PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

FISH ON, You have been the the biggest scout on Dan since we noticed him. Do you think he gets the fifth rotation spot this year with McCarthy gone or will they drag out Colon's career? Everybody feel free to reply. I have already picked him up in one of my free yahoo leagues. I think he will be very good this year with his chance finally.

Since Colon is in the midst of a suspension, both AJ and Straily should begin the season in the rotation. After Colon returns, I'm guessing it'll come down to who has earned the 5th spot based on performance. AJ had a very nice rookie season in the bigs, and Straily was highly touted due to his massive k rate in the minors.. Both are young and talented and IMHO, both should be starting for the A's all season, but we know that probably won't be the case. 1 will be left out, but who, is the question. I don't think management even knows at this point, but either way, I don't think it really matters, except to those of us who own them in fantasy, as they'll be an asset to the team.

Edited by The Harsh
Moved the posts to the proper forum so a larger number of people can benefit from the insight offered.

Since Colon is in the midst of a suspension, both AJ and Straily should begin the season in the rotation. After Colon returns, I'm guessing it'll come down to who has earned the 5th spot based on performance. AJ had a very nice rookie season in the bigs, and Straily was highly touted due to his massive k rate in the minors.. Both are young and talented and IMHO, both should be starting for the A's all season, but we know that probably won't be the case. 1 will be left out, but who, is the question. I don't think management even knows at this point, but either way, I don't think it really matters, except to those of us who own them in fantasy, as they'll be an asset to the team.

How many games was the suspension for again? I can't seem to find/remember the info. Was it for PED's? Did he already start serving it?

How many games was the suspension for again? I can't seem to find/remember the info. Was it for PED's? Did he already start serving it?

Colon, 39, went 10-9 with a 3.43 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 24 starts last season, but the numbers were essentially rendered meaningless once he failed a drug test and was suspended for 50 games. Colon still has five games left on his suspension, but he should be good to go at the start of the season. Despite his nice numbers last year, Colon should be left to AL-only leagues in most formats

As per to CBS..

Thanks Jay, I hadn't realized how many games had already been served.

That changes things a bit. ST is going to be very important for AJ and Straily as both are competing for the 5th spot. I don't think there's a clear cut favorite at this point, but it will be a shame for the one that loses out. As a fan, it's nice to see the depth, as an owner of AJ, I'm a little concerned I traded for a pitcher possibly earmarked in a QS league as a long reliever,or worse yet, headed to Sacramento.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this situation but will be getting all my information from blogs and ST reports,as will most of us, no first hand knowledge. Bummer.

I like him if he has a spot in the rotation. Unfortunately it's looking like he will be optioned when colon returns

Owned in 14% of Yahoo! leagues. Going up against Houston. Pick him up if you haven't already. This guy has ace potential.

isn't he getting sent down after this start?

Yeah, that's the tentative plan, I believe. Though I would imagine it won't be for too long. Straily is ready for the bigs.

Yeah, that's the tentative plan, I believe. Though I would imagine it won't be for too long. Straily is ready for the bigs.

Where was this reported?

Where was this reported?

Or is it just speculated as Colon comes off of the DL soon?

Where was this reported?

Or is it just speculated as Colon comes off of the DL soon?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_04_03_seamlb_oakmlb_1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_home&c_id=oak

Says he is "expected" to be the one sent down to make room for Colon.

so wait? he will make his one start against Houston and than goes back to AAA? Am i reading it right? I have him so i should def pick up Colon or someone else.

I know there's talks of him getting sent down after his start. But believe me, if he does get sent down it won't be for more than a few starts. This guy has tons of upside and should dominate today.

While I think Straily is a good stream Vs the Astros, and could have a nice mid rotation future - I hate to party poop but where are some of you guys getting this "ace potential", "tons of upside", and "believe me you won't be sorry" stuff? I'm not trying to be a douche - but I'm up for a healthy debate.

First off to answer Jay's question - yes the plan is for Straily to be sent down after this start for Colon - so as others have mentioned for him to get back on the rotation it'll take an injury/poor performance(which is likely to happen in any rotation).

Ok - on to Straily - I get it - he had a great year between AA and AAA last season. K rate through the roof. A poster brought up his season around May/June in the MiLB forum and I quickly looked him up. I was blown away at the numbers, he wasn't even a Top 30 prospect in the A's Organization going into the year(not MLB, the A's). I began watching his starts online with AAA Sacramento and was left saying,"Well - kid has a clue, knows how to pitch, pretty good command, average velocity, not really deceptive, not much movement on his FB, fly ball guy, good slider, decent change, crappy curve, has command of offspeed stuff."

