Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChrisFarley

Brandon League 2013 Outlook

16 posts in this topic

Brandon League signed a 3 year deal with the Dodgers and was immediately tabbed as their closer, despite the presence of Kenley Jensen the K artist. The Dodgers have a great staff and lineup and the wins + save opportunities should be plentiful.

What kind of season do you expect/project from Brandon League?

If I had to take one, I would probably go Jensen because of the upside. One of the areas I look for in closers is K's. All closers can have bad outings which will inflate ERA and even WHIP for a while sometimes a long while so I usually look to what kind of K numbers are they going to give me. League is probably at or near the bottom in K per 9 of the potential 2013 closers.

Ya, the Ks are low considering he has a great fastball/splitter combo, something that has made Putz extremely successful.

Bump! Any new thoughts on League? He's been named Dodgers closer...can he keep the job all season?

1 person likes this

Bump! Any new thoughts on League? He's been named Dodgers closer...can he keep the job all season?

I extremely doubt it. Jansen is just so much of a superior talent that the Dodgers would be foolish to stick with League too long if Kenley is healthy.

I think they are playing it safe with Jansen's health by not putting him in many stressful situations. Jansen is so much better than League, so that is the only reason I can see them making this move.

Hasn't pitched all week... did i miss an injury?

I don't think there has been a save opp. And yesterday they were probably saving him in case there was an eventual save opp. But instead Belasario lost the game.

Hasn't pitched all week... did i miss an injury?

He was actually warming up there in the top of the 9th alongside Belasario. The announcer said that Belasario enters the game if it is still tied and if the Dodgers had taken the lead, then League would have been coming in.

Any other owners trying to dump this guy ASAP?

8.9% K% is way down from his 17.5% career average ... SwStr % is way down from his career average (6.6% vs. 10.2%) and as a result batters are making contact at a ridiculous rate - 86.7% overall vs his 78.3% career average (93.9% in the zone vs. his 89.4% career average, 66.7% out of the zone vs. 53.4% career average). For context, this Contact% is 6th-worst among RPs with >=10 IP, and his SwStr% ranks about 165th within the same pool.

The .237 BABIP has helped him (.284 career average BABIP) and fortunately he hasn't been walking guys (only 1 BB in 11 IP)...then again, of course you won't be walking guys when everyone is making contact.

As batters continue to make contact at a similar rate, you would expect that BABIP to rise and bad things to ensue. Yes, it's been a small sample size, but owners are already worried about having Jensen in the wings.

I'm targeting Niese/Bailey/Minor in an NL-only and hoping that their owners don't see the same stats.

finished! Another reminder to never pay for saves! ugghhh!,

They didn't even trust him to get the final out. Jansen came in and threw 4 pitches for the save. League is toast.

finished! Another reminder to never pay for saves! ugghhh!,

he was just about the cheapest closer going in drafts due to everyone knowing he would lose the job eventually. Only MarmLol and Veras went after him of opening day closers.

I agree though; never pay for saves!

Nice little 2-run homer to Helton tonight that cost Kershaw the win. He threw about six 94-mph fastballs in a row; seemed scared to throw anything else.

I don't own him, but it sure seems like he's a bad closer.