PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

He should dominate The Cubs today. Straily will stick in the bigs because who else does Oakland have right now? Anderson is out for another month. Straily has too much talent. If he strings together a monster July he may just push Anderson into the pen.

I think he's auditioning to keep his job today. Sonny Gray nearly got the call and is waiting in the wings.

I still don't have the confidence to toss him out there anytime soon, but as a dynasty owner I was getting a bit concerned that he was going to get passed up. With the Oakland organization having good SP depth, it's essential that Straily show well enough this year that he is thought of as a future fixture in the rotation. Don't want to get caught in the whole fighting for your rotation spot every time out for too long. Today should have definitely gone a ways in building some confidence for him and the A's in him.

I watched his start and realized the guy just has no margin for error at all with his fastball.

He has to paint to be successful. In the minors he probably gets away with out spotting it but in the bigs I can see how it would get destroyed.

I watched his start and realized the guy just has no margin for error at all with his fastball.

He has to paint to be successful. In the minors he probably gets away with out spotting it but in the bigs I can see how it would get destroyed.

I'm not sure how you could depict this by watching his start today? He was untouchable today. Yeah Straily doesn't have a lights out fastball, he has to rely on his secondary stuff. But he only gave up one hit and it was a single.

Straily's pitching situation has been terribly unstable.

Back and fourth between the majors and minors (sent down and called back up twice).

Has had a barely sophomore catcher (who is younger than Straily) catching him. Which is especially "disadvantaging" to a pitcher like Straily who can't just pump fastballs and relies on good sequencing to max out the effectiveness of his offspeed stuff.

Up until today 5 of his 12 starts were against teams he has already seen. Texas 3 times in a month??

This is asking a lot from a rookie. Do not doubt that Straily has mad talent.

If him and Norris are on page, this kid could be a fantasy season changing pick up. The learning curve between Norris and Straily is going to be ridiculous.

I fully expect big numbers from Straily here on out.

I'm not sure how you could depict this by watching his start today? He was untouchable today. Yeah Straily doesn't have a lights out fastball, he has to rely on his secondary stuff. But he only gave up one hit and it was a single.

Straily's pitching situation has been terribly unstable.

Back and fourth between the majors and minors (sent down and called back up twice).

Has had a barely sophomore catcher (who is younger than Straily) catching him. Which is especially "disadvantaging" to a pitcher like Straily who can't just pump fastballs and relies on good sequencing to max out the effectiveness of his offspeed stuff.

Up until today 5 of his 12 starts were against teams he has already seen. Texas 3 times in a month??

This is asking a lot from a rookie. Do not doubt that Straily has mad talent.

If him and Norris are on page, this kid could be a fantasy season changing pick up. The learning curve between Norris and Straily is going to be ridiculous.

I fully expect big numbers from Straily here on out.

Nothing has changed.

You've got to like the swinging strike% (11.3). You'd think that would eventually translate to more strikeouts. On the other hand, his strand rate is atrocious (63.3%). Either he's gotten very unlucky with RISP, his bullpen has killed him, or he can't pitch from the stretch to save his life.

• Like 1

You've got to like the swinging strike% (11.3). You'd think that would eventually translate to more strikeouts. On the other hand, his strand rate is atrocious (63.3%). Either he's gotten very unlucky with RISP, his bullpen has killed him, or he can't pitch from the stretch to save his life.

Good points. I'm all in on Straily to have a monster second half.

11.3% swinging strike% puts him at 8th in the league among starters with 60+ innings. He's above guys like Felix Hernandez, Madison Bumgarner, and Clayton Kershaw. Pretty good company to be better than.

It's only going to get better for this kid.

• Like 1

I think pitching out of the stretch definitely sounds like something that may be a problem for him. Once runners get on base they pile on runs, Its a 1-2-3 inning with this guy or a crooked number inning.

ESPN has him starting tomorrow in Pittsburgh against Cole.

Anyone throwing him out there?

ESPN has him starting tomorrow in Pittsburgh against Cole.

Anyone throwing him out there?

I am for sure.

Can't wait, Straily pitching in the NL. The K's could pile really high tonight.

