Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baltimore_boy

Carl Crawford 2013 Outlook

349 posts in this topic

Ever since Crawford signed his big contract with the Red Sox, it's been all downhill for the talented lefty. He was starting to show signs of coming out of his 2 year slump before undergoing his TJ surgery in August. With a change of scenery, is it possible for the 31 year old former speedster to resurrect his career?

when is he supposed to be back? I know position players don't miss as much time as pitchers with TJ, but hard to believe he'll be back in the first month or two.

he really only had the 1 bad year. as you said, he was hitting last year before having surgery. presumably, he's been able to keep his legs in good shape and there shouldn't be any residual effects. Dodgers don't have a leadoff hitter so the opportunity is there.

when is he supposed to be back? I know position players don't miss as much time as pitchers with TJ, but hard to believe he'll be back in the first month or two.

he really only had the 1 bad year. as you said, he was hitting last year before having surgery. presumably, he's been able to keep his legs in good shape and there shouldn't be any residual effects. Dodgers don't have a leadoff hitter so the opportunity is there.

I don't think he'll miss much time unless he has a setback. By the time the season starts, he'll be around 7 months out of surgery. Hitters usually don't take as long to come back from it, so that may be enough time to get him back on the field on Opening Day.

Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said Monday that Carl Crawford (elbow) should be ready by Opening Day.

Crawford underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in late August. The recovery period for pitchers who undergo that procedure is around 12-15 months, but position players do not need as much time. Source: Bill Shaikin on Twitter Nov. 12 - 7:32 pm et

This was a few months ago. I'm expecting him to be ready in April some time.

definitely intriguing then. I suspect enough people have been burned by him that he might slip through the cracks.

He could have some value. Maybe getting traded will be a little bit of a wake up call to him. I mean he can't really get much worse fantasy wise then he has been the last two years.

2 people like this

His entire value depends on his wheels. I doubt he will show more power than he did in TB with the spacious parks in the NL West (SF, LA, SD). To be honest, I think Victorino puts up better numbers, and can be gotten later.

His entire value depends on his wheels. I doubt he will show more power than he did in TB with the spacious parks in the NL West (SF, LA, SD). To be honest, I think Victorino puts up better numbers, and can be gotten later.

You are probably right about Victornio. But Crawford just has far more upside. Which makes him the "sexier" pick. Therefore you'll have to take Crawford many rounds ahead of Victorino.

I think Crawford, Hanley will be somewhat symbolic of the Dodgers season. If this "Dream Team" massive amounts of money works and this team wins 100+ games I think it will be because of huge years out of Crawford, Hanley, A Gone, Kemp etc.

If the thing goes in the tank, its likely these guys not producing is the reason.

If you are buying on the Dodgers, I think you are buying on Crawford, if you think this thing is heading for epic disaster then you are probably not interested in him.

1 person likes this

I guess my biggest question regarding Crawford is where will he be hitting in the lineup? Roto guide seems to have him hitting 7th. I don't like him there at all. Kinda feel like he needs to hit either lead off or in the 2 hole to have a good amount of upside. Anyone have any updated information on this matter?

I guess my biggest question regarding Crawford is where will he be hitting in the lineup? Roto guide seems to have him hitting 7th. I don't like him there at all. Kinda feel like he needs to hit either lead off or in the 2 hole to have a good amount of upside. Anyone have any updated information on this matter?

I'm hoping it looks like this:

Ellis

Crawford

Gonzalez

Kemp

Hanley

Ethier

Cruz

Ellis

Pitcher

I haven't done many mock drafts yet but I wondering where his ADP is in 10 man leagues at the moment. I def see some value if he is in fact hitting in the top half of the order.

I haven't done many mock drafts yet but I wondering where his ADP is in 10 man leagues at the moment. I def see some value if he is in fact hitting in the top half of the order.

Don't know if this is typical or not but in my ten team draft he went 14-4, which I think is a great value if he stays healthy for the year. Also, we start 5 outfielders.

I think he is a great late round flier and he went in the 17th round (10 team 3 OF) in my leagues draft. He could provide some good value, as it seems like alot of people forgot about him, but that may change as all these experts hype up all their "sleepers".

I remember his first year after Boston, I wrote him several angry twitter rants. He was worthless. With a "new lease on life" however, and in a solid line-up, and in an effort to spite me, I imagine he'll have a nice bounce back year. Yup, rock solid analysis there.

Well... that didn't take long. Hopefully nothing serious, but hate to see these sorts of reports so early.

@kengurnick

Carl Crawford has forearm tightness in what appears to be a mild setback after elbow surgery.

https://twitter.com/...172772424077314

@truebluela

Carl Crawford has forearm tightness, will be held out of BP & throwing today. Mattingly called it more a pause than setback

I think Crawford, Hanley will be somewhat symbolic of the Dodgers season. If this "Dream Team" massive amounts of money works and this team wins 100+ games I think it will be because of huge years out of Crawford, Hanley, A Gone, Kemp etc.

If the thing goes in the tank, its likely these guys not producing is the reason.

If you are buying on the Dodgers, I think you are buying on Crawford, if you think this thing is heading for epic disaster then you are probably not interested in him.

I just saw this and had to comment.

Who would've guessed that if your 4 highest paid players completely tank, that the season will be a failure, and if they all play very well, the team will do well? Someone sign this guy up as a GM!

1 person likes this

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 1, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

I remember his first year after Boston, I wrote him several angry twitter rants. He was worthless. With a "new lease on life" however, and in a solid line-up, and in an effort to spite me, I imagine he'll have a nice bounce back year. Yup, rock solid analysis there.

Not only is angrily tweeting at athletes stupid and childlike, it's also just a little creepy...

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 1, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Not only is angrily tweeting at athletes stupid and childlike, it's also just a little creepy...

Not only is bashing half of the forum members who comment stupid and childlike, it's also just a little creepy...

2 people like this

Another update on Crawford from a Dodgers beat writer:

@kengurnick

Carl Crawford is down for a week after a setback with his repaired elbow. Don Mattingly said Opening Day is a "challenge."

Another update on Crawford from a Dodgers beat writer:

@kengurnick

Carl Crawford is down for a week after a setback with his repaired elbow. Don Mattingly said Opening Day is a "challenge."

not a great way to start the year at all.

He will probably come at an even cheaper price tag now.

He will probably come at an even cheaper price tag now.

I just remember me thinking the same thing last year with him and he was out till summer. I know it's a completely different injury and he most likely will be ready within two weeks of the season but I'm still cautious