Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

just look at Brett Anderson

Hey, he's working on it!

Before:

628x471.jpg

After:

Athletics%20Rays%20Baseball.JPEG-08188.jpg

• Like 1

You need to calm the f*** down. I made zero personal attacks on you. I said you need to have the courage of your conviction. That is being brave enough to stand up for what you believe in. You have danced around my question numerous times and given zero answers to what he has in his arsenal to get left handed batters out. All you said was his change up is good, you are wrong. The pitch got absolutely destroyed by left handed batters last season when he was up at the big leagues. It was rated as a -2.2 on the fangraphs scale because it generated zero swings and misses and almsot everytime he threw it, it got crushed. So maybe that is small sample size fluke, I am not sure but that is all we have to go off of right now. So you are going to have to articulate to me why we should believe he was something in his arsenal that can get left handed batters out at an above average clip. That is all I am asking you to explain to us. I don't make personal attacks on posters, I am here to talk baseball. So I would appreciate it if you would not go down that avenue with me.

And this is about YOU. "You" are the one who told this board he is a future Cy Young contender. So I am challenging you to back it up. If all you have is he was great in the minors in 2012 then lets cut our losses and say agree to disagree and let the results play out.

It was a personal attack and I think I handled it appropriately. Cause it really take so much courage and conviction to post fairly anonymously on a message board.

Obviously fangraphs numbers are wrong. I am a huge supporter in fangraphs and love the site as much as the next fantasy nut. But they got it wrong in this case.

Yes very small sample size and as I have said earlier Dan Straily was very unlucky last year with the HR rate. Extremely unlucky. Even factoring that his OPS against last year (vs lefties) was .768, slightly above league average OPS. Which amazes me. Imagine if the ball wasn't carrying so hard in almost all of his starts last year and the a few of those balls didn't leave the park. His OPS against lefties would have been close to dominate.

Lol. Fangraphs got their numbers wrong. Oh, obviously.

Again, Straily had a 90% strand rate, a 5.60 xFIP, and gives up a huge amount of fly balls. He was nowhere near dominant.

• Like 1

You need to calm the f*** down. I made zero personal attacks on you. I said you need to have the courage of your conviction. That is being brave enough to stand up for what you believe in. You have danced around my question numerous times and given zero answers to what he has in his arsenal to get left handed batters out. All you said was his change up is good, you are wrong. The pitch got absolutely destroyed by left handed batters last season when he was up at the big leagues. It was rated as a -2.2 on the fangraphs scale because it generated zero swings and misses and almsot everytime he threw it, it got crushed. So maybe that is small sample size fluke, I am not sure but that is all we have to go off of right now. So you are going to have to articulate to me why we should believe he was something in his arsenal that can get left handed batters out at an above average clip. That is all I am asking you to explain to us. I don't make personal attacks on posters, I am here to talk baseball. So I would appreciate it if you would not go down that avenue with me.

And this is about YOU. "You" are the one who told this board he is a future Cy Young contender. So I am challenging you to back it up. If all you have is he was great in the minors in 2012 then lets cut our losses and say agree to disagree and let the results play out.

It was a personal attack and I think I handled it appropriately. Cause it really take so much courage and conviction to post fairly anonymously on a message board.

Obviously fangraphs numbers are wrong. I am a huge supporter in fangraphs and love the site as much as the next fantasy nut. But they got it wrong in this case.

Yes very small sample size and as I have said earlier Dan Straily was very unlucky last year with the HR rate. Extremely unlucky. Even factoring that his OPS against last year (vs lefties) was .768, slightly above league average OPS. Which amazes me. Imagine if the ball wasn't carrying so hard in almost all of his starts last year and the a few of those balls didn't leave the park. His OPS against lefties would have been close to dominate.

Where you getting your data from? He had a 1.047 OPS against lefties last season................

Off of Yahoo. It was career, sorry i was slightly off by a start. My logic still holds true though.

They are not wrong. They value its pitch based on the result of it. His change up when thrown last year generated almost no swings and misses, and when put into play it was for a hit. That is how pitch ratings get factored. I have data to back up my point. You are just blindly saying they got it wrong in this case. How did they get it wrong? Explain to us how they got it wrong. You can't keep making blanket statements like that and expect to get the benefit of the doubt in this debate.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

Where you getting your data from? He had a 1.047 OPS against lefties last season................

