Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Tuna

Shelby Miller 2013 Outlook

589 posts in this topic

Hyped prospect...looked pretty avg ...then had a nice run at the end of the season. Does he have a starting spot this year and how will he do?

Hyped prospect...looked pretty avg ...then had a nice run at the end of the season. Does he have a starting spot this year and how will he do?

I dont think he will at the beginning of the season.. but i fully expect him to be a starter by all star break. I like him a lot this year, he seems to have fixed what troubling him early last year and he has so much talent and potential.

I don't see why Miller doesn't break camp with a spot in the starting rotation.

I would think he's more than 50/50 to break camp. If he does make the team out of spring watch out he could be in for a very nice season.

I would think he's more than 50/50 to break camp. If he does make the team out of spring watch out he could be in for a very nice season.

Aparently Lynn is still the front runner for the job, so that's why I think they let him start in the minors in the beginning

Aparently Lynn is still the front runner for the job, so that's why I think they let him start in the minors in the beginning

If Garcia is not healthy come spring training (which I think is a very real possibility) then there will be two spots available for Rosenthal, Miller, Lynn, and Kelly. I think Miller wins that 5th spot.

I don't see Kelly as even in the picture for a rotation spot. It's also no lock that Garcia gets a spot. If he comes back and struggles in spring training, he may be held out on the DL for a little bit until he shows he is fully healthy. It's between him, Miller, Rosenthal, and Lynn for the last 2 spots. If I had to pick right now, I would guess that it ends being Lynn and Miller (although I hope it is Rosenthal).

It's my personal opinion that Rosenthal is the best out of Miller, Kelly, and Lynn.

Agreed. I'm also not sure why the Cards decided to hold onto Westbrook. I'd rather start developing a young pitcher with upside out there (take your pick with Lynn, Miller, and Rosenthal) than him.

I guess last year he upset the Cards because he showed up too thin and in the low 200's, he has put on 18-20lbs this offseason and is back where he was.

It's my personal opinion that Rosenthal is the best out of Miller, Kelly, and Lynn.

Agreed. I'm also not sure why the Cards decided to hold onto Westbrook. I'd rather start developing a young pitcher with upside out there (take your pick with Lynn, Miller, and Rosenthal) than him.

I guarentee its a decision the Cardinals are regretting already. They signed Westbrook to an extension in-season last year when Miller was having a rough AAA year, Lynn had slowed down, and Carpenter had yet to come back healthy. If they knew they had all these starting pitcher options I don't think they would have done it. The Cardinals have already said Lynn is the favorite for the job so unless Garcia isn't ready or one of the others really impress then Rosenthal, Miller, and Kelly are going to be left out, Kelly would probably slide into a bullpen role. However, if you can afford to hold on to Rosenthal and Miller I think they have great upside for later in the season. Cardinals are quietly developing a lot of pitching prospects.

This is huge for Miller. I expert him to get a starting position if they don't sign lohse again.

The Cardinals are already downplaying resigning Kyle Lohse, have to believe that they are confident in what they have in Miller and the rest of the system that resigning Lohse would not be a priority.

Well, he isnt officially retiring YET. If he doesn't the cards still have to pay him, which means they won't be signing Lohse.

From what i gather from the press conference, they are gonna look internally, i.e. Miller.

Well, he isnt officially retiring YET. If he doesn't the cards still have to pay him, which means they won't be signing Lohse.

From what i gather from the press conference, they are gonna look internally, i.e. Miller.

Good to hear they will look internally. I am very very high on Miller then. I'm assuming he will still be had at a good value

Miller will be a stud this year. Mark it down

I really think so too, and he won't come at the price of someone like Harvey or Moore.

Good to hear they will look internally. I am very very high on Miller then. I'm assuming he will still be had at a good value

This. They shouldn't (and appears they won't) pay for Lohse. They have a lot of young arms ready to step up. Miller, Lynn, and Rosenthal are just a few of them. This is definitley a good move for fantasy as another one of them will get a shot to be a starter in the majors. Whichever 2 it is will be worth picking up at the end of drafts.

So, it's early, but this probably isn't great...

Rick Hummel wrote: Shelby Miller's right shoulder has stiffened up, #cardinals going to give him a break from mound. Won't appear in weekend games. #stlcards

22 year old with shoulder soreness after a week of PFP and throwing?

1 person likes this

So, it's early, but this probably isn't great...

Rick Hummel wrote: Shelby Miller's right shoulder has stiffened up, #cardinals going to give him a break from mound. Won't appear in weekend games. #stlcards

22 year old with shoulder soreness after a week of PFP and throwing?

Maybe his offseason program was inadequate? I wouldn't worry...yet.

Gotta take the wait and see approach now. Might drive down his value a little though so he can be had for cheaper

he reportedly looked good in his spring debut. is the shoulder issue the only thing that would prevent him from claiming a spot in the rotation? i don't follow the redbirds much, so any insight would be helpful.

let's assume that he makes the rotation. where should he be drafted in redrafts?

he reportedly looked good in his spring debut. is the shoulder issue the only thing that would prevent him from claiming a spot in the rotation? i don't follow the redbirds much, so any insight would be helpful.

let's assume that he makes the rotation. where should he be drafted in redrafts?

Although unlikely, Lohse resigning is still an option for them and would push either Miller or Garcia back to AAA or the bullpen. Waino, Westbrook, Lynn, Garcia, and Miller is likely their Opening Day rotation as Rosenthal has struggled so far.