Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ballfan4141

Alex Gordon 2013 Outlook

250 posts in this topic

had a good 2011 breakout year. 2012 was not bad but he didnt euqal those numbers. however he did have a lot of doubles. are his numbers less than 2012 more than 2011 or somewhere in between?

I tend to play in leagues that count 2B, BB, and OBP (and demand specific LFs, CFs, and RFs). In such leagues, his value is a bit higher than in 5x5, so I plan to draft him for LF if I miss out on the true studs.

If he can turn some of those doubles into homers, then his value will be closer to where it was 2011. He actually had a very solid all around year last year, I dont think the steals will approach over 20, but he could get the homers back up.

I think he is someone I would play up the fact that maybe 2011 was an outlier. Other than a few more groundballs and few less flyballs he was pretty much the same player. I think his HR/FB% was down as well, just equalizing those things I think he gets back to 25+ HR and might be had at a discount. I like him for 2013

As a Gordon owner last year, that was the softest .294 ive ever seen. He was BRUTAL for long stretches last year. Talking not even starter worthy (12 man leagues) for weeks in the season.

Having said that, i do like him as a value / 3rd OF with upside this year,...vs his #1-#2 OF ADP of last year

Alex Gordon is a terrific baseball player in real life, and pretty darn good in fantasy depending your format.

Overall dude hits for extra bases, gets on base, has some speed - but mostly just a good baserunner, stud in the field, and great baseball IQ. I don't think you're gonna see him swipe 20 bags again - maybe if he has a patient hitter behind him, but 20+ HRs I can definitely see.

We had our ups and downs last year Gordy.. Hopefully he can turn it around but i believe he led the AL in doubles last season if im not mistaken. hopefully he can hit 20+ homers again.

I'm all over this guy this year. I'll be targeting him like crazy. If he plays a full season like he did in the 2nd half last year, then he will be more in line with 2 years ago. He likely won't blow anyone away but he should be a solid contributor across all 5 categories. Something around a .300 average, 20 homers, 80-85 rbis, 90-100 runs, 10-15 steals sounds about right. Fwiw he only had a 8.5% hr/fb rate. He's turned himself into a line drive hitter, which is why he gets a ton of double, high babip, and higher average nowadays, but 8.5 is still incredibly low as he's at 10% for his career and even that is low. A slight bump back to 10-11% likely gives him an extra 3-4 homers, and a better shot at approaching 20+ homers. He's not going to be the sexiest 4th or 5th round pick, but he should make you happy.

He was drafted ahead of E5 in the third rounds in the CBS "expert" league

yea, i saw that. that is insane. he's someone i like, but not enough to pick in round 3. round5? maybe. but even then it seems like a wasted pick. i would think i can get someone near his equal much much much later.

yea, i saw that. that is insane. he's someone i like, but not enough to pick in round 3. round5? maybe. but even then it seems like a wasted pick. i would think i can get someone near his equal much much much later.

He didnt even go that high last year. Pretty bad pick IMO. If you like him then reach a little but don't go that far.

That's pretty ridiculous. He's a great player, but third round is too early to even be considered a reach. He's more of a low end 2 outfielder. I wouldn't even consider drafting him that early. I'd look for him around round 7 or 8.

fwiw, they live podcasted the draft and when the guy picked gordan they ripped him and even the guy who did the pick said it was a bonehead move

fwiw, they live podcasted the draft and when the guy picked gordan they ripped him and even the guy who did the pick said it was a bonehead move

Oh, well that helps. We've all had brain farts on draft day

I think that maybe....just maybe....alex gordon could do 2011 numbers and better. I want to keep him in my keeper league because after him ther are not too many guys that you know what you will get. but also there are a few OFs who are players no one expects to have alex gordon 2012 like number but picking the few that do are the thing.

1 person likes this

I would take Alex Gordon over E5 anyday. E5 is always a sub .270 hitter, minus 1 or 2 seasons. And the most home runs he's hit prior to a giant home run surge to 42(which is extremely fishy) was 26. He is definitly on something. Almost 20 more home runs than most in one season, 160 or more ops point jump and a 100 point boost on slugging. Big red flag, and i dont think he replicates the numbers. Wouldnt be surprised to see a 50 game suspension either. Anyways back to the topic of Gordon. He has 20/20 potential and will sit on a .295-.315 avg. wont get major rbi's but id say somewhere around the 80 range. He is a top 15 outfielder and has some good trading value. Looking for another solid year.

I would take Alex Gordon over E5 anyday. E5 is always a sub .270 hitter, minus 1 or 2 seasons. And the most home runs he's hit prior to a giant home run surge to 42(which is extremely fishy) was 26. He is definitly on something. Almost 20 more home runs than most in one season, 160 or more ops point jump and a 100 point boost on slugging. Big red flag, and i dont think he replicates the numbers. Wouldnt be surprised to see a 50 game suspension either. Anyways back to the topic of Gordon. He has 20/20 potential and will sit on a .295-.315 avg. wont get major rbi's but id say somewhere around the 80 range. He is a top 15 outfielder and has some good trading value. Looking for another solid year.

I get that. My point was more that he shouldnt be taken in the third round.

I'm all over this guy this year. I'll be targeting him like crazy. If he plays a full season like he did in the 2nd half last year, then he will be more in line with 2 years ago. He likely won't blow anyone away but he should be a solid contributor across all 5 categories. Something around a .300 average, 20 homers, 80-85 rbis, 90-100 runs, 10-15 steals sounds about right. Fwiw he only had a 8.5% hr/fb rate. He's turned himself into a line drive hitter, which is why he gets a ton of double, high babip, and higher average nowadays, but 8.5 is still incredibly low as he's at 10% for his career and even that is low. A slight bump back to 10-11% likely gives him an extra 3-4 homers, and a better shot at approaching 20+ homers. He's not going to be the sexiest 4th or 5th round pick, but he should make you happy.

Going to quote myself so I can fix my projections. Now that he's expected to hit leadoff I would say add 3-5 steals, take off 10-15 rbi's, and add 5-10 runs. Gordon's fantasy game is starting to remind me a lot of Shin-Soo Choo, but with more upside.

yeah I compared them two closely. however I liked gordon batting 3rd better. I would take 5 sb.....but 25 hrs and 100 rbi with a 290 average.

Shin Soo Choo is a great comp. .290/90/20/80/15 line is pretty darn decent.

My projection this year for him is similar except with 17 homers and less rbis now that he is hitting leadoff. Still a very consistent contributor though across the board.

Gordon is great for XBH's. Lead the league with 51 doubles last year and hit 9 home runs over the last month and a half. He could be a solid candidate for .300 and 20/20 season if he picks up his power numbers again; and could rip 75+ rbi's.