PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

Oh FFS here we go. The guy has been throwing batting practice all year and posters who have been touting him dissapear, then he has one good outing and suddenly there are 7 posts from Foul Line.

There is still zero reason to own him at this point. If he has another one or two good starts then maybe re evauate, but right now this guy has been nothing short of brutal and isn't relevant in mixed leagues.

Anyone who compares our posts in this thread can clearly see I have offered far more insight and a better more detailed analysis. It's along season you can beat your chest every time Straily gets blown up and I can beat my chest every time he dominates. Let's just see where it shakes out in the end.

Where are all the people who were defending Brett Anderson so hard?

I'm here. He hasn't pitched an inning since that argument so what does that have to do with anything? He fractured his ankle. Come talk to me in September.

Anderson has actually pitched 2 or 3 times since that conversation. My point was pretty obvious, but went over your head. So here it is, basically I get stigmatized because I didn't post after Straily had a bad start. Yet I don't see any of the Brett Anderson fans posting anything now. Besides, we all knew he was going to get injured. I mentioned this many times before it happened, which Anderson being so injury prone was the main reason why I felt Straily would get into the rotation early this season.

We will revisit this at the end of the season. Don't forget, cause honestly I probably will.

Back to back great starts. Straily's starting to show his talents.

Highest K% by far of any A's starter.

2nd best WHIP 1.15 to Colon's 1.13, which I doubt Colon ends the season with a better WHIP.

2nd best WHIP 1.15 to Colon's 1.13, which I doubt Colon ends the season with a better WHIP.

Straily's last two starts:

13 innings in only 166 pitches. That's under 13 pitches an inning. Very efficient.

I am a bit dissapointed by only 1K vs giants and the fact he was taken out after 78 pitches though.

Er, he has a 7.36 k%. While that may be the highest amongst the A's starters (which is sad), it isn't great. It's pretty mediocre. And now he's had his LOB% and Hr/Fb % go out of whack to the other extreme at 57.1% and 6.1% respectively. The Texas start was very good, but the Giants start was not. Pence nearly took him deep twice and there were multiple hard hit balls right at people. He only had one K and barely got out of the trouble inning. It was an encouraging result because he got out of trouble, but by no means is this a trend based on his underlying stats. The one encouraging one is that he's upped his GB% about 9 points, but considering his previous history it'll take quite a few more starts before that can really be commented on, but his Fip and xFip are fairly encouraging as well at 3.71 and 4.36. I think he's a fairly good start against the White Sox, as they can't hit anything right now, but, as I've said before, it's just as likely he gives up a few bombs to guys like Dunn or Viciedo with his stuff around the plate. I would say it would still most likely be a good start.

But anyway, nothing new here. No velocity uptick yesterday, or anything that stood out. It wasn't a great start, it was ok. Having the highest K% in reference to a staff that doesnt strike out people is misleading, and I'm pretty sure neither Colon nor Straily will have their WHIP's under 1.20. Anderson is still the superior talent, and there's still no way Straily competes for a CY Young.

• Like 2

no way Straily competes for a CY Young.

Nobody ever said anything about the Cy Young. Now the MVP, that's realistic.

Seriously, the dude plays in OAK, not to mention a division that includes SEA and HOU. He's worth the occasional stream, possibly owning in a deep AL-Only/mixed league.

no way Straily competes for a CY Young.

Nobody ever said anything about the Cy Young. Now the MVP, that's realistic.

Seriously, the dude plays in OAK, not to mention a division that includes SEA and HOU. He's worth the occasional stream, possibly owning in a deep AL-Only/mixed league.

I think you're selling him too short, he may win the Triple Crown too. But a certain someone did indeed mention "Cy Young".

And that last part. Yes. Exactly.

FILTHY

glad i picked him up this week. could even end up being a mainstay. possibly turned a corner here boys. he did me dirty earlier in the year, but i just couldn't resist anymore!

He's a pretty strong start today, no? CWS have been brutal lately.

I think so. ( Or should I say I hope so.)

In his last three starts (19.0 innings), Straily has allowed just two runs and one walk. The right-hander's ERA is still up at 4.60, but opposing batters are hitting just .225 against Straily. He'll get the White Sox again in his next turn Thursday. Straily held the White Sox to one run on six hits, while recording eight strikeouts over six innings Saturday, but did not factor into the decision in Oakland's 4-3 win.

Wind is blowing from Left to Right at 12mph at U.S. Cellular Field too. Light Rain. Being that U.S. Cellular is a hitters ballpark and Straily and HR / 9 is 0.60 and his HR / FB is 5.3%. White Sox are also 8th in MLB with 21.9% K% and Straily K / 9 is 8.2. All those factors I would say he's a strong start today.

Yea - I'd say so. The Pale Hose are to the point right now where you can basically stream at will on, and Straily's pitched well lately.

Few things to keep in mind - 2nd time they've seen Straily in the last week, Straily is a fly ball pitcher, The Cell gives up a lot of HRs, 10-15 mph wind blowing slightly out and to RF - keep an eye on that.

He's a 4 pitch command guy so hitting his spots will be very important cause in my opinion his stuff isn't good enough to make up for being a little off with his command. Keep the FB down on the corners, continue to see good tilt out of that slider, have the change be just good enough to keep the LHB in check, and please don't throw that curveball - we should be good.

also don't forget the white sox went 14 scoreless innings yesterday. while he has looked good this will be the second time in about a week. regardless of his pitching today if you have a spot I think you hold him because remember last year when he was called up....people were emailing espn as to when he will become listed on the player data.

Edited by ballfan4141

he's looked excellent recently. Manager in my league held him during his rough stretch, I've sent him some kudos after he did the same with me and Tehran

Brutal is putting it mildly. They are now the 2nd worst offence in baseball on the season and over the past 2 weeks they have a wRC+ of 44. That's a weighted metric so average is 100, its extremely rare for a team to be much below 60 or higher than 130, so that gives you an idea of just how bad they have been.

Straily single-handedly making this god-awful offense look pretty good!

Of course, he would crap the bed on the one perfect start that i stream him. Ugh

1 well hit ball, Young probably should have caught the ball that plated the first 2 runs which would've ended the inning, but he slowed up and let it fall in for the hit.

Not too impressed, but he should not be down 3-0, could easily be 0-0 with good D.

• Like 1