Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mmahandicapper

Players turning it on after ASB?

41 posts in this topic

Which players historically have went beast mode after ASB? Also, any predictions fof new(er) players?

I think bogut and gordon. Both have ample time to rest up and start getting back to form.

Which players historically have went beast mode after ASB?

Mostly a myth

This, happens in baseball exponentially more than it does in hoops.

1 person likes this

Mostly a myth

Is it because baseball has way higher variance?

If you look at most post NBA all star breakout performances, they usually stem from trades, tanking, or injuries. Players already in starting positions with full minutes rarely outperform their averages. Out of the group, tanking and injuries are the likeliest reason. Waiting for a trade is like hoping to win the lottery.

If you look at most post NBA all star breakout performances, they usually stem from trades, tanking, or injuries. Players already in starting positions with full minutes rarely outperform their averages. Out of the group, tanking and injuries are the likeliest reason. Waiting for a trade is like hoping to win the lottery.

This is probably the most apt response although I'm not sure tanking will present a lot of opportunity, more like suppress future production from an older and fading player. Folks should either post a rational reason for their thoughts (history, quant trends, roster movement, etc) or else this thread is just a bunch of managers doing this for their underperforming players....

Fingers-crossed1%5B1%5D.jpg

1 person likes this

ASB WISH LIST:

GAY

BATUM

DRAGIC

Completely forgot about Larry Sanders....My neighborhood is dying for a Block Party

1 person likes this

This is probably the most apt response although I'm not sure tanking will present a lot of opportunity, more like suppress future production from an older and fading player. Folks should either post a rational reason for their thoughts (history, quant trends, roster movement, etc) or else this thread is just a bunch of managers doing this for their underperforming players....

That's pretty much me every night

Bradley Beal. This guy shows glipse of what he can do prior to his wrist injury. After the wrist injury is past him. His main deriment was his terrible Fg%, but if this month is any indication, he seems to have dramatically improved that even with a gimpy wrist.

I could easily see him going 5-9th round ROS

That's pretty much me every night

This is how I look after eating two cups of oatmeal in the morning and writing my responses to various rotoworld forum threads. Tinker stinker.

1 person likes this

didnt cousins beast last yr post-allstar break?

Yeah his was an even rarer scenario. He got his coached fired and his player utility usage went up significantly. In other words his minutes went up because Westphal was holding him back. Once again he hadn't maxed out his minutes or ability.

Mostly a myth

Is it because baseball has way higher variance?

Depending on the team you play for april/may can still be pretty cold monthsoti play night games in. Cold weather makes pitchers better and hitters weaker until it warms up.

Andrew Bynum.

Oh wait. I thought you were talking about the lights in the treatment room.

3 people like this

Mostly a myth

that's mostly not true, every year in the NBA there are rookies and younger players that get turned loose after the all-star break. It usually has more to do with teams being forced to recognize they arent making the playoffs. And of course the trades that happen around the all-star break usually result in opportunities for some players to break out.

Im willing to bet we'll see a couple players come out of seemingly nowhere and shake up fantasy leagues during the last third of the season.

Andrew Bynum.

Oh wait. I thought you were talking about the lights in the treatment room.

I know Bynum's going to be turning on his vaporizer a lot in the second half. Gotta fire up the vape to watch Sixers' road games on League Pass. The only way to watch Spencer Hawes and Lavoy Allen is if you're sky high.

1 person likes this

Mostly a myth

that's mostly not true, every year in the NBA there are rookies and younger players that get turned loose after the all-star break. It usually has more to do with teams being forced to recognize they arent making the playoffs. And of course the trades that happen around the all-star break usually result in opportunities for some players to break out.

No offense, but you should read the first post again

"Which players historically have went beast mode after ASB?"

In baseball people would answer Adam LaRoche, in basketball there's no clear answer

1 person likes this