PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

Colon should be a middle reliever....get Straily in the rotation!

Wait until Colon gets blown up later this week. It'll probably take back to back bad starts out of Colon for this to happen after he was solid in his first one.

His line was solid, but in perspective a solid outing against the astros is actually a bad start. After almost every starter against houston sets career highs in K's, colon gets 2. He's not really a strikeout pitcher, but 2 against houston is extremely low even for him.

If colon pitches like this against a major league team he'll get pounded and then it's straily time.

How does this Shrek looking cheat take Straily's spot? Didn't Straily lead the minor leagues with 190 KO? Go with the upside than that fat Shrek looking retread.

How does this Shrek looking cheat take Straily's spot? Didn't Straily lead the minor leagues with 190 KO? Go with the upside than that fat Shrek looking retread.

Guy was damned solid last year. If he can repeat those numbers he's a huge asset for a major league team. Doesn't matter how fat he is or what he looks like. 150+ innings of 4ish era is a massive help to a team trying to get back to the playoffs.

He didn't strike out many Astros but that's no longer his style. He got about 5% swings and misses last year. That is laughably low. He just pumps his 2 seamer in there pitch after pitch and garners lots of weak contact.

Somebody will get hurt, suck and/or traded. Straily's time is coming. But some of you need to take a step back from fantasy baseball and look at this from a real life pov.

• Like 2

AR is right. They signed him to a one yr 3m contract. I expect Fartolo to be solid. He will likely be traded by the deadline. Thats what Beane does, acquire assets

Guy was damned solid last year. If he can repeat those numbers he's a huge asset for a major league team. Doesn't matter how fat he is or what he looks like. 150+ innings of 4ish era is a massive help to a team trying to get back to the playoffs.

He didn't strike out many Astros but that's no longer his style. He got about 5% swings and misses last year. That is laughably low. He just pumps his 2 seamer in there pitch after pitch and garners lots of weak contact.

Somebody will get hurt, suck and/or traded. Straily's time is coming. But some of you need to take a step back from fantasy baseball and look at this from a real life pov.

As usual, AnonymousRob is in tune with everything A`s. Bartolo Colon was REALLY good last season from a real life perspective. He averaged 6.1 IP per start. That means he pitched in the 7th inning on average in most of his starts. That is a great ratio and really shortens up the game for the bullpen. All he does is throw strikes and work deep into games. That is what most teams want from there number 5 starter.

Edited by Cmilne23

colon's odds of repeating last year's results aren't that good at all. yeah it was is 1st start, but giving up 3 to the astros with low strikeouts even for his standards could easily be the start of a bad year for him.

the only other guy houston has hit is harrison who looked equally bad in his second start against an actual offense. i can see colon doing the same against detroit next week. could go downhill very quickly.

colon's odds of repeating last year's results aren't that good at all. yeah it was is 1st start, but giving up 3 to the astros with low strikeouts even for his standards could easily be the start of a bad year for him.

the only other guy houston has hit is harrison who looked equally bad in his second start against an actual offense. i can see colon doing the same against detroit next week. could go downhill very quickly.

He was good in 2011, he was good in 2012. At what point do people start to realize he completely rediscovered himself as a pitcher and is now a very solid major league 5 starter now.

He was good in 2011, he was good in 2012. At what point do people start to realize he completely rediscovered himself as a pitcher and is now a very solid major league 5 starter now.

NEVER!!!

seriously though, i always had a suspicion that he was on something and then he gets busted. you'd think that the suspension would scare him away from using it in the future, and he could easily go back to 06-09 self or injuries could get him. a 37 year coming off multiple bad years as well as a year off, suddenly pitching well again and gets busted for PED's. I'd say there's a pretty good chance last year was the final successful year of his career.

alright, now i'm done hijacking this thread. sorry

Yeah lets see how damn solid he will be now that Shrek is off the juice!

Do people think Braun has stopped juicing? These guys likely move onto drugs that are harder to detect. They don't just stop taking them altogether.

With Cingrani getting the call tomorrow Straily in my opinoin becomes the best minor league pitching stashee.

If you missed the boat with Cingrani don't with Straily.

I know he doesn't have a spot right now but with injury prone Brett Anderson and 40 year old Bartolo Colon one of them is likely to.get injured. As well.as with how young Parker, Milone, and A.J. Griffin you never know when one of them are in for an adjustment period.

I think he's up by the 2nd week in May and makes a run for rookie of the year.

With Cingrani getting the call tomorrow Straily in my opinoin becomes the best minor league pitching stashee.

If you missed the boat with Cingrani don't with Straily.

I know he doesn't have a spot right now but with injury prone Brett Anderson and 40 year old Bartolo Colon one of them is likely to.get injured. As well.as with how young Parker, Milone, and A.J. Griffin you never know when one of them are in for an adjustment period.

I think he's up by the 2nd week in May and makes a run for rookie of the year.

Right there with ya. Holding Straily (and Bundy for future).

Between the PCL and the MLB Straily's numbers so far look like

19.33 innings, 1.86 ERA, 0.72 WHIP, 12.6 K/9

Just no room in that rotation unless they sump Colon

Between Colon and Anderson alone getting injured that should open up 100+ innings for Straily by itself.Let alone if another one of Oakland's young guns goes down or under performs.Once Straily comes up I see him becoming a staple in the rotation.

Anderson sprained ankle, left start today. Time for a call up?

I would say the odds are pretty good.

matchups wouldnt be favorable andersons next 3 starts @ Bos, LAA, @NYY

young pitchers generally have the advantage the 1st time they face lineups. I grabbed him and would trot him out against anyone

Straily should be owned in all leagues. Do yourself the favor and pick him up. He was owned in 7% of Yahoo! leagues last night.

To further illustrate how unlucky Dan Straily was last year with his HR rate.

The average amount of runs scored in the games that Dan Straily pitched (both team totals) was 10.5, if you know anything about sports capping answer me this. How often do you catch a 10.5 O/U, very rarely!! Also this wasn't askwed by a one time 22 run game. Only 1 of his starts went under 9 runs in 2012.

Yet this rookie himself maintained a 3.89 ERA. That is remarkable!!

You are ignoring my point. Show me what he has in his arsenal that can get left handed batters out? Specifically to generate swings and misses? His change up was extremely poor last season. His fastball was extremely hittable at 91 MPH. What does he have that will be able to combat left handed hitters from destroying him? I didn't see anything last season. Maybe it was small sample size, maybe nerves, but I am extremely skeptical of him being anything more than a 4-5 starter at the major league level. Nothing shows me he is going to be a star. I think you are putting way too much stock into his 2012 minor league stats. That is basically what you are judging all your opinions off of. Because prior to that he has pretty mediocre in the minors for 3 straight years.