PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he posts a decent line (the yankees lineup is nothing scary) it's something of a 50/50 i'd think.

Yankees are 2nd in OPS and ISO vs righties this season.

thanks for bringing the stats boyss.

is there anywhere in particular where I can find THIS type of information (team ranks in things like OPS, ISO,etc.)? fangraphs?

Nice, clean first (9 pitches), making Vernon Wells look silly on the K.

Kept him in my NA spot for this start with no one to really drop when I'm in need of some QS and Ws - - (have Pettitte in this matchup too).

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he posts a decent line (the yankees lineup is nothing scary) it's something of a 50/50 i'd think.

Yankees are 2nd in OPS and ISO vs righties this season.

thanks for bringing the stats boyss.

is there anywhere in particular where I can find THIS type of information (team ranks in things like OPS, ISO,etc.)? fangraphs?

Fangraphs

• Like 1

Top of the 6th, gives up a single, gets an out, then walks Hafner. 2 on, 1 out, gets pulled. Blevins comes in and gives up a double to Ichiro.

Hopefully Blevins can keep him in line for the W.

edit: No luck. Another single, tied game. Final line 5.1 innings, 4 H, 3 ER, 3BB, 4 SO. Both of his runners that got inherited scored. <_<

Edited by Sternes

reason to think this guy sticks when Anderson returns?

None.

Again, I don't get it. This guy sucks

Perfect streaming option for tomorrow vs Mariners... he's a power pitcher with high K upside, what's not to like?

It's really, really easy to look at his numbers and see the potential -- and I don't just mean his minor league numbers. On a very basic level, this season at the MLB level he's struck out a lot of guys and walked very few. If all you look at is ERA when evaluating pitchers, then I can see why you think he sucks. And if all you look at is ERA when evaluating pitchers, you probably play in a shallow mixed league and Straily does "suck" when compared to other players available in the player pool. So there's probably no reason for you to even comment on this thread, because you're adding nothing.

• Like 4

It's really, really easy to look at his numbers and see the potential -- and I don't just mean his minor league numbers. On a very basic level, this season at the MLB level he's struck out a lot of guys and walked very few. If all you look at is ERA when evaluating pitchers, then I can see why you think he sucks. And if all you look at is ERA when evaluating pitchers, you probably play in a shallow mixed league and Straily does "suck" when compared to other players available in the player pool. So there's probably no reason for you to even comment on this thread, because you're adding nothing.

The guy has a 4.50 ERA in the majors. Given up 13 HR in 10 starts. I just don't get it. At some point you have to look at his ERA and tell yourself he's not going to win a whole lot of games. Sure he has a nice 8.5K/9, but there are a few other categories he's crushing you in.

As far as me not commenting in this thread....I comment on a whole bunch of threads I don't care about. I like to discuss baseball. Is that not why we are here?

A public reminder, to get it back on the topic of the player not one another.

Straily will not supplant either Griffin nor Parker based on performances. After last years valuable contributions from both of these SP's, they've earned long leashes. Peripherals are there for both of them, location, trust and execution seem to be their issues, and knowing the A's and their staff, they're working hard to correct them, as evident with Parkers results last night.

Straily now has an opportunity to show one of 2 things with Andersons DL stint. Either he'll show he's ready or he won't. Whatever the outcome, it will be decided on the field, not in a forum.

He has the tools and make up to succeed, but seems to lack a bit of confidence at the moment due to a few mistakes being hammered by a very formidable opponent in the Angels in his last turn. The mechanical adjustment they made prior to last season looks to me to have been shelved for some reason as seen with his results. I'm not a scout, but have seen him pitch a lot living just down the road from Sacramento. The starts I attended, he was sitting at 92-94 and touching 96 when needed. That's been missing so far this season for whatever reason. He doesn't seem to be hiding the ball either, giving the hitters a good look, as it seems he's not fooling anyone at the moment.

After a long story that I meant to be short, injury or trade is the only way I see him making the rotation, and right now, he has that scenario, lets hope he makes the best of his opportunity. If he can regain the form he showed in Sacramento last year, he may just stick, at whose expense is the question, but I believe Anderson is the key here. His injury may just be more severe than thought, we'll know soon enough.

Yeah, I think that's probably true. Parker looked somewhat better the other night, and Griffen has pitched well. If Straily had been dominant then I'd say maybe it was a possibility. With Beane we could also be looking at some trade scenarios if the market is right for Straily or Griffen (don't think he'd consider trading Parker yet).

As for the radar gun thing, maybe the minor league gun is hot? I'd heard several time in Straily coming up and going down he'd hit mid to upper 90's in AAA, but I've never seen him to higher than 93 (I think someone referenced 94 before?) and mostly sitting 90-91. It would be strange to abandon the mechanical changes that led to so much success in the minors once he got to the majors (and from watching him I don't think he has), but stranger things have happened.

