PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

Straily over his last 9 starts:

5 - 0

2.83 ERA

.196 BAA

39 K / 14 BB

This also includes 2 games where he didn't make it through the 5th inning.

• Like 1

Cool.

Sooooo....what IS different, if anything? Or is this an example of saying something enough makes it so? I'd honestly be interested to hear why this guy is a lock for second-half beastdom.

Cool.

Sooooo....what IS different, if anything? Or is this an example of saying something enough makes it so? I'd honestly be interested to hear why this guy is a lock for second-half beastdom.

Here are key points to why I feel Straily is going to have a better go second half (as they have been bumped by irrelevant arguing).

1. He is not a fastball pitcher, it takes time for a catcher to get on page with him. To learn what works and doesn't when a pitch is off etc.

2. He is being caught by basically a rookie catcher in Derek Norris (a learning curve on pitch calling at the MLB level is expected).

3. He's been bounced back and fourth between the majors and minors this never makes it easy on a rookie.

4. Five of his starts have already been against teams he has already seen (not even a month earlier). He saw Texas 3 times in a month!!

5. His SwStr% is elite and the 7 pitchers with higher SwStr%'s all have K/9's well into the 9's most being in the 10's (Scherzer, Darvish, Harvey, Anibal) except Cole Hamels who is at 8.26, leading me to believe Straily will end the season with a K/9 in the 8's.

6. Pitchers who SwStr% isn't as good as Straily's include Kershaw, MadBun, Felix, and Lincecum. All guys with big time strikeout potential.

7. His LOB% is going to get better, helping his ERA look more in line with his WHIP, K/9, and BAA.

There is a lot to look forward to with this kid.

Thanks, FoulLine - maybe I'll give this kid another look now!

Instead of HOU, looks like he'll get @LAA and v. LAA his first 2 starts back.

3 career starts v. LAA. 7.88 ERA, 1.56 WHIP

If owned, he should be safely on your bench.

Yeah, I was just about to pick him up a few days ago when I saw this. No thanks.

• Like 1

Wow, not good for Straily. But we will see what happens. Straily has had very tough scheduling so far into his young MLB career.

But as bad as he's been against LAA I try to keep in mind they saw him an awful lot as well as the way they hit against him can't possibly continue. 8 HRs in 16 IPs a .389 BABIP. Those aren't stats that will continue to be that good. Not saying to start him, but just putting perspective on the situation.

Impressive performance thus far. Gearing up for the 2nd half Cy Young push.

Lolz. But seriously, he's been excellent tonight. A few nice plays behind him but no real hard contact and the Angels have looked of balance, which is nice considering they seemed pretty comfortable last night v Griffen. Now if the A's can just score some runs...

....and cue the HR. haha! Oh Dan. I'm sure the ball was carrying.

Edited by mcbane

Even with the Callaspo HR in the 7th, I'm thrilled with this start. The Angels have underperformed this season, but it's a lineup full of guys who should be good hitters (and a couple who actually have been this year) and he held his own. Something to build on.

His upcoming schedule isn't isn't great. LAA, TOR, @CIN then @TOR, CLE, @BAL. An offense he just faced 4 days ago plus two offenses capable of playing pinball with any given pitcher and 2 solid offenses. If he started next series he would've faced HOU twice plus SEA. Thanks Melvin.

However, he's been pitching so well and is probably better than anyone on most waiver wires or even most teams' worst SP, and pitches in one of the best pitcher's parks. My worst pitcher is W. Chen and if everything was equal would choose Straily but Chen has a cake schedule. Still, my finger is on the trigger, even in a redraft league. Straily's recent performance and potential are hard to ignore.

Edited by Bud C. Lick Lite

Its baseball. He could face the Astros or Marlins and get beat. Look at Verlander getting smoked by the Royals Saturday. Ever think Hamels would be 4-12 or whatever his record is? Plus if a pitcher is going to show his worth he has to beat the good teams as well as the bad teams. He won't always match up against the other teams ace. If you have confidence enough to draft him or pick him up you roll with him. Not every league has the option of streaming. Two of mine don't and even if they did I would send him out there.

Its baseball. He could face the Astros or Marlins and get beat. Look at Verlander getting smoked by the Royals Saturday. Ever think Hamels would be 4-12 or whatever his record is? Plus if a pitcher is going to show his worth he has to beat the good teams as well as the bad teams. He won't always match up against the other teams ace. If you have confidence enough to draft him or pick him up you roll with him. Not every league has the option of streaming. Two of mine don't and even if they did I would send him out there.

All true. Streaming is really hard to do correctly, if there's even a correct way of doing it, and more often than not you get burnt. Which is why when I pick up a starter for the most part he starts, save if he's doing poorly and will pitch in Fenway or Rangers Ballpark and those teams are hitting well.

But with Straily what I like less than the teams and matchups are that he's going to face teams that he just faced a few days ago... twice. In particular that second start @TOR, if I owned I would probably bench unless he was lights out in his first start. Also, Straily is, I believe, an extreme flyball pitcher (I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected if I'm wrong) and those starts in @CIN, @BAL and @TOR would have have me nervous about running him out there.

He will take trips to Det Balt Tor and Cincy in August. We will see if hes arrived

He will take trips to Det Balt Tor and Cincy in August. We will see if hes arrived

This is exactly what I'm looking at. Don't really need him on my team right now. But more looking towards what he can do next year if I was to get him on my team. He has showed the ability to pitch well at times. If he can take strides against those teams and in those parks(ie:limiting the long ball). I'm more of a believer in him going into next year.

If Straily can be effective tonight it will be a huge testament to how far he's come along as a MLB pitcher.

At least one more time through the heart of the lineup and he's had no luck with Pujols. I'm a bit nervous.

If Straily can be effective tonight it will be a huge testament to how far he's come along as a MLB pitcher.

And if he can't be effective tonight? What does that mean?