PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

Cy Young hopes take a step back on this evening...

If Straily can be effective tonight it will be a huge testament to how far he's come along as a MLB pitcher.

And if he can't be effective tonight? What does that mean?

Eh, why bother, he's not going to respond except "guys guys...whoa, hold on, he got unlucky. This was the second time he's faced the Angels in a week, yadda yadda". Yes, he'll actually say "yadda yadda".

It's just the reality of Straily. He isn't as good as he looked the last couple of starts and he isn't as bad as he looked here. He's just susceptible to these types of outings. He has the ability/acumen to be a good pitcher but just doesn't posses the stuff to mitigate when it isn't going well, etc etc. I personally don't roster him because I have zero clue what you'll get from start to start, and I don't like that feeling.

• Like 1

If Straily can be effective tonight it will be a huge testament to how far he's come along as a MLB pitcher.

Eh, why bother, he's not going to respond except "guys guys...whoa, hold on, he got unlucky. This was the second time he's faced the Angels in a week, yadda yadda". Yes, he'll actually say "yadda yadda".

It's just the reality of Straily. He isn't as good as he looked the last couple of starts and he isn't as bad as he looked here. He's just susceptible to these types of outings. He has the ability/acumen to be a good pitcher but just doesn't posses the stuff to mitigate when it isn't going well, etc etc. I personally don't roster him because I have zero clue what you'll get from start to start, and I don't like that feeling.

Agreed, he's a solid 4th or 5th MLB SP type and on your roster he should, on most teams, be the last SP and the first one you should drop if a hot SP prospect get called up. He's unowned in my not deep but not too shallow AL-only league.

2012 was a great story but it has to be concerning that he wasn't even one of the top 30 prospects in the Oaklaand A's system prior to that season. I'm going to stay away from him for now, those two starts against TOR as well as @CIN and @ BAL are matchups that aren't friendly to a flyball pitcher like him.

*sigh*....this about as good an explanation as there is when it comes to Straily. I don't like the feeling either and I suck at the guessing game. Sat him last week, and started him this week. Ooof!

What do you mean you don't know what you'll get from him start to start? That logic could be applied to many pitchers, especially young pitchers.

I am the biggest Straily fan on these boards and I had enough sense to bench him against a powerhouse who have owned him through his short MLB career. A power house offense that Straily has seen far too often, an offsense he just saw his last start.

Until the 5th inning Straily pitched well. You can only see a team so much before they get you like that. Especially seeing them that much in a short period of time.

Since he wasn't effective I wouldn't really hold it against him. As odds were he wasn't going to have a good start seeing top offense that has owned him in the past two starts in a row.

Call me a fan boy but Straily against Toronto next week is a no doubt start for me.

7ip 2er 4k the 1st time @ angels isnt owned in my book, sure they got 8 hits on him but owned? not so much

Edited by JoeSas

I'm not as big a fan of Straily as Foul Line, but I think there is something to be said of him facing Anaheim twice in such a short span. Still not picking him up but not taking him off my watch list.

• Like 1

7ip 2er 4k the 1st time @ angels isnt owned in my book, sure they got 8 hits on him but owned? not so much

LAA have 101 abs vs Straily, hitting .307, 5hrs. they kinda do own him

i was replying to :

Since he wasn't effective I wouldn't really hold it against him. As odds were he wasn't going to have a good start seeing top offense that has owned him in the past two starts in a row.

Call me a fan boy but Straily against Toronto next week is a no doubt start for me.

Well your book has a narrow scope to it.

Please refer to his career numbers. Heck just look at April 29th.

Straily has 23 major league career starts.... 5 have been against LAA. That is an unfair frequency to see a power house lineup. Especially for a rookie.

Straily has 23 major league career starts.... 5 have been against LAA. That is an unfair frequency to see a power house lineup. Especially for a rookie.

i was replying to your own statement .....dunno what the problem is

What do you mean you don't know what you'll get from him start to start? That logic could be applied to many pitchers, especially young pitchers.

I am the biggest Straily fan on these boards and I had enough sense to bench him against a powerhouse who have owned him through his short MLB career. A power house offense that Straily has seen far too often, an offsense he just saw his last start.

Until the 5th inning Straily pitched well. You can only see a team so much before they get you like that. Especially seeing them that much in a short period of time.

Well if Straily plans to have a long MLB career he better get used to teams seeing him.

I'm of the opinion that he needs pin point fastball command day in and day out or he's liable to be destroyed at any given time. He just walks too thin a line, with his stuff, for me to put a lot of faith into.

i was replying to your own statement .....dunno what the problem is

You mentioned one start as if it encompassed the 3 other times Straily did not pitch well against LAA.

last post on this matter for me, but you mentioned the two starts not me.......

Well if Straily plans to have a long MLB career he better get used to teams seeing him.