Off of Yahoo. It was career, sorry i was slightly off by a start. My logic still holds true though.

Considering he have up 7 of his 11 HR's vs lefties (either in 30+ innings is a lot), a vast majority of his walks vs lefties and the only thing driving down the ops was a low avg, and considering his babip, strand rate, and other graded metrics vs lefties I would say no, no your logic doesn't hold up.

• Like 1

I think any young pitcher with good K/BB numbers coupled with High 90s fastball and decent breaking stuff is worth looking at.

Couple that with an elite minor league K/9, an elite BAA, and you really do have a guy that should have success in the bigs. Even last year he still struck out about 8 per 9 though he walked 3 per 9 (1 more than his minor league total).

Is it that absurd to think he can improve on that and maybe approve 9 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9? Wouldn't require he do much really.

I think any young pitcher with good K/BB numbers coupled with High 90s fastball and decent breaking stuff is worth looking at.

Couple that with an elite minor league K/9, an elite BAA, and you really do have a guy that should have success in the bigs. Even last year he still struck out about 8 per 9 though he walked 3 per 9 (1 more than his minor league total).

Is it that absurd to think he can improve on that and maybe approve 9 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9? Wouldn't require he do much really.

Is 91 MPH the new high 90's?

I don't think its absurd at all. I would imagine his k rate "should" stay in the 8's, and his walks should go down somewhat (i wouldnt say minor league levels, major leaguers have seen stuff like his before and without that elite velocity i dont think it happens). I would say he doesn't really have "high" 90's velocity, by it's more than enough to be successful. I could see Straily being sort of Jekyll and Hyde like Javier Vazquez was for a few years there towards the end. Totally rosterable, and could either K twelve, or get blown up. I'm an A's fan, so I have a great interest in how Straily does, and the main thing that scares me is his penchant for giving up FB's with hard contact, and his future injury concerns. I think he could be a good #3 starter.

I rostered him for awhile in my keeper, but eventually cut bait trading for Detwiler and picking up Jose Fernandez who have more MLB experience/better stuff, and more upside, respectively. I think that's the other thing as well, you have to massage the usage of some of these rookies/young pitchers and I think you try for a lottery ticket, but it is a tad fatiguing to always be waiting for them to get seasoned and start consistently producing. That's why I cut out on Straily, I don't see the upside warranted in keeping him on my roster while he figures things out vs winning now with usable players. I would wait on a Fernandez, a Cole, a Bundy, but someone like Straily will be up and down and you have a higher likelyhood of requiring him as he's breaking out then you do having success keeping him the whole time (depending on league depth).

To be fair he topped out at 94.3 MPH (http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?playerid=9460&position=P) and in the minors during the summer he reportedly hit 96mph which started the hype about this guy improving his velocity into his 20s with his work ethic.

So 91-94 touching 96 is good enough.

Razz ball did a good job summarizing my concerns with him, though:

Another warning sign is his 9.2 swinging strike percentage. That is just about average. To give you an idea of some other pitchers with an average swinging strike percentage: Tommy Hanson, Wei-Yin Chen, Ivan Nova. It’s not the kiss of death. If you can get batters to swing outside of the strike zone, or nail lots of first pitch strikes…Well, he was about average in those respects too. He looks a lot more like a 7-ish K-rate guy than a 11+ K-rate guy he was in the minors.

It's his swinging strike percentage that makes me pause. But I'd like to see more of him in the majors before I attribute that to be an adequate sample.

To be fair he topped out at 94.3 MPH (http://www.fangraphs...9460&position=P) and in the minors during the summer he reportedly hit 96mph which started the hype about this guy improving his velocity into his 20s with his work ethic.

Another warning sign is his 9.2 swinging strike percentage. That is just about average. To give you an idea of some other pitchers with an average swinging strike percentage: Tommy Hanson, Wei-Yin Chen, Ivan Nova. It’s not the kiss of death. If you can get batters to swing outside of the strike zone, or nail lots of first pitch strikes…Well, he was about average in those respects too. He looks a lot more like a 7-ish K-rate guy than a 11+ K-rate guy he was in the minors.

