PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

Keep in mind that The Hanley trade case is different.

Hanely was on the block and LA was interested in and asking about Straily (among others). That is different than Oakland putting Straily on the block.

If he was off limits he wouldn't have been part of the discussion. The A's pursued Hanley, so I'm sure there were various packages discussed with multiple prospects, but Straily was very much available.

I don't get what you're saying.

LA was interested in Straily, Oakland didn't have Straily on the block. Yeah they would have had to package in Straily to get Hanley but that doesn't mean that they were actively trying to trade him. There is a big difference.

Besides LA having interest in Straily just shows that his type of talent is sought out among big league teams.

I think you mean Miami. The A's were actively pursuing multiple 3B/SS options, and attempted to trade for both Hanley and Headley before acquiring Drew. The Hanley thing was strictly about money, the Marlins trying to dump, and the A's trying to not get saddled with a bad contract. It also doesn't help Straily's case if the Marlins settled on Eovaldi from the Dodgers instead. Everyone knew the Marlins had to trade Hanley, and they'd have to eat some salary, so they had no leverage. Thus they couldn't ask for elite prospects, or expect to get them in return, and they didn't.

Regardless, I don't see why you should get upset when you pimp Straily for a month straight and then when he gets knocked around you don't post. That sort of thing will happen.

I thought he was quite good against Texas the other day, which is pretty much in line with my thought of him as a number 3 or 4 (at most). He'll pitch really well sometimes when he has it all working, but poorly other times because he doesn't have the stuff to overcome mistakes. He doesn't have the talent to compete for a Cy Young, but he can be good. As sort of a barometer Samardzija has a 3.4ish ERA, a 1.14ish WHIP, and about 11 k/9 and people are calling him a number 2. If he's a number 2 Straily is, on his absolute best day, a 3.

Edited by mcbane

Oh FFS here we go. The guy has been throwing batting practice all year and posters who have been touting him dissapear, then he has one good outing and suddenly there are 7 posts from Foul Line.

There is still zero reason to own him at this point. If he has another one or two good starts then maybe re evauate, but right now this guy has been nothing short of brutal and isn't relevant in mixed leagues.

yeah but in keeper leagues, he is most definitely worthy of a spot.

Oh FFS here we go. The guy has been throwing batting practice all year and posters who have been touting him dissapear, then he has one good outing and suddenly there are 7 posts from Foul Line.

There is still zero reason to own him at this point. If he has another one or two good starts then maybe re evauate, but right now this guy has been nothing short of brutal and isn't relevant in mixed leagues.

i kind of agree with this

There are 2 things that happened in that last start. A - Straily was not going to have a 7.27 ERA over the course of the season. B - The Rangers weren't going to continue to score runs at ridiculous pace with Ian Kinsler out.

Hell, Colon just shut them out the game before. Its law of averages, a lineup due to cool off and a pitcher due for a good start. I wouldn't go adding him in every format yet. He just got absolutely blown up by one of the worst offenses in baseball in the Mariners 2 starts ago. I knew this thread would get all warm and fuzzy after he had one good start. I need to see a longer sample size before I buy in.

There are 2 things that happened in that last start. A - Straily was not going to have a 7.27 ERA over the course of the season. B - The Rangers weren't going to continue to score runs at ridiculous pace with Ian Kinsler out.

Hell, Colon just shut them out the game before. Its law of averages, a lineup due to cool off and a pitcher due for a good start. I wouldn't go adding him in every format yet. He just got absolutely blown up by one of the worst offenses in baseball in the Mariners 2 starts ago. I knew this thread would get all warm and fuzzy after he had one good start. I need to see a longer sample size before I buy in.

You must admit that he's an intriguing 2 start option SF/CWS. As bad as he's been. I'd start your boy Kluber with that 2-start week.

Hanely was on the block and LA was interested in and asking about Straily (among others). That is different than Oakland putting Straily on the block.

If he was off limits he wouldn't have been part of the discussion. The A's pursued Hanley, so I'm sure there were various packages discussed with multiple prospects, but Straily was very much available.

LA was interested in Straily, Oakland didn't have Straily on the block. Yeah they would have had to package in Straily to get Hanley but that doesn't mean that they were actively trying to trade him. There is a big difference.

Besides LA having interest in Straily just shows that his type of talent is sought out among big league teams.

I think you mean Miami. The A's were actively pursuing multiple 3B/SS options, and attempted to trade for both Hanley and Headley before acquiring Drew. The Hanley thing was strictly about money, the Marlins trying to dump, and the A's trying to not get saddled with a bad contract. It also doesn't help Straily's case if the Marlins settled on Eovaldi from the Dodgers instead. Everyone knew the Marlins had to trade Hanley, and they'd have to eat some salary, so they had no leverage. Thus they couldn't ask for elite prospects, or expect to get them in return, and they didn't.

Regardless, I don't see why you should get upset when you pimp Straily for a month straight and then when he gets knocked around you don't post. That sort of thing will happen.

I thought he was quite good against Texas the other day, which is pretty much in line with my thought of him as a number 3 or 4 (at most). He'll pitch really well sometimes when he has it all working, but poorly other times because he doesn't have the stuff to overcome mistakes. He doesn't have the talent to compete for a Cy Young, but he can be good. As sort of a barometer Samardzija has a 3.4ish ERA, a 1.14ish WHIP, and about 11 k/9 and people are calling him a number 2. If he's a number 2 Straily is, on his absolute best day, a 3.

Good post, but want to clarify one thing. Dodgers took most (all?) of Hanley's contract, while Oakland was playing a game of chicken trying to get Miami to pay a big chunk. It wasn't strictly a Straily vs. Eovaldi thing.

