Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nycldn

How do you approach +/- ?

9 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to how you approach the category +/-

I once played in a league with a guy who used his D slots to emphasize +/- . I always looked for Ds who shot the puck and played on the PP. (I also look for forwards who shoot the puck) I used a lot of moves on Ds and never fared especially well in +/- and tended to end the year flat on this overall.

Do you make a conscious effort on +/- ? Would you take a forward who didn't shoot the puck but had a nice +/- last year? Or do you by chance view it as a volatile outcome and wait until during the season to (re)strategize around it?

Nah, it's a crapshoot at the draft table. I do take a look as the season goes on and can find a guy or two to pick up on WW if I feel I need it. If I'm middle of the road through the year in +/- I'll take it, but if I'm really sucking in that category then I'll go to the WW to see what's going on. I don't usually look for guys who have great +/-, but I do take note if a guy is on a bad team and will definitely hurt my +/-. But usually it all works out.

It is mostly a team stat. I dont sweat it out too much, if I am choosing between two equal players, I'll take the one with the better team.

I definitely pay attention to it, especially in roto. I don't want a -10 or lower on my team, unless he scores a ton of points. Yeah, it's a team stat but what does that matter? If I don't have solid D I may pick up one just to improve my +/-.

I don't approach it at all. I just take the best players available without considering +/-.

Although this is only my 2nd season of fan. hockey.

Its a stat and I want to win them all. I have no problem picking a guy with a higher +/- over a guy with more points. I try to balance it all, sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. I personally belive its a easy stat to win.

Better team usually better +/-

However I don't think about it till late rounds

Patrice Bergeron was like +40!!! Nash, Staal and Karlsson easily -20 I believe...

Easy stat think about it, research it and win it

I look for it in the later rounds and during the year, especially H2H when you're done a few during the week.

5x5 H2H 12 Team

Real Estate Lawyer

C- Perez

1B - Pujols

2B - Plouffe

3B - Alvarez

SS - H. Ramirez

OF - Trout

OF - Zobrist

OF - Melky

UTL - Colvin

P - Shields, Felix, Liriano, Hughes, Nova, Fiers, Diamond, Detwiler

RP- Chapman, Valverde, Rodney, Wilhelmsen

I pretty much ignore +/- in the draft, its way too flukey to target anyone. A few weeks into the season you can start to see trends and make moves accordingly to bump up your +/- if needed. Or just pick up pretty much any Bruins player.