Just in case someone panics after the game Straily is being sent down after tonight's start because he will not be needed till after the break. Sonny Gray was called up tonight simply for middle relief and overall bullpen depth.

• Like 1

As for a corresponding move, Dan Straily, tonight’s starter, won’t be needed again until July 23, so it’s likely he’d be getting extra work at Triple-A Sacramento in the meantime.

As for a corresponding move, Dan Straily, tonight’s starter, won’t be needed again until July 23, so it’s likely he’d be getting extra work at Triple-A Sacramento in the meantime.

It's a shame Straily is really coming around. Overall it'll probably be good for him though.

Its still a little bizarre the move was to bring Gray up vs someone like Scribner. I had a notion there might be some inside report Beane knows of that has Colon on the soon to be suspended list. Other than the monstrous bomb by Pedro he's finishing the 1st half strong. I have no idea what the A's are going to do with Brett on the mend and Gray putting up a 2012 Straily like season on the farm.

Straily is going to be a beast 2nd half... I can't say it enough.

He is going to have to be to keep his job. Straily seems to know that as well as he's come back much more aggressive pounding the strike zone than those few starts he had before the send down. Nothing wrong with professional job security on the line to step up a players game

I think this would carry more weight if you didn't go overboard on the hyperbole when he pitches well, and disappearing when he pitches poorly. There's no difference now then before. He has to be pinpoint to be successful, and I'll get roughed up when he isn't.

• Like 1

I think this would carry more weight if you didn't go overboard on the hyperbole when he pitches well, and disappearing when he pitches poorly. There's no difference now then before. He has to be pinpoint to be successful, and I'll get roughed up when he isn't.

Baseball is a long season. I didn't post for a good 10 days because I was super busy not because Straily pitched bad. Therefore my points are less valid because I didn't post after he got blown up? What am I supposed to post? "Oh there he got blown up mcbane you know everything, and I don't know anything, you called the entire season based off of one bad stretch and I should have succumbed to your argument from the start"? Really?? Come on.

That is your whole argument here. Is that I am wrong because I didn't post one time after Straily pitched bad. I have had plenty of facts to justify why Straily's ERA is inflated well beyond his talent level.

Edited by The Harsh
Stick to the argument and avoid the personal angles.

You say this, yet you do not know this.

It helps every pitcher to be successful if they are pinpoint accurate. That isn't some secret you are revealing. Straily's inconsistencies are mainly due to the fact that he is a ROOKIE and he is being caught by basically another ROOKIE. Coupled with the fact that he just drew a bad schedule seeing Texas 3 times in a month along with many other teams twice in his first 2 months of pitching in the bigs. Not the most fair sample to evaluate a rookie on.

HIs high ERA isn't because he's wild. Not because he doesn't know how to pitch. Not because his fastball is super meat. Yeah I'll give you it's not of the best, but when he pitches off of his secondary stuff it makes his fastball more than good enough.

Edited by FouLLine

Straily is tied for the best WIHP and has the best K/9 (by a wide margin) on The A's.

You say this, yet you do not know this.

It helps every pitcher to be successful if they are pinpoint accurate. That isn't some secret you are revealing. Straily's inconsistencies are mainly due to the fact that he is a ROOKIE and he is being caught by basically another ROOKIE. Coupled with the fact that he just drew a bad schedule seeing Texas 3 times in a month along with many other teams twice in his first 2 months of pitching in the bigs. Not the most fair sample to evaluate a rookie on.

HIs high ERA isn't because he's wild. Not because he doesn't know how to pitch. Not because his fastball is super meat. Yeah I'll give you it's not of the best, but when he pitches off of his secondary stuff it makes his fastball more than good enough.

I'm sure the reason he has struggled has nothing to do with the limitations of his ability, but instead the random excuses of the wind blowing out in an unfavorable park with a team he's had to pitch against two times because that's harrrrrd when you're a rookie. Although I will give you one point; his high ERA isn't because he's wild...because no one has said that ever.

If you would like more in depth analysis please see any of my hundred posts from our previous discussions....

Edited by The Harsh
Stick to the argument and avoid the personal angles.