PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

I would not start him today, not a chance. But I sure as hell would on Saturday.

Texas got shutdown by Rogers and Wang

St. Louis got shut down by Nolasco yesterday...you won't see me rushing mediocre pitchers to the starting lineup against the Card's anytime soon.

However...I am wary of today against Texas...no doubt. I do like the matchup against Seattle later this week though...enough for me to take a risk.

I'm throwing him out against Texas. They are cold and as of right now, their doesn't seem to be much wind at the Ballpark in Arlington.

I'm throwing him out against Texas. They are cold and as of right now, their doesn't seem to be much wind at the Ballpark in Arlington.

Famous last words...2 season ago, I owned Gio Gonzalez and they played the Rangers at Arlington. I said the same thing. He was absolutely dominated. I think i got lucky and it was ppd in the 4th inning. But i did say the same thing. Good luck man

I would not start him today, not a chance. But I sure as hell would on Saturday.

Texas got shutdown by Rogers and Wang

St. Louis got shut down by Nolasco yesterday...you won't see me rushing mediocre pitchers to the starting lineup against the Card's anytime soon.

However...I am wary of today against Texas...no doubt. I do like the matchup against Seattle later this week though...enough for me to take a risk.

His hr/fb% is at 4.1%, which is not sustainable at all, but his lob% has been very unlucky at about 58%, so he's had a wild swing between these two from last season. So even if those correct back, it should he a trade off. What's stable is his k and walk rate, so I wouldn't really expect those to change. He doesn't have the stuff to sustain the high k rate from AAA, it's mostly on his polish, which doesn't play the same way in the pros.

The biggest thing to point to his success this season, and during this run, is his fastball has graded out as a plus pitch. Its by far his best pitch this season, which is a complete 180 from last season. It could be he's setting it up better, maybe his arm action is better, but I would have to think its mostly luck, as the fb is not a plus pitch. His other pitches have maintained almost the exact same values which also points to the fb being luck, as its actually lost a little velocity on average from last year.

Most likely the scenario will be his fastball comes back to earth some, which will correlate to his HR% correcting, but his lob% should also correct, meaning I don't think we'll see a crazy swing in his overall era (xFIP is a little over 4, and that seems right). He's still a good pitcher, but there's nothing that points to the 2.77era and 0.76 whip being his reality. Good back end fantasy starter. If he gets touched up a little in Texas I wouldn't necessarily pin it on Texas, but corrections. If he gets completely blown up, I would pin that on the stadium.

For the love of god, don't start him.

Only in a weekly league does it make sense to start him.

For the love of god, don't start him.

Only in a weekly league does it make sense to start him.

I'm starting him. Could burn me sure, but are folks forgetting that he dominated them once already in Arlington?

7 IP 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K

Plus he has been one of the best pitchers in MLB the past month. I think you can get too cute with matchups sometimes. And for me anyways...I'm wrong more often than not when I do that.

He's got the Mariners in Seattle next so I'm definitely holding on for now but he'll be a pretty quick drop if I had I need to cut someone loose.

Edited by Jam Master Jay

I didn't start him, I started Leake instead, it wasn't a tough decision. I'll drop

him if I can't depend on him, and that looks like the case.

i can't drop a guy with that kind of WHIP and who's absolutely dominated (that doesn't even justify what he's done) the minor leagues. continuing to hold.

^^ and now we seem to be getting closer to dropville again. not a great start here against an offense he should be handling. had guiterrez 0-2, before letting him battle back to 3-2, then bomb opposite field, which was crushed. now 2 straight walks. yuck.

Holy christ he forgot how to pitch. He can't find the zone at all. He looks awful.

Yeah, wow. Bizarre against the OPS black hole that is Seattle. HR to Gutierrez and then 8 straight balls. Lucky this isn't a better offense or this would be a production of Porcello v Angels in the park.

^^ and now we seem to be getting closer to dropville again. not a great start here against an offense he should be handling. had guiterrez 0-2, before letting him battle back to 3-2, then bomb opposite field, which was crushed. now 2 straight walks. yuck.

I'm going to puke if he gives up anything to Brendan Ryan.

2 straight walks, followed by 2 straight Ks lol. he seems to know how to flash just enough for silly owners like myself to stay believing..

2 straight walks, followed by 2 straight Ks lol. he seems to know how to flash just enough for silly owners like myself to stay believing..

Against the fearsome double team of Brendan Ryan and Endy Chavez. Straily looks awful. 56 pitches through an inning and two thirds against the freakin Mariners.

Against the fearsome double team of Brendan Ryan and Endy Chavez. Straily looks awful. 56 pitches through an inning and two thirds against the freakin Mariners.

he does look awful tonight. i meant in general though; aside from his era (i realize it's a bit silly to say that..) his numbers look solid (whip, hr, k rate, opp ba, etc).

I think I will continue to hold. I dropped him earlier and then had to quickly scoop him up after the great stretch he had. Despite his high pitch count and how bad he seems be playing it is still a 2-1 game and the Ks are there.

pulled in the fourth inning. and i thought i was savvy for rostering him. definitely needs more polish. i like him even more next year if can sustain and build on top of this year's growth.