PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

Since when was griffins spot set in stone? He was very lucky last year and straily is the better pitcher

How is Straily the better pitcher? He allowed 11 HRs in 39 IP last year. Griffin allowed 10 in 82 IP. Griffin has done nothing to put his spot in jeopardy. He was very good last year, he had a solid 1st start this year and his team got the win, he would have to have a good stretch of bad starts before he was a candidate to lose his job.

And if you want to argue luck, Straily was way more lucky in his small sample size than Griffin. He had a .225 BABIP. So when the scuds weren`t going over the fence at ridiculous rates, he was getting lucky with balls in play and had a nice 91% LOB% to put his FIP at 6.48 and xFIP at 5.30.

His minor league numbers are superior to griffins plus from watching them both pitch straily clearly has the better stuff. Aj is a step up on him right now but his rotation spot is certainly not set in stone. I see straily eventually beating him out as the A's are too smart to leave him in the minors. Do you honestly think griffins ceiling is higher than straily?

Since when was griffins spot set in stone? He was very lucky last year and straily is the better pitcher

How is Straily the better pitcher? He allowed 11 HRs in 39 IP last year. Griffin allowed 10 in 82 IP. Griffin has done nothing to put his spot in jeopardy. He was very good last year, he had a solid 1st start this year and his team got the win, he would have to have a good stretch of bad starts before he was a candidate to lose his job.

And if you want to argue luck, Straily was way more lucky in his small sample size than Griffin. He had a .225 BABIP. So when the scuds weren`t going over the fence at ridiculous rates, he was getting lucky with balls in play and had a nice 91% LOB% to put his FIP at 6.48 and xFIP at 5.30.

His minor league numbers are superior to griffins plus from watching them both pitch straily clearly has the better stuff. Aj is a step up on him right now but his rotation spot is certainly not set in stone. I see straily eventually beating him out as the A's are too smart to leave him in the minors. Do you honestly think griffins ceiling is higher than straily?

I like Griffin`s curveball a lot. I have to watch Straily pitch more before I give a full evaluation on him. I saw him pitch a few times last year and was really unimpressed but that is just a small sample size. I am going to watch him today, but Houston is not a great test. I am sure he will get another shot down the line, but I think his best chance at a spot is through injury or suspension (Colon probably was juicing in the offseason).

If you can't start this guy against Houston then he doesn't belong with the big club

For who, there is no one even close to losing a rotation spot:

Anderson - no

Parker - no

Milone - no

Griffin - no

Colon - no

There is no imminent vacancy unless someone gets hurt.

Colon could easily lose a spot. He's at that break down age and already coming off of an injury to start the season.

Griffin coming into his sophomore season is not a dominating force by any means. He could easily regress hard enough to open a spot for Straily if Colon does in fact hold up.

Bret Anderson, he already tweaked his neck late into spring training. Sure he hasn't missed a start from it, but that's not a good sign to start a season. When is this guy ever healthy? History tells us he is good for a little over 150 innings so he's likely to miss a few starts.

So it's not like he's some scrub trying to weasel his way into a rock solid rotation. This rotation has plenty of question marks whether it's where Colon's skill level stands at 40+ off of an injury, to Milone's sophomore season, to Brett Anderson's inevitable trip to the DL. There are plenty of likely paths into the bigs.

I honestly am certain that Straily is a more talented pitcher than all 3 of those guys to boot.

Yes I think Parker is quickly approaching elite pitching status and Milone is solid and these guys aren't going anywhere. Straily's top end upside is easily better than Milone's. Hell I'll even say his top end upside is higher than Parker's.

You think Straily is more talented than Brett Anderson? And his upside is higher then Parker, a former 9th overall pick who put up a 3.47 ERA his rookie season?

Unlike FearTheBeard you give no evidence to back up any of these assertions so its hard to really take any of these as anything more than an arbitrary opinion.

• Like 1

Anderson - no

Parker - no

Milone - no

Griffin - no

Colon - no

Colon could easily lose a spot. He's at that break down age and already coming off of an injury to start the season.

Griffin coming into his sophomore season is not a dominating force by any means. He could easily regress hard enough to open a spot for Straily if Colon does in fact hold up.

Bret Anderson, he already tweaked his neck late into spring training. Sure he hasn't missed a start from it, but that's not a good sign to start a season. When is this guy ever healthy? History tells us he is good for a little over 150 innings so he's likely to miss a few starts.

So it's not like he's some scrub trying to weasel his way into a rock solid rotation. This rotation has plenty of question marks whether it's where Colon's skill level stands at 40+ off of an injury, to Milone's sophomore season, to Brett Anderson's inevitable trip to the DL. There are plenty of likely paths into the bigs.

I honestly am certain that Straily is a more talented pitcher than all 3 of those guys to boot.

Yes I think Parker is quickly approaching elite pitching status and Milone is solid and these guys aren't going anywhere. Straily's top end upside is easily better than Milone's. Hell I'll even say his top end upside is higher than Parker's.

Isn't Colon coming off suspension?

Either way. This is a great spot start. He was a huge K guy in the minors. Houston is 8 K's waiting to happen every night.

