Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Ross Detwiler 2013 Outlook

103 posts in this topic

We all know he came with an elite pedigree... a tall, hard-throwing lefty ... the talent is nothing to dismiss.

last season he had some real nice stretches. he'll be 27 next month.

Last year he increased his GB rate by incorporating the sinker. Plus, Nats are a good team, so there's reason to drink the kool-aid on Ross.

His k/9 (5.75) is still not so great, so im not sure if he's worth a late round bet in mixed leagues.

There's a lot to like with Detwiler. Let's just hope Lohse doesn't come in to take his spot in the rotation. I can't guarentee it, but I'm guessing he isn't being drafted all too early in drafts.

We all know he came with an elite pedigree... a tall, hard-throwing lefty ... the talent is nothing to dismiss.

last season he had some real nice stretches. he'll be 27 next month.

Last year he increased his GB rate by incorporating the sinker. Plus, Nats are a good team, so there's reason to drink the kool-aid on Ross.

His k/9 (5.75) is still not so great, so im not sure if he's worth a late round bet in mixed leagues.

I like him too. He is another one of my sleepers this year. I'm not too sure the Ks will be there, but he could get a decent amount of wins with that team with a respectable ERA.

How's it looking for Detwiler? Do you all see him having a nice season in the starting rotation (that is if the Nats don't sign Lohse)

I could see him easily getting double digit wins, especially with that team behind him.

Detwiler is a very good real life pitcher. Ive been on his train since I scouted him 2 years ago in person when he wrecked my phillies over 6 scoreless at a game I was at. I subsequently bought him for a dollar last year in an nl only and reaped the benefits.

Unfortunately his K numbers will make him nothing more than a spot start stream option or a last roster spot in a mixed league.

1 person likes this

Lynn by a country mile

How about vs. a guy like Marcum?

Lynn, Detwiler, then Marcum to me.

Unless he boosts his K rate, his ceiling is limited. As a final rotation spot filler though, you can do worse in deep leagues.

I dont understand how he doesn't have a higher K-rate. He throws 94-96 all game. Has a nasty hook and I'm pretty sure he was working on a change-up or cutter this off-season and spring. It boggles my mind that his k rate is so low

I like him as a breakout candidate this year, a strong No. 5 starter for a fantasy team. You know the wins are going to be there throwing for the loaded Nats.

Anyone rolling with him today against Cincy? Hopefully Cincy got its hitting all used up last night!

This is one of my favorite breakout pitcher predictions. He has always had the stuff to be a big winner. He seems to have always been a little behind in his development as a pitcher. He made big strides last year. I think he's being really undervalued.

i still dont understand how a guy with his stuff can get k's... but still a solid start vs a tough lineup

He was good but not great today. Gets a lot of ground balls, and was helped out by the double play. There is a lot to like here though. Fell behind a little too much for my liking, but he seems very poised, and was great with runners on base. He sat at 92 pretty consistantly, and does well hitting corners. He has a very smooth repeatable delivery which allows him to throw strikes. He did miss up and pay for it a couple of times and I'm guessing when he does get hit this year it will be for that reason. Overall, I was impressed. More k's would be nice, but he seems to be content pitching to contact and inducing ground balls.

He was good but not great today. Gets a lot of ground balls, and was helped out by the double play. There is a lot to like here though. Fell behind a little too much for my liking, but he seems very poised, and was great with runners on base. He sat at 92 pretty consistantly, and does well hitting corners. He has a very smooth repeatable delivery which allows him to throw strikes. He did miss up and pay for it a couple of times and I'm guessing when he does get hit this year it will be for that reason. Overall, I was impressed. More k's would be nice, but he seems to be content pitching to contact and inducing ground balls.

I only watched the first two innings and he threw mainly fastballs. I think I did see a change-up once or twice. Did you see him throw any of his secondary stuff, and what did you think? I'm not sure how much confidence he has in his secondary stuff, might be the reason for the very few Ks. If so, and he's throwing mainly fastballs, that will catch up with him. I like this guy but would like to see more secondary stuff.

He used his curve, a sinking fastball, and a occasional change. I really can't explain why he doesn't get more strike outs. There are pitchers with less impressive arsenals that have higher k rates for sure. As I mentioned before, he does seem content with getting ground outs. So to me is seems more about approach than it does stuff. Had plus command today though, that ain't an easy line-up or ball park.

Lookin good today. If those k's can come up he'd be worth a long look.

Lookin good today. If those k's can come up he'd be worth a long look.

If the k's would come up he's a top 40 starting pitcher. His peripherals are borderline top 30ish.