Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Yasmani Grandal 2013 Outlook

157 posts in this topic

Not much buzz on him but I drafted him last year and still feel just as confident in him as before. I still think he has absolute beast potential and the whole PED thing was just because he was getting worn down after a long season. His plate discipline is elite and he reminds me alot of V-Mart with the bat. Possible .300-20 guy in 2014 and should still be productive after he comes back from his suspension.

Thoughts?

Not much buzz on him but I drafted him last year and still feel just as confident in him as before. I still think he has absolute beast potential and the whole PED thing was just because he was getting worn down after a long season. His plate discipline is elite and he reminds me alot of V-Mart with the bat. Possible .300-20 guy in 2014 and should still be productive after he comes back from his suspension.

Thoughts?

Not sure if he is worth stashing unless you have a big bench. 50 games is a long time and he could very well be a shell of his former self.

Yeah, I had him down as a Mauer-lite in an OBP league. We will see how he looks post-PED

He was tested earlier in the year in the minors and he passed....got called up to the majors and thats when he got caught. A young catcher who's played so many games in 2012 gets his first shot at the majors but is incredibly worn down from the season but knows he has to perform to stay....decides to use PED to probably help him heal (I also remember he had some injuries later in the season as well) from injuries......

I'm trusting his minor league slashline of .300/.400/.500. He will be a BEAST.

So, 50 game suspension aside, is this guy still dealing with tendon issues in his finger?

RW blurb from mid Feb.:

Yasmani Grandal revealed Sunday that he hasn't picked up a bat all winter due to two inflamed tendons in his left middle finger.

Grandal will hit for the first time on Monday. He admitted that he was "swinging one-handed from the left side" of the plate at the end of last season due to the injury. Grandal, of course, will serve a 50-game suspension at the start of the 2013 season due to a positive PED test, so he should have plenty of time to recover from the finger ailment. It's certainly worth monitoring, though. Source: Bill Center on Twitter Feb. 17 - 10:47 am et

This is the latest item I could find. Sounds like he's doing fine, but this news is over a month old. Has anyone seen recent Padres ST games? Is he currently playing in games?

CBS Sports:

(2/26/2013) Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal was slowed in camp after dealing with two inflamed tendons on the middle finger of his left hand during the offseason. He showed no signs of the injury in Tuesday's Cactus League game against the Reds as he went 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored in the 7-5 win. Grandal has gone 2 for 4 (.500) with two RBI and a walk through two spring games. "I know I'm not going to catch too often, and I have to take advantage of the time I get," Grandal said. "I've been doing workouts, but nothing can simulate a game. That's especially true for a catcher. From an offensive standpoint, it was nice to drive a run home and continue to work on my timing."

When is this guy do back?

Could use the young potential stud C to stash

Late May I think...

Mauer-lite?

Ya, we'll see. Always skeptical now with guys coming off PEDs. See Melky Cabrera. He certainly looked pretty damn good last year, could be a top 5 fantasy catcher if he can put up similar numbers.

Game 51: Tuesday May 28th

Barring any PPD until then.

good to know thanks ... projections for the second half? i assume he'd start in the minors for a bit.

Just be aware that Hundley is having a very good season at the plate. He may take more than 1 day a week away from Grandal if he continues to hit.

Just be aware that Hundley is having a very good season at the plate. He may take more than 1 day a week away from Grandal if he continues to hit.

I agree, provided he's still hitting a month from now. Otherwise, Grandal's job to run with.

i'm used to catchers only getting 4/5 days anyway ... could he really be mauer-lite?

he was dropped in my dynasty awhile ago ... instantly scooped him up.

Regarding the timing of his return, will he actually be back on the Padres May 28 or will he begin in the minors for a few days to get up to snuff?

Regarding the timing of his return, will he actually be back on the Padres May 28 or will he begin in the minors for a few days to get up to snuff?

I think he actually gets 5 days or so at the end of his suspension where he can appear in minor league games.

I think he actually gets 5 days or so at the end of his suspension where he can appear in minor league games.

so he could (potentially) be starting right away? I assumed he'd start in the minors ... but if he can get a week in while still suspended he might be ready to go in a few weeks.

Should/could be a great option in OPS leagues right?

Yasmani Grandal will begin a minor league rehab assignment Saturday with Triple-A Tucson.

Grandal is still serving his 50-game suspension for a positive PED test, but he is allowed to begin a 10-game minor league assignment. The 24-year-old backstop is eligible to join the Padres on May 28 and may split playing time with Nick Hundley upon his return.

Really hope this guy mashes like he did last year... he could be the answer to my catcher woes this season.

I can't imagine they wouldn't make Hundley Grandal's strict backup. Hundley is just absolutely putrid defensively and isn't exactly Buster Posey or Carlos Santana with the bat.

stash time for those with catcher woes. is this guy any good? will he have a job when he gets back?

stash time for those with catcher woes. is this guy any good? will he have a job when he gets back?

Look at what happened to Melky when he came back following a drug suspension. This guy isn't a terrible stash but its possible he doesn't eclipse those numbers from last season. Additionally, playing 50% of his games in one of the worst hitters parks in the league doesn't help.