Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baltimore_boy

Darin Mastroianni 2013 Outlook

32 posts in this topic

I'm surprised that Mastroianni isn't appearing on sleeper lists. He stole 21 bases last year in only 181 PA's. A likely full time starter, would anyone be surprised if Mastroianni leads the league in steals? He has impressive speed and should hit leadoff. Without much competition for the job, if he hits good, he can hold on to it all year. He won't give you anything for homers or rbi's though. He's basically a cheaper version of Michael Bourn.

Only problem is, what do we expect from BA? He was an unimpressive .252 BA and had a 24% K rate.

But looking at his minor league numbers and his underline plate discipline. It does look like he stands a good chance to lower that K-rate, which should help put his BA in more neutral to good range.

He does draw walks though, so he will have a respectable OBP, which will help towards his SB and Run total.

He is most defiantly worth a late round Flier that's for sure.

Everything I keep reading is that Hicks will be in the mix either in spring OR they might wait a bit to extend control on him arb wise, but he would be up in June.

I agree with you though, if spring looks as if Mastroianni has the job, he could be a nice sleeper, he did steal 70 bags a couple years back in the minors.

I agree that Mastro is a good late pick, especially in AL-only. I've heard Benson's name as being in the mix as well as Hicks's. AL-only, they might also be worth picking up late. I also like teammate Parmalee as a late pick.

I agree that Mastro is a good late pick, especially in AL-only. I've heard Benson's name as being in the mix as well as Hicks's. AL-only, they might also be worth picking up late. I also like teammate Parmalee as a late pick.

This is a nice fangraphs article on the centerfield job from back in December

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/front-and-center-the-twins-cf-situaish/

I think Aaron Hicks has gotten a little more press about getting the job since then as well. Mastroianni is definitely a late round flier, but it doesn't seem like he will hold onto the job the entire year as long as the other guys involved don't suck on an epic scale. But if for some reason, he finds a way to hang onto the job the entire year...he should have no problem putting up 40 steals. That will likely be the only asset he carries, and hopefully he doesn't kill in batting average.

Luckily for me, I can cross him off my board in my AL-Only league. I love the steals, but I'd rather not draft a one category guy for my active roster.

Anyone know of a site that tracks pinch running appearances? I seem to recall the Twins using him as a pinch runner a lot and I'm wondering if that isn't part of what made his base stealing numbers look so impressive.

I agree with Pepper Pot. The kid does look like a strong bet to rack up some steals. HOWEVER, I hate getting one category players who hurt you everywhere else. Mastro is the very definition of that type of player. I'm staying away.

Those 1 cat steals guys are nice to have on a head to head team though. Every once in a while putting them in for their speed when you already locked up other categories pays off.

With the way Hicks has been playing this spring I dont think this guy has a spot in the lineup now or does he get some time over Parmalee?

With the way Hicks has been playing this spring I dont think this guy has a spot in the lineup now or does he get some time over Parmalee?

Yeh, Hicks looks like he's pulling away for the starting job. Darin is looking like a 4th outfielder and pinch runner at this point. Probably still good for 25 steals

Well that pretty much answers that. 3 HR, 6 RBI and a steal for Hicks today.

Yep.... zero percent chance Masteroni will start over Hicks.

Well that pretty much answers that. 3 HR, 6 RBI and a steal for Hicks today.

Yep.... zero percent chance Masteroni will start over Hicks.

I wouldn't say zero chance...it is getting slimmer by the day though. Hicks is going to be tested more and more everyday as pitchers get stronger and use their full arsenals. Hicks gives them the most potential out of their potential center fielders coming into the season. I don't see Mastroianni starting over Parmalee unless he falls on his fall again or gets injuried. But I do see him being a defensive replacement and pinch runner.

So this guy pretty much has no value left aside from pinch running steals.

I have him in a 18 team dynasty league and even those the FA wire is sparce, I think i can do better than him. Any reason to hold onto him?

You could maybe hang onto him in case of an injury to Parmalee or Hicks or if one of them starts struggling really badly or maybe hope the Twins have an awful start and decide to trade Willingham for prospects or something. In the Hicks thread some other Twins fan seems to think he's still going to split time in center with Hicks but I don't really see where that is coming from based on what Gardenhire and all the Twins reporters have said and the fact they're bringing Hicks straight up from AA.

I think he will get his AB's, and probably play everyday sooner than later. I just don't see Parmalee playing everyday. His swing is longer than John Goodman's. I think it's safe to say that Mastro will be playing everyday by May at one of the OF spots.

I think he will get his AB's, and probably play everyday sooner than later. I just don't see Parmalee playing everyday. His swing is longer than John Goodman's. I think it's safe to say that Mastro will be playing everyday by May at one of the OF spots.

Heck, even if he doesn't play fulltime, he could still get 30 stolen bases with around 250 at bats. he had 21 last yr in 163 and playing less then half the season.

So with the way Hicks has been playing does this guy get a chance to play a lot when healthy.

So with the way Hicks has been playing does this guy get a chance to play a lot when healthy.

I think Hicks will get another couple weeks to show something.

Ya. I agree but I just added him because if Hicks continues this much longer then Darin could become pretty valuable quickly.

So glad I held onto this guy. Starts today and already gets a hit, a SB. And a run. He's light years more valuable to the Twins then Hicks right now. This guy could just run wild for roto leagues. Must Add in my opinion in roto leagues until the CF job in Minneapolis shakes out.

So glad I held onto this guy. Starts today and already gets a hit, a SB. And a run. He's light years more valuable to the Twins then Hicks right now. This guy could just run wild for roto leagues. Must Add in my opinion in roto leagues until the CF job in Minneapolis shakes out.

I wouldn't call him a must add. He'd be best in a deep daily where you could stream him against lefties. For a speedster with little to no pop he has pretty dismal contact rates so he will be hard pressed to hit over .250. However, if you need SB's he attempted a steal 46% of the time he reached 1b last season.

I wouldn't call him a must add. He'd be best in a deep daily where you could stream him against lefties. For a speedster with little to no pop he has pretty dismal contact rates so he will be hard pressed to hit over .250. However, if you need SB's he attempted a steal 46% of the time he reached 1b last season.

Good call. He does have holes in his swing. He might not necessarily start every day. I just think if there's any chance he gets 80% of the playing time in CF....he could be a monster boost in SB's for any roto team.