Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jackmurphy

Trying to decide which 4 to keep

26 posts in this topic

6x6 scoring - additional categories are K's for hitters and Losses for pitchers

Pick 4 keepers out of the following:

Miguel Cabrera(obvious)

Tulo

Justin Upton

Posey

Harper

Kinsler

R. Zimmerman

Bumgarner

Wainwright

My guts tellin me the first 4. I hate letting Harper go though. But I have 5th pick. 40 players total will be off the board for the draft. You can keep players forever too. What do you think?

Any way to make a deal? Because I'd hate to part with any of those.

As much as i'd hate to do it, i'd probably let Upton go. I couldn't part with Harper, Posey, Tulo, or Cabrera. Upton would be insanely tough to give up as well, but i think I'm taking Haper's ceiling over Upton's.

cabrera posey harper (tulowitzki or bumgarner) trade upton for picks? can you do that. bank now on his hype on new team.

I'd keep both Upton and Harper along with Cabrera and Posey. It's definitely between the top 5 guys. I just have no faith left in Tulo. I was burned by him a few years back and thought I was getting a good deal last year, so I took him again and was burned again. I actually like Upton and Harper both more than Tulo this year anyway. Upton should be motivated to show Arizona what they got rid of and Harper is a tremendous talent that is now in one of the top lineups.

I think I would go with Upton Harper Cabrera and Posey as well. It'd be tough to give up Tulo, but his injuries have become a big concern.

In this format Miggy, Harper & Posey are locks, it's Tulo or Upton to me. I'm currently drafting Tulo first, but with your Keeper settings, I think Upton has more value being 3 years younger. There's a decent amount of depth at SS at the top end (gets nasty late, but you can find someone solid in the first 10 rounds).

This is tough. Almost every mock i see has Tulo in late 1st, early 2nd

Mocks are irrelevant to your team and are usually not Keeper formats. If every mock had Ryan Zimmerman in the first round, would you keep him instead? He's basically the Tulo of 3B -- solid Avg, solid Power, but can't stay healthy. Tulo is a stud when healthy, but can't stay healthy -- even when his game totals are high, he's been playing a hurt a lot and it's crushing his numbers -- he turns 29 at the end of the season, I really don't see him staying healthy and putting up numbers for that much longer -- he couldn't stay healthy at 25-27, what would make you think he will at 28-30?

Cabrera, Harper (think a young Braun minus the average - don't ever drop), Upton (although I understand position scarcity with Posey), and Tulo (even though he's an injury risk). Tulo gives you every category H2H against Posey (close in average) and you could always get Posey back if you really wanted him early. With Upton over Posey, Miggy and Tulo will hold your average up enough that Posey is expendable. Upton gives you a huge advantage in steals and runs. Posey K's way less, but Upton's average isn't chop liver. Granted the position scarcity plays a factor, but you will be able to get Posey back early IMO if you're really freaked out about the catcher position.

What no Bumgarner love? Cabrera Harper Posey are must-keep. In your forever format a case could be made for Bumgarner, but J-Up works too. The decision is between these 2. If you know your league mates and their tendencies, like SP's are overvalued or there are more Braves fans, drop the one you're most likely to get back in the draft. Otherwise go with your gut.

NO WAY you drop Harper if you can keep a player forever.

Cabrera, Tulo, Posey, Harper for me. Upton has been more hype than results lately. Not sure a move to Atlanta is going to help!

Cabrera and Posey jump out at me first. After that, considering it is a "forever keeper", you have to do Harper and then I'd probably lean towards Tulo but he just can't seem to put togehter a full healthy season though. I guess the question is, do you think there is a chance to redraft any of those guys with the 5th pick?

Thanks for the replies...

I'm still pondering who I should keep every single day.

My latest is Miggy, Upton, Harper, Posey. I have 5th pick and I'm pretty sure this one guy in my league isn't keeping Hanley. If I throw back Tulo, that means Tulo and Hanley have a chance of falling to me at #5.

Does this sound smart?

Keep the top 5 minus Tulo. He's really the only one that has a serious question mark. I'd hate to keep Tulo over Upton or Harper and they become studs for a long time and Tulo gets injured. I can deal with Tulo being a stud for another team when I have those other 4 guys.

I would keep

Miggy/Harper/Tulo/Upton

Posey is hot, but C usually miss a lot of games, plus i don't see him repeating.

Everyone giving me different opinions.

Looks like its down to Tulo vs. Posey. I hate this decision. Leaning towards cutting Tulo loose.

Keeping Posey over Tulo makes more sense for several reasons. His stats at catcher are simply more valuable because they are from a catcher. The Giants are focused on Posey's health and give him days at 1B to help avoid wear and tear. Tulo has never played a full season. Health is a skill and he simply doesn't own it. Posey has twice in 3 years finished the season. And by your own admission a Tulo-type player should fall to you in the draft. Keep Posey.

Tulo, Upton, Harper, Cabrera... you'd draft all 4 of them before Posey so it's an easy decision.

Keeping Posey over Tulo makes more sense for several reasons. His stats at catcher are simply more valuable because they are from a catcher. The Giants are focused on Posey's health and give him days at 1B to help avoid wear and tear. Tulo has never played a full season. Health is a skill and he simply doesn't own it. Posey has twice in 3 years finished the season. And by your own admission a Tulo-type player should fall to you in the draft. Keep Posey.

C has become deeper then SS, so i disagree there.

People get on Tulo for missing time.

Posey has 1 year of more then 108 games. Posey has had 1 great year.

Tulo has 4 years with over 108 games. Tulo has 4 great years, a longer track record.

Posey is great, but his babip was lucky last year, C rest a lot, and they get dinged up more then anybody.

You guys are all making great points, thanks for the input.

If I keep Tulo instead of Posey, which catcher would you target and when? I'm assuming Posey would get snatched up during the first 4 picks before me.

I'm pretty sure no other catchers are being kept.

Tulo, Upton, Harper, Cabrera... you'd draft all 4 of them before Posey so it's an easy decision.

Buster Posey ADP at MockDraftCentral 12.89

Troy Tulowitzki ADP 18.60.

Buster goes 1st. Keep Buster.

Soooo leaning towards Miggy, Harper, Upton, Tulo

My latest thoughts are that catcher is really deep this year and no others catchers are being kept. Yeah Posey is a real life mvp but not really GREAT in fantasy, is he? Victor Martinez is a career .300 hitter and could hit 20 jacks, Santana could hit 30 bombs, wouldn't mind Wieters or Salvador Perez either. Also McCann could be a late value pick.

Thoughts?

Any of those guys are sufficient. VMart is a bit of health risk, and everyone is just assuming he hits the ground running. Plus with the new Interleague format he's looking at missing 10 games when there is no DH. Not a mortal blow, just another question mark. McCann can't help you until May, so you still need a C early. I favor Santana, I just think all the ingredients are there for a real breakout, and the Michael Bourn signing just gives me even more hope. Posey still has the best baseline IMO, and he'll play some 1B and may even DH in AL interleague games, so he has the chance for 50-100 more AB's than a typical catcher. I'd still hang onto him if it were my team, but you do have some decent options available after him.