It's his swinging strike percentage that makes me pause. But I'd like to see more of him in the majors before I attribute that to be an adequate sample.

He averaged 91.3 last year, and 91.1 this year in his MLB start. Ryu dials up to 92 routinely. But he averages 90.2 in his overall velocity. 91 is where he will sit on average. 1 out of every 7 to 10 fastballs will probably go over 94 MPH.

To be fair he topped out at 94.3 MPH (http://www.fangraphs...9460&position=P) and in the minors during the summer he reportedly hit 96mph which started the hype about this guy improving his velocity into his 20s with his work ethic.

He averaged 91.3 last year, and 91.1 this year in his MLB start. Ryu dials up to 92 routinely. But he averages 90.2 in his overall velocity. 91 is where he will sit on average. 1 out of every 7 to 10 fastballs will probably go over 94 MPH.

I think you're ignoring the fact that he can dial it up when he needs to strike someone out. Plenty of guys sit 91 and then dial it up for a K. Some would argue that's far more effective than a guy who consistently throws 95 but can't change speeds effectively.

I think you're ignoring the fact that he can dial it up when he needs to strike someone out. Plenty of guys sit 91 and then dial it up for a K. Some would argue that's far more effective than a guy who consistently throws 95 but can't change speeds effectively.

True. I guess I would have to see that in game action to start putting stock into that. But something to keep an eye on for when he comes back up.

True. I guess I would have to see that in game action to start putting stock into that. But something to keep an eye on for when he comes back up.

Yeah, agree with this. I've seen him hit 94 a very very few times in MLB games, mostly sits at 91, which is fine if it has more movement. If he can dial it up consistently as another look, I would think he could get that I rate up even higher.

Pure ignorance in this post. What a waste of 5

Mins ill never get back. Was hoping to see he got called up and had to sift thru complete garbage to find out absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

Mins ill never get back. Was hoping to see he got called up and had to sift thru complete garbage to find out absolutely nothing.

Come on, it wasn't a complete waste. You got to read all these professional scouts' evaluations of Dan Straily. You know, guys who coach high school baseball and therefore are qualified to judge whether he has the potential to be a major league ace or not.

So you would vote Ace then?

Judging by the height he wears his socks, I'd slot him somewhere between Koufax and Gooden in terms of ceiling, and Anthony Young in terms of floor. And I used to work at a shoe store, so I know what I'm talking about.

• Like 3

Judging by the height he wears his socks, I'd slot him somewhere between Koufax and Gooden in terms of ceiling, and Anthony Young in terms of floor. And I used to work at a shoe store, so I know what I'm talking about.

I don't see how that's relevant. Straily wears his pant legs down.

If you only use these threads to spot if a player gets called up or sent down wouldn't Twitter better suit your needs? No one is forcing you to read through opinions. You can find other places to get what you're looking for instead of insulting guys trying to provide info.

• Like 5

If you only use these threads to spot if a player gets called up or sent down wouldn't Twitter better suit your needs? No one is forcing you to read through opinions. You can find other places to get what you're looking for instead of insulting guys trying to provide info.

I don't tweet

i got no problems with opinions of value, projections, etc...

THats why i am here.

But personal attacks and arguing over if a guy in the minors is an ace or not is a joke

Edited by The Harsh
Removed offensive language.
  • Like 1

I don't tweet

THats why i am here.

But personal attacks and arguing over if a guy in the minors is an ace or not is a joke

So is this guy an Ace in the minors or not? I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

Edited by Sonny_D

I don't tweet

THats why i am here.

I quite liked the exchange.

I'm on the camp that doesn't see one iota of 'Ace' potential in Dan Straily. Can he be fantasy relevant pitching in the O.Co? Sure. Ace, sorry just don't see it.

• Like 1

I don't tweet

THats why i am here.

"Personal attacks" aside (i dont think it ever got that bad), that's sort of the entire point of these boards. I would probably call it an opinion of value. If we can't argue that then we're done here folks, shut it down.

Some people hate him, some people love him.

Anderson is feeling better so he probably won't come up but was held out of his AAA outing just in case.

--Gretznotes™

Edited by GretzGretzky
  • Like 2