You must admit that he's an intriguing 2 start option SF/CWS. As bad as he's been. I'd start your boy Kluber with that 2-start week.

San Fran keeps crushing my pitchers this season. I think I am stuck in 2011 mode when they were a gimme stream. Now they are 11th in runs and crush RHP. 6 regulars with an .800+ OPS vs. RHP. I could easily see him getting knocked around by them. White Sox are an enigma. They are not as bad as they are ranked right now, but they have a lot of hackers. If his location is on like it was against the Rangers he could shut them down easily, but if he has anything other than A to B control I could see him giving up 3+ jacks against those guys. But in weekly leagues it may be worth a dice roll.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

San Fran has been pretty relentless. They will single you into submission and very hard to strikeout. Throw in Bumgarner and now that first matchup does not look so cushy anymore.

• Like 1

Good post, but want to clarify one thing. Dodgers took most (all?) of Hanley's contract, while Oakland was playing a game of chicken trying to get Miami to pay a big chunk. It wasn't strictly a Straily vs. Eovaldi thing.

Thanks. And I agree. I probably could have been clearer. Money was the motivating factor, and the A's, no matter what, weren't going to take on the money the Dodgers would. It was more a relative comp, as with how cheap the A's are giving up Straily plus any money sort of tells you the value of Straily the way the Dodgers taking on all the salary sort of tells you the value of Eovaldi.

I think that's sort of the risk for Straily as long as you have him on your roster. There really isn't a good barometer of if/when he'll dominate or get shelled. Sure there's that risk for almost every pitcher, but with Straily's hittability he's prone to giving up runs to teams/players you would say he shouldn't. I think there's always a risk aspect to tossing him out that's more pronounced than other pitchers.

You cannot discount a pitchers performance against a top tier offense simply because you felt they were "due" to have a bad game.

Again Straily just saw them the start before and was bad. This time around he was outstanding. Seeing a team in back to back starts is generally bad for a pitcher, especially a rookie.

Also please define "ridiculous pace". Because The Ranger's offense is by no means playing over their head or out of this world.

Anyone who compares our posts in this thread can clearly see I have offered far more insight and a better more detailed analysis. It's along season you can beat your chest every time Straily gets blown up and I can beat my chest every time he dominates. Let's just see where it shakes out in the end.

Where are all the people who were defending Brett Anderson so hard?

Edited by The Harsh
Stick to the argument, not its author.

Anyone who compares our posts in this thread can clearly see I have offered far more insight and a better more detailed analysis. It's along season you can beat your chest every time Straily gets blown up and I can beat my chest every time he dominates. Let's just see where it shakes out in the end.

I think my main issue with the overall argument in favor of Straily is the lack of any analysis. To me it appears to be purely emotional which, hey, if you like a guy whatever, but there's a huge difference between insight and analysis and being enamored.

But anyway, he pitched very well against Texas, but I didn't see anything that would change my assesment, just like with his terrible starts I'd still call him a 3 or 4. He didnt have a spike in velocity, but his control was better. Also some luck, he left a few up an over the plate that Texas didn't do much with, but that's true of a lot of pitchers. If I owned him I might be hesitant to start him against SF, unless in a head to head you can afford the whip/era hit as the Giants have a good number of hitters who make great contact and that's the type of team I would try to avoid throwing Straily against with his lack of velocity and tendency to be around the plate.

And Brett Anderson's still a better pitcher than Straily. His foot fracture doesn't change that.

Edited by mcbane

I'm here. He hasn't pitched an inning since that argument so what does that have to do with anything? He fractured his ankle. Come talk to me in September.

• Like 1

I've touted him and have never disappeared from doing so and I still am not convinced after his shutting down a less than full strength Rangers lineup in Arlington. He has some skills. No one does what he did in the PCL without skill. That said, MLB hitters are a world of difference compared to AAA guys. Can't really say one way or another at this point. A lot of guys can excel in the minors and have it not translate the the majors. Conversely, a lot of guys struggle and then figure it out.

I've touted him and have never disappeared from doing so and I still am not convinced after his shutting down a less than full strength Rangers lineup in Arlington. He has some skills. No one does what he did in the PCL without skill. That said, MLB hitters are a world of difference compared to AAA guys. Can't really say one way or another at this point. A lot of guys can excel in the minors and have it not translate the the majors. Conversely, a lot of guys struggle and then figure it out.

I don't think you we're part of the group that said he has Cy Young potential. That's what started off this whole thing.

How much longer before hes demoted? Hes on my milb roster right now because I cant afford to waste a roster spot once hes sent back down.. But hes been doing well I dont see how they send him down

How much longer before hes demoted? Hes on my milb roster right now because I cant afford to waste a roster spot once hes sent back down.. But hes been doing well I dont see how they send him down

With the injury to Anderson he won't be going down for awhile. He also bought himself some time with the very good performance vs Texas and the ok one today. As long as the A's can get by they won't start Gray's clock.

He was taken out after only 78 pitches... and A's forced doolittle to do 2 innings as result.... red flags here.

Was he hurt or is he on some pitch count?

don't think i trust him against the white sox later this week. if he can throw together another QS or 2 i'll def consider grabbing him, if he's still available.

edit: i realize that is a team one should be able to trust him against lol. but i just mean that he hasnt done enough yet for me to trust him..

Edited by MiggyRunsTings

He was taken out after only 78 pitches... and A's forced doolittle to do 2 innings as result.... red flags here.

Was he hurt or is he on some pitch count?

No, it was just the situation in the game. Straily had given up a run in the previous jnning and it could have been worse, and the Giants had two lefties coming up in the 7th, so Melvin went with Doolittle.