Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creepy

David Wilson 2013 Season Outlook

3,713 posts in this topic

Ahmad Bradshaw - RB - Free Agent

Giants released RB Ahmad Bradshaw.

Bradshaw had been bandied about as a candidate for release in the Giants media, but it's still a surprising decision. However, it creates $2.75 million in cap space, and clears the way for 2012 first-round pick David Wilson to take over as starter. Speaking at his season-ending presser, GM Jerry Reese made it clear he remained high on Wilson despite his uneven rookie season. Bradshaw is still only 27 (in March), and has averaged a robust 4.6 yards on 921 career carries, but chronic foot issues bode poorly for his future. Regardless, he should have little trouble finding work as a complementary back on the open market.

============================================

Wow, I guess he saw it coming. Jerry Reese must really love Wilson or be very concerned about Bradshaw's foot. I assume this will be close to 50/50 split between him and Andre Brown with Brown getting most of the goal-line work. Where do you guys see Wilson's value next year?

Imagine the hypes of Darren Mcfadden and Jahvid Best met at a bar and hit it off

9 months later, we'd have this thread.

1 person likes this

I wonder if a hangover would give Best a concussion too???

hmmmmmm

Top 15 RB easy. Top 5-10 upside.

Not sure about that with Andre Brown around. Looking like a timeshare with Brown getting the GL carries. Wilson's got top 10 upside for sure but it probably won't happen in 2013 without a Brown injury.

Top 15 RB easy. Top 5-10 upside.

Not sure about that with Andre Brown around. Looking like a timeshare with Brown getting the GL carries. Wilson's got top 10 upside for sure but it probably won't happen in 2013 without a Brown injury.

Wilson only needs 10-15 touches to be effective. Which I think hell receive even with Brown in the mix. He may get TD vultured but Wilson can score from anywhere on the field.

Definitely a boost for Wilson, but I'd temper your TD expectations. He's going to need to punch in a bunch of 15+ yarders because they are likely going to give Brown plenty of vulture chances.

1 person likes this

At least this gives me a possible keeper alternative to Ryan Mathews

1 person likes this

Andre Brown is a restricted free agent coming off (another) season ending injury.

If you are attempting to analyze a player based on what espn and a youtube highlight tell you, don't bother. This guy is a lot more than a speed RB. There are very few players in the league that can match this guy's speed/power combo and he was excellent in the redzone/short yardage once Coughlin took the leash off.

I wonder how much of a "timeshare" this will really be by mid-season? My guess is not anywhere near 50/50.

David Wilson and Andre Brown are expected to be used in a timeshare going forward.

From the Brandon Jacobs/Derrick Ward days to the Jacobs/Ahmad Bradshaw era, coach Tom Coughlin has a long history of using committee-based backfields. Wilson and Brown form their own version of "fire and ice," with the explosive second-year man more likely to get the first crack at the starting job. Brown, who impressively scored eight touchdowns in 10 games last year, is a better bet for the short-yardage and goal-line work. Both backs will have plenty of upside now that Bradshaw has been handed his pink slip.

Related: Andre Brown

Source: New York Daily News

Feb 7 - 8:39 AM

Imagine the hypes of Darren Mcfadden and Jahvid Best met at a bar and hit it off

9 months later, we'd have this thread.

I agree with this. The hype for this guy will be out of control. No way I draft off of price alone.

1 person likes this

Second-rounder, easily. He will be dubbed David "Upside" Wilson.

But his upside is capped due to the presence of Brown. This is not a slight to Wilson, just the fact that Coughlin has proved over the years that he likes to split carries. Couple that with Brown's effectiveness at the goalline, and you get less TD opportunities for Wilson.

"Upside will be capped by ---- "

pretty much every RB not named Lynch, Richardson, AP, Martin, Foster, Charles

Here's my only issue, people expecting a Ward/Jacobs type 2008 season from Wilson/Brown are going to be disappointed as the 'Gints don't run the ball that many times anymore.

Here's my only issue, people expecting a Ward/Jacobs type 2008 season from Wilson/Brown are going to be disappointed as the 'Gints don't run the ball that many times anymore.

Yes, but maybe that's been personnel-driven. Between Eli's "tired arm" late last season, Wilson's superior burst, and the fact that the Giants' scheme didn't work as well for them last year, that could change. Or Nicks coming back healthy could push them to continue chucking it. Not sure anyone can make an accurate assessment of what Coughlin's gonna do one way or the other at this point.

I do agree that Wilson will probably be over-hyped and not worth the price in a redraft league, but man as a dynasty owner I'm licking my chops at this news.

since i've already made the comparison quite a bit ... went back and checked some numbers just to give you an idea of how explosive this guy is.

CJ Spiller 2010: 98 touches, 440 yards, 1 TD; 1554 total yards, 2 TDs, 2 40+ yard returns

David Wilson 2012: 75 touches, 392 yards, 5 TD; 1925 total yards, 6 TDs, 7 40+ yard returns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uviR8HjLDxk

you can just skip to 5:08 if you want. :wub: .

2 people like this

Problem is he's twice the price that Spiller was last year. I got Spiller in the 8th last year, and Wilson's ADP we'll likely sniff the 4th round. The beauty of picking up Spiller was that if it didn't pan out, oh well, I have my original starters I drafted. For Wilson owners there's much more hinging on him at that ADP, he'll be counted on as a starter from the get-go.

I still probably wouldn't mind drafting him as my RB2 especially if he slipped to the 5th round, but be aware Andre Brown isn't just going to disappear. I don't see why he won't have the same annoying role he had last year - The guy who gets nearly every snap inside the 5 for the go ahead score. However, Wilson, like Spiller, could be so electric that his attractive yardage totals and long TD runs could be help him maintain RB2 status next year.

Unfortunately, there's only 10-12 RBs (maybe) that won't have a potential "TD vulture" in 2013.

You're right, is slim picking to find RB's without possible TD Vultures. Unfortunately, Andre Brown is up there with Michael Bush as top-5 most annoying and more established TD Vultures, however. Wilson has every chance to be a pretty solid RB2 regardless though. especially in the 5th round, I don't know how I resist him.

Assuming he gets ~15 touches a game

AP, Foster, Richardson, Lynch, Martin, Morris, Charles, Rice, Mccoy --- those are the only RBs I'd definitely rank above him, and I have some concerns with Rice/Mccoy's workload in 2013. Still, they are studs and should be drafted before him.

Spiller, Ridley, Gore, Chris Johnson, Forte, Murray, Mcfadden, Mathews, SJax --- RBs I can all see going before Wilson, although I'd take Wilson over several.

I don't argue ranks, they're all subjective and will probably change a million times before drafts start ... draft whoever you want ... but it's not out of the realm of possibility this guy is a top 10 fantasy RB - with or without Brown stealing TDs. Spiller/Bush finished 7th and 14th overall at RB in my league ... I think Wilson could easily fall within that range averaging ~10 points/game.

my only concern is whether or not the giants keep him on kick returns. i don't know of any teams that subject their top RB to kick returns ... but he's also a weapon back there so should be interesting. he could add 2-3 TDs just off returns, but obviously increases the injury risk.

The early leader for the Ryan Mathews "I am a great athlete but can't hang onto the football so my fantasy upside is capped" award winner for 2013? I like Wilson's talent, but I could see Tom Coughlin getting irritated and going with some complete unknown at times due "ball security" issues. Will be interesting to see how high he goes. Everyone loves the "young, untapped upside player".