PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

In my opinion from watching just a crap load of games this season, this guy has some of the worst overall stuff of any pitcher I have watched this season. He just has nothing but C-, D- and F- offerings. Everything is boring and mediocre in his arsenal. He has to have A+ pin point control to succeed during a given start. I am horrified that he was once projected as a future Cy Young in this thread.

• Like 1

From what I've seen, his slider is decent. Arrow straight 90 MPH fastball though with a below average changeup. I've barely seen him throw any curveballs when I've watched him. He's a back of the rotation arm, maybe with #4 upside if he really harnesses his command.

His stuff kind of reminds me of Joe Blanton's when he first came up, maybe slightly better.

Edited by mjk356

He was pinpoint with his fastball tonight. We've all ragged on him when he's struggled, but have to give him some kudos for the outing tonight. He really threw well.

• Like 1

Any reason to think he might have turned a corner with tonight's start?

I don't own him, but the Rangers in Arlington have been the toughest matchup out there recently, ruining Verlander, Anibal, and Fister consecutive nights.

I'd say he turned a serious corner tonight.

• Like 1

anderson wont be back for a while though. i think parker stays in the rotation. he has pitched better lately.

Is he out of the rotation when Anderson returns? Or is Parker?

That's a long ways to go. Injuries, trades, or plain suckage can open a roster spot. IF he can perform.

I don't own him, but the Rangers in Arlington have been the toughest matchup out there recently, ruining Verlander, Anibal, and Fister consecutive nights.

Doesn't mean anyone's turned a corner. It's not how it works. They weren't going to keep hitting like that. Maybe after seeing some heat v. the Tigers, his FB was like a good change. Timing was off.

Just saying, you can't read too much into one start.

Surprised not to see FoulLine around?

Oh God here we go again. Calling me out? lol as if you've made any predictions, let alone ever been bold. Where is your expert analysis? I haven't seen any analysis out of you, let alone any type of logic resembling anything that be could be considered expert.

But...but...the Cy Young!

You blatantly continue to misinterpret what I said for no reason other than to be argumentative Get real, grow up, and contribute to the thread instead of being an blatant hater. As if I've been so wrong about the "insane" predictions I've made. I said he has the type of talent to one day compete for a Cy Young, I never said he would win the Cy Young this year. My point was stated clear and clean cut, if you had trouble with it please do the rotoworld community a favor and brush up on your reading comprehension skills before you chime in.

Keep in mind that The Hanley trade case is different.

Hanely was on the block and LA was interested in and asking about Straily (among others). That is different than Oakland putting Straily on the block.

If he was off limits he wouldn't have been part of the discussion. The A's pursued Hanley, so I'm sure there were various packages discussed with multiple prospects, but Straily was very much available.

I don't get what you're saying.

LA was interested in Straily, Oakland didn't have Straily on the block. Yeah they would have had to package in Straily to get Hanley but that doesn't mean that they were actively trying to trade him. There is a big difference.

Besides LA having interest in Straily just shows that his type of talent is sought out among big league teams.

Doesn't mean anyone's turned a corner. It's not how it works. They weren't going to keep hitting like that. Maybe after seeing some heat v. the Tigers, his FB was like a good change. Timing was off.

Just saying, you can't read too much into one start.

I get what you're saying but I have to strongly disagree.

Now is the time to buy in on Straily. If you are in a deeper league or a keeper league, get him now before he is a known ace.

Reasons why his start was so impressive (statistically only, I am just about to watch it for the first time).

He just saw Texas a week before and got blown up at home. Sees them on the road in his next start and flat out dominates. Sure it could have been one lucky start.

But against an offense as good as Texas in their home park going up against a rookie pitcher who they just saw a week ago I am going to contribute the pitchers dominance much more to

1) Straily's talent level (first and foremost)

2) Straily's ability to make adjustments (much of this based on 1, his talent level)

3) Oakland's ability as an organization to develop pitchers and give them the proper guidance to succeed

a) honestly what organization develops more pitchers? Oakland is one of if not the best at this.

So for all the reasons to say it's only one start there are many reasons to say yeah this kid is turning the corner. It isn't like we are talking about some scrub pitcher who just had one good start. We are talking about an elite prospect. Sure not elite by Baseball America standards, but elite by my standards and to me that's all that matters.

This is what fantasy baseball is all about. Being ahead of the curve. You guys can wait for him to dominate a few more starts before jumping aboard. But by then it'll be too late.

• Like 1

I do have to say that Straily's schedule from now through June is not looking favorable at all.

SF

CWS

@CWS

NYY

@TEX

@SEA

STL

So he's already seen TEX (twice), NYY, and SEA this year. He will pitch to The White Sox in back to back starts the second of which being in the band box known as U.S. Cellular.

The odds are stacked against this kid, but I have a feeling his true talent shines through.

I have to side with FouLLine about Straily. He's been as dominant in the minors as Cingrani if not more so and he has a better arsenal. I think Straily's struggles are more about pitching in the AL and maybe nerves. His stuff is high quality and I think he will be successful as a MLB pitcher, if not this season then soon.

I have to side with FouLLine about Straily. He's been as dominant in the minors as Cingrani if not more so and he has a better arsenal. I think Straily's struggles are more about pitching in the AL and maybe nerves. His stuff is high quality and I think he will be successful as a MLB pitcher, if not this season then soon.

Also it's a lot harder for a pitcher like Straily to have initial success in the majors.

I like the Cingrani comparasion not because of the way the throw but because of the similar path to the majors. Both the same age, both had a cup of coffee last year, both dominated in the minors big time last year and at the beginning of this year.

Cingrani has a lights out fastball. So it tends to be a bit easier to lean on that.

A catcher has to really learn a pitcher like Straily. Learn his arsenal, learn what too look for to know when a pitch isn't as sharp as it usually is. Know what pitch to really go to in what situation on what given day against any given hitter. There is a lot more to process and learn overall. It may take catching him for 2 months before it really starts to click. But Straily has mega talent. Tons of people doubt that, but I don't for one second.

A lot of the Straily haters haven't even considered these factors. There are a lot of reasons why things are only going to continue to get better for this kid. Sure his upcoming schedule is highly unfavorable but hell it's baseball.

• Like 1

I do have to say that Straily's schedule from now through June is not looking favorable at all.

SF

CWS

@CWS

NYY

@TEX

@SEA

STL

So he's already seen TEX (twice), NYY, and SEA this year. He will pitch to The White Sox in back to back starts the second of which being in the band box known as U.S. Cellular.

The odds are stacked against this kid, but I have a feeling his true talent shines through.

This schedule doesnt seem that bad to me. CWS and SEA offenses have been bottom of the barrel and the Yankees O hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire and tends to struggle ESP with Ks the first time they see a young SP.

Oh FFS here we go. The guy has been throwing batting practice all year and posters who have been touting him dissapear, then he has one good outing and suddenly there are 7 posts from Foul Line.

There is still zero reason to own him at this point. If he has another one or two good starts then maybe re evauate, but right now this guy has been nothing short of brutal and isn't relevant in mixed leagues.

• Like 2

He just absolutely shut down the hottest offense around in one of the best hitters' parks in the league. Give the guy some credit.