PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

I'm tossing him back in the FA pool. His upcoming schedule is @ TEX, @SEA, v STL so I won't be using him in two of the next three. There are some pretty solid streams available this week, so I'm going to take advantage and hopefully Straily will still be around for the @ SEA start if not, thanks for your contributions kid.

Guessing daily league? Weekly leagues it's tough to not grab him, in my opinion. In deep leagues.

Straily is really coming along. I think his biggest adjustment was he needes to realize he cant strike guys out like he did in the minors. Certain MLB players you just have to let them put the ball in play.

The Ks are down but he has increased his overall efficiency exponentially. Pitch counts, WHIP, and ERA are all down. Ill sacrifice some K/9 to see better WHIPs and ERAs.

Has anyone taken a look at his WHIP on the season? It's downright elite. A 1.07 WHIP helps 99% of fantasy baseball players.

.259 BABIP is not likely to be sustainable (O.Co helps), but 59% strand rate is rock bottom low for a solid pitcher who has kept the ball in the park (4% HR/FB is unsustainable as well). that's why the ERA is bad but the WHIP is good. I'd expect them to go in opposite directions.

I think holding him really means expecting the Ks to materialize. otherwise he's just sort of a meh, start at O.Co type of pitcher. prototypical mediOAKer as Grey @Razzball would say.

Edited by jsp2014
  • Like 1

Has anyone taken a look at his WHIP on the season? It's downright elite. A 1.07 WHIP helps 99% of fantasy baseball players.

.259 BABIP is not likely to be sustainable (O.Co helps), but 59% strand rate is rock bottom low for a solid pitcher who has kept the ball in the park (4% HR/FB is unsustainable as well). that's why the ERA is bad but the WHIP is good. I'd expect them to go in opposite directions.

I think holding him really means expecting the Ks to materialize. otherwise he's just sort of a meh, start at O.Co type of pitcher. prototypical mediOAKer as Grey @Razzball would say.

Just for the Razzball reference you get a +1.

• Like 1

Just for the Razzball reference you get a +1.

Grey is just another blowhard but at least he's entertaining.

any chance he gets sent down when Anderson eventually returns or is he solid in the rotation

any chance he gets sent down when Anderson eventually returns or is he solid in the rotation

he is probably the least stable, but between Anderson's health and the possibility of one of the other 4 getting hurt, it might not come up.

So Texas hasn't been playing great lately... and Straily shut down the Yankees last turn. I'm not sure if I'm going to roll him out there tomorrow, but leaning towards it. Thoughts? Anyone see him pitch his last game?

So Texas hasn't been playing great lately... and Straily shut down the Yankees last turn. I'm not sure if I'm going to roll him out there tomorrow, but leaning towards it. Thoughts? Anyone see him pitch his last game?

After seeing guys like Wang and Rogers dominate Texas.....

Texas hasn't been hitting well lately, but it is still really tough to start a pitcher with @Tex next to their name. I think I'm going to chance it, but I am not confident.

You can't strike out the numbers he was in the PCL last year without having legit skills on causing wiffs. I definitely see them coming.

You can't strike out the numbers he was in the PCL last year without having legit skills on causing wiffs. I definitely see them coming.

I'm not going to speak about Straily specifically because I haven't watched him pitch enough to have a firm opinion but your statement that his k numbers in AAA means he's a legit MLB k pitcher isn't true. Guile can help you generate Ks at the minor league level while MLB hitters foul off your K pitches. Look at Yasmiuero (sp) Petit's minor league k numbers.

Anyone think the strikeouts will come?

The metrics show that they will. He has an excellent 11.8% SwStr%, which is better than strikeout pitchers like Scherzer, Samardzija, Harvey, Verlander, Kershaw, Hernandez just to name a few. He also has a an excellent 37.8% O-Swing% which shows that hitters are swinging at a lot of pitches he throws outside the zone.

• Like 4

I too think his K% will improve and it has gotten better in June. But the type of pitcher he is, the kind that rely on the offspeed stuff he will be better suited to just keeping hitters off balance and not trying to strike everyone out.

Notice how with the decline in his K rate has come with better WHIPs and K/9.

Like I've said earlier in this thread pitchers with deep arsenals like Straily generally take a little bit of time for their catcher to really get on page with them.

Straily over the past 30 days:

32 IPs, only 20 Ks but a 2.20 ERA, and a 0.77 WHIP, along with 4 quality starts.

I too think his K% will improve and it has gotten better in June. But the type of pitcher he is, the kind that rely on the offspeed stuff he will be better suited to just keeping hitters off balance and not trying to strike everyone out.

Notice how with the decline in his K rate has come with better WHIPs and K/9.

Like I've said earlier in this thread pitchers with deep arsenals like Straily generally take a little bit of time for their catcher to really get on page with them.

Straily over the past 30 days:

32 IPs, only 20 Ks but a 2.20 ERA, and a 0.77 WHIP, along with 4 quality starts.

I'll definitely take that over a guy like Marco Estrada that k's a bunch of guys but also gives up a ton of hrs.

So what do the avid Straily followers think of his double starts this week?

Against a suddenly bad hitting Texas team and Seattle? All systems Go for me...I'm starting him over Petitte and his one start.

Starting him. Ive had my eye on him all year, but just added him.

I would not start him today, not a chance. But I sure as hell would on Saturday.

I would not start him today, not a chance. But I sure as hell would on Saturday.

Texas got shutdown by Rogers and Wang

Texas got shutdown by Rogers and Wang

Good teams get shut down, it doesn't mean that everyone is going to do it. I'm leaning toward starting him, but pretty on the fence about it. The reasons to start him have a lot more to do with him being very good lately than the Rangers being fairly bad.