Straily has sucked pretty bad, but he should at least be able to put up a QS tonight

Either way. This is a great spot start. He was a huge K guy in the minors. Houston is 8 K's waiting to happen every night.

Straily has sucked pretty bad, but he should at least be able to put up a QS tonight

Yes he's off a suspension for PEDs you're right. But that's still bad as where will he stand without his PEDs?

Jarrod Parker is the best pitcher in Oakland right now. But I say Straily has more upside because he has way more strikeout potential. Trust me I love Jarrod Parker I actually work with the scout who helped Arizona originally draft and sign him. Chances are Parker is the better player and will have a better career. But I bet you that Straily's best 2 years are better than Parker's best two years by the end of their careers.

Brett Anderson, he has very little strikeout potential and you can't even count on 30 starts out of him in a season. Since 2010 innings pitched for Anderson 112.33, 83.33, and 35 innings.

Yes he's off a suspension for PEDs you're right. But that's still bad as where will he stand without his PEDs?

Jarrod Parker is the best pitcher in Oakland right now. But I say Straily has more upside because he has way more strikeout potential. Trust me I love Jarrod Parker I actually work with the scout who helped Arizona originally draft and sign him. Chances are Parker is the better player and will have a better career. But I bet you that Straily's best 2 years are better than Parker's best two years by the end of their careers.

Brett Anderson, he has very little strikeout potential and you can't even count on 30 starts out of him in a season. Since 2010 innings pitched for Anderson 112.33, 83.33, and 35 innings.

I have to side with FearTheBeard and CMilne on this one, I think Straily has limited upside and caps out at a #3 at best.

This is for you:

http://www.parlezsport.com/cal/fan.club.aspx/Daniel_Straily

Anderson - no

Parker - no

Milone - no

Griffin - no

Colon - no

Anderson - no

Parker - no

Milone - no

Griffin - no

Colon - no

I am as big a Dan Straily fan as there is on this board, but but saying that he's more "talented" than Brett Anderson is completely off the reservation.

He's not. On really any measure.

• Like 1

lol this is seriously just not even fair. He just gave up a hit to Altuve, falls behind Wallace 3-0. Gets over a 3-0 fastball. Wallace swings and misses at ball 4. 3-2. Wallace swings and misses at ball 4. Strikeout number 7 in 3 innings.

FTB noted how you can get away with his repetoir and strike people out against minor league hitters, well, he's doing that again tonight, it just happens to be in a major league stadium.

lol notice no one on the astros has any dirt on their uniforms, those new jerseys look fantastic, never having to run the bases or slide really helps the colors stay crisp, it's like I've got HD tv all of a sudden

this game just feels like a tease, hate that Colon taking Strailly's spot away so much

How does Xavier Cedeno, a major league reliever, come in and walk 3 batters and give up a single!?

How does Xavier Cedeno, a major league reliever, come in and walk 3 batters and give up a single!?

Because he would probably be in double A if he were on any other team

There will be some wonderful pitching stat lines all year against the K-stros

Edited by Chubbles

I think a batting tee would strike out 5 Astros

• Like 5

are they really gonna send him down b/c of bartolo?? or move him to the pen? Either way, I mean really?? one of those is going to happen?? b/c of bartolo??

His fastball had plenty of movement tonight. I didn't know much about him other than his K rate so I came here only to find a wealth of good info.

Nothing scares me more than hearing "straight fastball" so I was pleased to see it with some snap at the end. I liked what I saw, the park is a plus, and I trust Oak. when it comes to pitching so if he wins the spot ill hold him.

Definitely not a guy ill hold if he's sent back down.

His fastball had plenty of movement tonight. I didn't know much about him other than his K rate so I came here only to find a wealth of good info.

Nothing scares me more than hearing "straight fastball" so I was pleased to see it with some snap at the end. I liked what I saw, the park is a plus, and I trust Oak. when it comes to pitching so if he wins the spot ill hold him.

Definitely not a guy ill hold if he's sent back down.

You have to hold him at least until you see Colon pitch. If Colon gets blown up Straily is a hold. If Colon pitches fine then by all means drop him, I won't be as my leagues would snipe him off waivers.

are they really gonna send him down b/c of bartolo?? or move him to the pen? Either way, I mean really?? one of those is going to happen?? b/c of bartolo??

Colon was pretty good last year. Straily is going to get into the rotation one way or another this year. Just a matter of waiting for injury and/or someone (Colon) to fail.

To further add to what Straily did tonight as I can see a lot of people discounting it since it was against The Astros.

Straily 6.67 IP, 5 H, 0 BB, 11 K

Stros Pen: 2.33 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 2 K (and one K was called third on a bad call).

Fartolo in Straily down

Athletics reinstated RHP Bartolo Colon from the suspended list.

Colon will make his first start Saturday after serving the final five games on his 2012 PED suspension. With Dan Straily in the minors, Colon will need to pitch well in order to keep his rotation spot. The Athletics are hoping to get another solid year from Colon after giving him a one-year, $3 million deal this offseason.

Colon should be a middle reliever....get Straily in the rotation!

Wait until Colon gets blown up later this week. It'll probably take back to back bad starts out of Colon for this to happen after he was solid in his first one.

Edited by PRoSPx