When he got to the bigs late last year I began tuning into his starts and basically observed the exact same thing, just against far better hitters - the results weren't remotely good. Forget the ERA - as a previously poster also stated his FIP was 6.48, xFIP 5.30, here's some other stuff BABIP .225, LOB% 90.7%, 7.32K/9, 3.66 BB/9. SIERA 4.72, GB/FB 0.55. The only pitch he had grade out as effective was his slider.

I'm not blasting the kid, I don't think he sucks - but he doesn't have anything I see that makes me say this kids gonna be great, especially now - even good for that matter talking about the present. So where did the K's come from in AAA? Minor league pitcher can be VERY successful with 4 pitches they can throw for strike, especially when hitters have to think about a 90-92mphFB, and Straily does have a good(maybe good to plus) strikeout offering with his slider.

I've seen Straily twice in person, most recently 3/19/13 Vs the Dodgers at Camelback Vs a watered down lineup and definitely didn't come away impressed. And he was pitching for a job - not a 8 year guy working on his. His command was spotty, had very little feel for his breaking stuff or change(few hangers went a long way), and man is his FB straight.

He just doesn't have that one things that makes someone a #1 or #2 SP, whoever said he throws 93-95mph - nope...Average velocity of 91.2mph last season, I'm not saying he can't top there, but he isn't that guy. Is he super deceptive with a lot of movement on his fastball? Nope. Does he have exceptional command? Nope - it's good, not great. Does he have devastating offspeed offerings? Nope - good slider, usable change. On a plus side - Straily isn't bad at anything either, which to me makes him SCREAM I'm a #3 to #4 SP in the MLB when I get it all figured out. There's a reason folks why the large majority of scouts aren't profiling him to be more than a #3 to back end guy.

Edited by FearTheBeard
  • Like 4

Good stuff Beard....I like many others were sucked in my his high K rate last season....however as you stated, every time I have seen him so far he has looked average not an ace in waiting.....does that mean he can't be an ace? No but at thispoint I think he will have trouble being a part of and staying a part of the A's rotation. I am looking at him as a mid rotation guy for 2014 and a back of the rotiation starter this year if there is a trade or serious injury to an A's starter.

I get what you're saying beard. But dont hold a spring training start against a pitcher.

Generally a pitcher won't release his entire arsenal until his last spring training start as well as teams do not shift on players (dont want to give their hand away) like they do in the regular season (see Hosmers spring last year compares to his season last year).

A .229 BABIP over 39 innings in a starters first year in the show is honestly meaningless.

Don't be surprised if this guy starts The A's first game after The All-Star Break.

Anyone else struggling to determine which long-time veteran poster to side with? FTB and FL both have pretty sterling reputations around here, and both know their stuff...

For today, it's probably a no-brainer... the Astros may possibly be even worse than I imagined.

I really like Straily and would have no problem pitching him against the 'stros; however, my moves are limited and I can't really afford to pick guys up for one start. If he were definitely staying in the rotation, I'd grab him.

I know there's talks of him getting sent down after his start. But believe me, if he does get sent down it won't be for more than a few starts. This guy has tons of upside and should dominate today.

For who, there is no one even close to losing a rotation spot:

Anderson - no

Parker - no

Milone - no

Griffin - no

Colon - no

There is no imminent vacancy unless someone gets hurt.

Since when was griffins spot set in stone? He was very lucky last year and straily is the better pitcher

Since when was griffins spot set in stone? He was very lucky last year and straily is the better pitcher

How is Straily the better pitcher? He allowed 11 HRs in 39 IP last year. Griffin allowed 10 in 82 IP. Griffin has done nothing to put his spot in jeopardy. He was very good last year, he had a solid 1st start this year and his team got the win, he would have to have a good stretch of bad starts before he was a candidate to lose his job.

And if you want to argue luck, Straily was way more lucky in his small sample size than Griffin. He had a .225 BABIP. So when the scuds weren`t going over the fence at ridiculous rates, he was getting lucky with balls in play and had a nice 91% LOB% to put his FIP at 6.48 and xFIP at 5.30.

• Like 1

I agree, he's a 6th starter on a team with 5 pretty good starters right now...an injury is certainly possible but I like all 5 guys ahead of him more than him