Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYSportsfan24

Andrelton Simmons 2013 Outlook

154 posts in this topic

What are projections for him this year? I'm hearing the Braves are considering batting him leadoff. Could be a good source of SB's and runs.

by the time most draft starts this guys value will increase because of the espn and yahoo articles. was planning on drafting him at the end of the draft but by then he will have more value in the draft.

thanks matthew berry and yahoos butt boys.

by the time most draft starts this guys value will increase because of the espn and yahoo articles. was planning on drafting him at the end of the draft but by then he will have more value in the draft.

thanks matthew berry and yahoos butt boys.

Yeah these guys should just stop doing their jobs....the nerve.

1 person likes this

Does he have any value other than Runs? He was injured so much last year there isn't much to see just in those stats. No indication of either speed or power. Did he show any in the minors?

I am far from a scout but I watched him whenever I got the chance and he appears very poised at the plate. He never seems to get flustered and made great contact with a low amount of Ks. I don't think you can expect much in terms of power or speed but something close to .295 with 8-10 hrs and sbs would be my prediction. I won't be keeping Jeter in my keeper league this year and fully plan on drafting him late.

All Braves players are starting to get overhyped

1 person likes this

All Braves players are starting to get overhyped

they all are accept maybe him. but now he is probably gaining in ADP.

I hope he bats lead off, he really might be the only lead off hitter they cold have. If he does he has some good value because of runs and maybe ten to twenty steals. I don't think his power will be great though, but I wouldn't mind grabbing someone like him and segura late as a SS platoon situation and see if one of them works out

I think his bat will progress a lot like Starlin Castro's has. Castro may have a little more upside but Simmon's bat gets a little overshadowed by his great defense, I think he projects as a solid offensive SS as well.

No power, His minor league steals/caught stealing is erratic as is shown below. He only had 1 steal last year. If he bats lead-off and they let him steal some, he could have some value for runs and some steals.

2010 - 18/4

2011 - 26/18

2012 - 10/2

have they completely given up on pastornicky, or does he have a shot in ST?

if i remember correctly he did some unforgivable thing last year that got him completely removed from any playing time. can't remember exactly what it was, but there was a specific point in the season where he was black balled. pastornicky, that is

Pastornicky has no shot as shortstop. His only chance at any playing time with the Braves is if he can become a utility guy capable of playing multiple positions. His defense at SS is just too bad, and his bad bat doesn't make up for it.

7-10 HRs, ~15 steals, good OBP/avg. For a shortstop, that makes him decent in most categories, but not outstanding in any one. I don't see much upside in the HR total or the steals projections, that is pretty close to what his ceiling is.

What are projections for him this year? I'm hearing the Braves are considering batting him leadoff. Could be a good source of SB's and runs.

He is all or nothing on batting order, probably hits 1st or hits 8th and in an NL line up those are HUGE differences in approach and how the game is played and statistical accumulation.
2 people like this

I hear a lot of people comp him to Starlin Castro. Assuming he sticks in the leadoff spot what do people see as floor and ceiling stats for Simmons?

He's my starting shortstop. All I'm hoping for from him is 10 HR and 15 SB. I don't think that's asking too much. Assuming he has a solid OBP, he'll have no problem scoring at least 90 runs in that lineup.

He's my starting shortstop. All I'm hoping for from him is 10 HR and 15 SB. I don't think that's asking too much. Assuming he has a solid OBP, he'll have no problem scoring at least 90 runs in that lineup.

Agreed. Above all else I'm hoping for consistency from him, i.e. no prolonged slumps. His elite contact % and low K total should help him avoid major slumps. I expect ~8 HRs, 90 runs (assuming he bats leadoff most of the season), 15-17 steals, and a ~.280 avg. I'll take that all day long.

1 person likes this

I hear a lot of people comp him to Starlin Castro. Assuming he sticks in the leadoff spot what do people see as floor and ceiling stats for Simmons?

Spot on with Castro comparison I have been saying that for a while. The power flashes we have seen lead you to believe more HRs will be on the way in the future. Don't matter for fantasy but he is great defensively as well

Spot on with Castro comparison I have been saying that for a while. The power flashes we have seen lead you to believe more HRs will be on the way in the future. Don't matter for fantasy but he is great defensively as well

Castro is 10th in hits over the last 3 years and he has less games played than the 9 guys ahead of him. Is Simmons really capable of that? Serious question -- do not know that much about him but his MILB numbers don't leap out as a guy capable of 200 hits per year.

I didnt mean this year, but more as far as a possible career trajectory etc..

Castro is 10th in hits over the last 3 years and he has less games played than the 9 guys ahead of him. Is Simmons really capable of that? Serious question -- do not know that much about him but his MILB numbers don't leap out as a guy capable of 200 hits per year.

Castro's minor league numbers didn't jump out either. Just very similar offensive skills sets, good speed but not elite, developing power, both kind of free swingers (maybe Castro even more so). One thing about the comparisons is that Castro is actually still younger lol

1 person likes this

Afraid after his HR showing last night and Handley's injury co-inciding, that he take a huge jump in where he goes in my upcoming draft.

Not putting them on an even level, but when injury occurs, people look harder at other options.