidable opponent in the Angels in his last turn. The mechanical adjustment they made prior to last season looks to me to have been shelved for some reason as seen with his results. I'm not a scout, but have seen him pitch a lot living just down the road from Sacramento. The starts I attended, he was sitting at 92-94 and touching 96 when needed. That's been missing so far this season for whatever reason. He doesn't seem to be hiding the ball either, giving the hitters a good look, as it seems he's not fooling anyone at the moment.

After a long story that I meant to be short, injury or trade is the only way I see him making the rotation, and right now, he has that scenario, lets hope he makes the best of his opportunity. If he can regain the form he showed in Sacramento last year, he may just stick, at whose expense is the question, but I believe Anderson is the key here. His injury may just be more severe than thought, we'll know soon enough.

Yeah, I think that's probably true. Parker looked somewhat better the other night, and Griffen has pitched well. If Straily had been dominant then I'd say maybe it was a possibility. With Beane we could also be looking at some trade scenarios if the market is right for Straily or Griffen (don't think he'd consider trading Parker yet).

As for the radar gun thing, maybe the minor league gun is hot? I'd heard several time in Straily coming up and going down he'd hit mid to upper 90's in AAA, but I've never seen him to higher than 93 (I think someone referenced 94 before?) and mostly sitting 90-91. It would be strange to abandon the mechanical changes that led to so much success in the minors once he got to the majors (and from watching him I don't think he has), but stranger things have happened.

The tweak to his mechanics are fairly new, late 2011 I believe, prior, he was nothing special. After making any mechanical adjustment, it's very easy to revert to what one did for soo many years when confidence is shaky or lost, so I'm not totally surprised to see him go back to what he's known for soo long.

I don't rely on other peoples data when it comes to prospects, I spend a lot of time at the ball park watching them myself, and making my own evaluations. People see things differently in all aspects of life, such is the case when it comes to prospects, you either believe or you don't, and most of the time, you can't change someones mind when it's set. Results, over a period can, but that's the only way.

The guns that I saw being used in Sacramento were scouts', not the stadium gun, so I tend to believe their results as I saw them with my own eyes. Bottom line is, we only have such a small sample to work from, time will tell, and as an avid A's fan for over 40 years, I only hope he returns to the pitcher I watched in Sacramento last year aand brings it to Oakland this year.

I still don't get it with this guy

i don't get why ppl come in this thread who aren't remotely interested in Straily trashing on him. haters gonna hate i suppose.

Career 4+ ERA and given up 13 bombs in 9 starts. The K's are legit, but he's far from deserving 15 pages

The tweak to his mechanics are fairly new, late 2011 I believe, prior, he was nothing special. After making any mechanical adjustment, it's very easy to revert to what one did for soo many years when confidence is shaky or lost, so I'm not totally surprised to see him go back to what he's known for soo long.

I don't rely on other peoples data when it comes to prospects, I spend a lot of time at the ball park watching them myself, and making my own evaluations. People see things differently in all aspects of life, such is the case when it comes to prospects, you either believe or you don't, and most of the time, you can't change someones mind when it's set. Results, over a period can, but that's the only way.

The guns that I saw being used in Sacramento were scouts', not the stadium gun, so I tend to believe their results as I saw them with my own eyes. Bottom line is, we only have such a small sample to work from, time will tell, and as an avid A's fan for over 40 years, I only hope he returns to the pitcher I watched in Sacramento last year aand brings it to Oakland this year.

That's interesting that those readings are from scout guns. I had always heard he'd hit mid 90's, but just never saw it when he pitched. I'm an A's fan as well, but don't get over to Sacramento to catch any Rivercat games. I also assumed he was using the new delivery because it looks like what was described in scouting reports. He could easily be changing something, or overthrowing, who knows. I would love if he could slide into a #3 type starter role as Colon won't be able to pitch forever, but I think a trade might be most likely with Sonny Gray on the horizon.

is his next start vs the yankees? yelp, might not grab him after all

Looks like he's taking on Andy Pettitte @ Yankee Stadium this weekend. Not a good matchup in the sandlot...the Yankees are lighting up right handers this year. Was loving Anderson in this spot at the beginning of the week before the 19 inning debacle where he re-injured himself...the Yankees are bottom five hitting against lefties. Now? Not so much...

I'm leaning towards not starting him because its in Yankee Stadium.

edit: i'll go under 3.

Edited by tonguetied89

Anyone throwing him tomorrow against NY?

I started him this week in roto after he was called up, hoping for good things against the Angels as my decimatedly injured SP's leave me continually scouring the WW for band aids until Greinke, Weaver, etc. get back. Don't think I would have if I knew Anderson would get injured and miss the start, and I'm thinking that Straily is going to hurt me bad today.

Bad.

Edited by Damn Yankee

we'll see. i am really throwing him hoping for some k's.. i don't think he gets rocked though, i see a good line

6.1 IP 1 ER 1BB 6K

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he posts a decent line (the yankees lineup is nothing scary) it's something of a 50/50 i'd think.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he posts a decent line (the yankees lineup is nothing scary) it's something of a 50/50 i'd think.

Yankee stadium is like Coors field though, especially for LHP. Pop outs go for homers in that little league park. And all we know on Straily so far in his limited MLB stints is that he gives up homers at the same rates as Jose Lima. RIP Jose Lima, but that is not company you want to be mentioned in. Yankees have 23 homers at home, 2nd in the majors. That is really the only thing that would concern me.

• Like 1

Yankee stadium is like Coors field though, especially for LHP. Pop outs go for homers in that little league park. And all we know on Straily so far in his limited MLB stints is that he gives up homers at the same rates as Jose Lima. RIP Jose Lima, but that is not company you want to be mentioned in. Yankees have 23 homers at home, 2nd in the majors. That is really the only thing that would concern me.

Cano and Hafner might get to him. He's ok vs. righties.

Cano and Hafner might get to him. He's ok vs. righties.

Lyle Overbay has been hitting some cheapies at that stadium too. Would not surprise me if Ichiro cranked his first Yankee stadium HR of the year today either.

Edited by Cmilne23

Yankees are 2nd in OPS and ISO vs righties this season.