Very slim chance either Straily or Griffin get traded.Anderson and Parker would be on the block first. Why would you trade the guy you're paying league minimum too now and the next couple of years?How is it strange that a pitcher who sits 91, has hit 94 once before? You said you've even seen him hit 93. Either way who cares Straily isn't an elite talent because of the velocity on his fastball.

I will agree with McBane and say that if Straily was consistently hitting 94 and touched 96, the house gun was hot. Teams will do this often to build hype and awe.

Straily will sit 89-91 on nearly every fastball. Velocity (and fastball in general) is not his strong suit his strenghts are his secondary pitches.

I'm definitely throwing him out there, it's a terrific match up. However, it'll be hard for him to get a W with Iwakuma taking the bump as well.

Oakland nearly traded Strailey last year until the Dodgers offered more for Hanley. While I agree he probably won't get traded, it's not a sure thing Parker/Anderson would get traded first.

how many more starts does he have? Just 1 more after Friday I think. Then Anderson returns

Straily will not supplant either Griffin nor Parker based on performances. After last years valuable contributions from both of these SP's, they've earned long leashes. Peripherals are there for both of them, location, trust and execution seem to be their issues, and knowing the A's and their staff, they're working hard to correct them, as evident with Parkers results last night.

Straily now has an opportunity to show one of 2 things with Andersons DL stint. Either he'll show he's ready or he won't. Whatever the outcome, it will be decided on the field, not in a forum.

He has the tools and make up to succeed, but seems to lack a bit of confidence at the moment due to a few mistakes being hammered by a very formidable opponent in the Angels in his last turn. The mechanical adjustment they made prior to last season looks to me to have been shelved for some reason as seen with his results. I'm not a scout, but have seen him pitch a lot living just down the road from Sacramento. The starts I attended, he was sitting at 92-94 and touching 96 when needed. That's been missing so far this season for whatever reason. He doesn't seem to be hiding the ball either, giving the hitters a good look, as it seems he's not fooling anyone at the moment.

After a long story that I meant to be short, injury or trade is the only way I see him making the rotation, and right now, he has that scenario, lets hope he makes the best of his opportunity. If he can regain the form he showed in Sacramento last year, he may just stick, at whose expense is the question, but I believe Anderson is the key here. His injury may just be more severe than thought, we'll know soon enough.

Yeah, I think that's probably true. Parker looked somewhat better the other night, and Griffen has pitched well. If Straily had been dominant then I'd say maybe it was a possibility. With Beane we could also be looking at some trade scenarios if the market is right for Straily or Griffen (don't think he'd consider trading Parker yet).

As for the radar gun thing, maybe the minor league gun is hot? I'd heard several time in Straily coming up and going down he'd hit mid to upper 90's in AAA, but I've never seen him to higher than 93 (I think someone referenced 94 before?) and mostly sitting 90-91. It would be strange to abandon the mechanical changes that led to so much success in the minors once he got to the majors (and from watching him I don't think he has), but stranger things have happened.

Very slim chance either Straily or Griffin get traded.Anderson and Parker would be on the block first. Why would you trade the guy you're paying league minimum too now and the next couple of years?How is it strange that a pitcher who sits 91, has hit 94 once before? You said you've even seen him hit 93. Either way who cares Straily isn't an elite talent because of the velocity on his fastball.

I was saying that it's suspect that someone who sits 89-91 in the pros would sit at 94-95 in the minors, and if that's owed to new mechanics why would he abandon those mechanics when he got to the bigs, not that hitting 94 was strange. We both agree the gun was most likely hot.

To the poster about ERA, I would just say look back at the previous marathon of posts. Neither the pro-ace Straily side or con-ace Straily side are looking solely at ERA.

And the Hanley trade info was exactly what I was referring to. Beane, all things being equal, will try to hold pitching depth, and retain cheap players with team control, but those also happen to be the most enticing players for trades. Parker probably wouldn't get as much back now with his previous TJ surgery and struggles this season, and I think they rate Griffen over Straily at this point. Straily seems like the classic Beane inflated stock trade chip. His minor league numbers are excellent, so much so I suspect the A's would have put him in the rotation if they believed he was that level of talent. He's useful as a fill in, but the potential to oversell him based on his minor league numbers is far greater than his actual worth. With Sonny Gray waiting in the wings, a younger player with no MLB service accrued, Beane could trade Straily for a needed piece or enticing player and conceivably still retain his pitching depth. But that's all things being equal. If it doesn't make service time/upside sense then Beane won't trade any of them.

Edited by mcbane

Spot starting this guy, first inning morales hits a taylor made DP to Donaldson and he hesitates and can't decide whether or not to grab it so it goes through for a single. Now the next two guys have hit singles ad its 2-0 with men on 2nd and 3rd and one out recorded.

Not sure why I even bothered using this guy, he isn't very good despite the bizarre hype train on him.