I'm of the opinion that he needs pin point fastball command day in and day out or he's liable to be destroyed at any given time. He just walks too thin a line, with his stuff, for me to put a lot of faith into.

For sure. But for a rookie to have 23 starts and 5 against the same team and against the type of lineup LAA has is a bit of a bad break. Yes you see your divisional rivals but generally how it works is.

A pitcher will start 33 - 34 games over the course of a full season. Those guys will catch divisional rivals 3 times on average. Maybe 1 team they will pitch too 4 times.

Straily has had to pitch to the LA Angles 5 times in 23 starts. Most recently in back to back starts. That is a bad break, if he had a more favorable schedule to start his MLB career his numbers could be dominate. If not dominate certainly better than they currently are.

last post on this matter for me, but you mentioned the two starts not me.......

Straily pitched against LAA two starts in a row. Which is a bad sign for any pitcher as now said pitcher's arsenal and tendencies are fresh in the hitters head.

Straily has been owned by LAA over the course of his young career. They have seen him at an extremely frequent rate (as I illustarted in my post above.) Seen 4 times in 22 starts (now 5 times in 23 starts).

Yes Straily pitched well in the first of the back to back starts against LAA. Which was very encouraging, but even factoring that start into his career numbers against LAA his numbers were still very bad against The Angels. Make sense?

yes it does, i agree 100%........for the record i wasnt trying to argue any of what you just posted

For sure. But for a rookie to have 23 starts and 5 against the same team and against the type of lineup LAA has is a bit of a bad break. Yes you see your divisional rivals but generally how it works is.

A pitcher will start 33 - 34 games over the course of a full season. Those guys will catch divisional rivals 3 times on average. Maybe 1 team they will pitch too 4 times.

Straily has had to pitch to the LA Angles 5 times in 23 starts. Most recently in back to back starts.

Just to further add to something like this. Take a look at a big time break out rookie pitcher like Shelby Miller. Who I love so don't take this the wrong way.

Shelby Miller has 18 starts this season he has faced 4 teams twice. PIT, MIL, NYM, and SF.

Dan Straily in 16 starts this season has faced only 4 times ONCE and 5 teams multiple times.

TEX x 3 (back to back starts)

LAA x 3

CHW x 2 (back to back starts)

NYY x 2

SEA x 2

Now I am by no means saying Straily is better than Shelby Miller so don't get that twisted. I am just trying to illustarte the effect that a strong schedule can have on a player's performance. Ever wonder why that one player just had that one awesome year out of nowhere? A lot of times a favorable schedule gets over looked.

• Like 1

Yeah, yeah. Seeing them in such short time yadda yadda. I think I was pretty clear, he's a back end starter and he's as likely to get bombed as he is to pitch well, and unless it's the Astros I'm not playing that guessing game.

Lolz. So if he pitches well he's turning a corner and if he doesn't I wouldn't read too much into it. Sure.

mcbane he is turning the corner.

If Straily dominated which let's face it he was close to doing so.

Unlike most people who post on here. I actually watched the game. He had the wheels fall off in the 5th seeing the heart of the lineup after a long lay over as The A's had a lot of base runners on the inning before.

Sure you can call them excuses. I call it reasoning. That's the difference between the two of us. No Champions don't make excuses. But they do find reasoning and solutions. Straily is a great talent and I still believe will have a great 2nd half.

Back to how you and just about everyone else on here bashed his change up. Go watch last nights game (a game where Straily got "bombed") and look how bad he made Mike Trout look on the change up on quite a few occasions. We are talking an elite hitter just looking down right dumb on the pitch that was you all argued wasn't MLB ready.

Go watch the 5th inning of the game. Straily should have had Albert Pujols out twice. He fouls one back that makes it into the first row behind home plate, Norris was on it. Then he weakly hits a top spinning seeing eye (play could have been made) just between Rosales and Donaldson.

If Straily gets Albert he may just pitch 7 and dominate yet again. This kid is prime.

mcbane he is turning the corner.

If Straily dominated which let's face it he was close to doing so.

Unlike most people who post on here. I actually watched the game. He had the wheels fall off in the 5th seeing the heart of the lineup after a long lay over as The A's had a lot of base runners on the inning before.

Sure you can call them excuses. I call it reasoning. That's the difference between the two of us. No Champions don't make excuses. But they do find reasoning and solutions. Straily is a great talent and I still believe will have a great 2nd half.

Back to how you and just about everyone else on here bashed his change up. Go watch last nights game (a game where Straily got "bombed") and look how bad he made Mike Trout look on the change up on quite a few occasions. We are talking an elite hitter just looking down right dumb on the pitch that was you all argued wasn't MLB ready.

I live in the Bay Area and I'm an A's fan, I saw the game. There's no difference between Straily now and Straily then. He pitched well in portions of the game, and pitched poorly in others. He's an ok pitcher.

"Champions don't make excuses"? What the.... ? That might be the best quote ever. But sure, whatever you want to believe.