Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ballfan4141

Vance Worley 2013 Outlook

30 posts in this topic

finished good a few years ago. had some good games last year but pitched through injuries and didnt have good stats. can he have >3.50 era this.

finished good a few years ago. had some good games last year but pitched through injuries and didnt have good stats. can he have >3.50 era this.

Yes, he could definitely have an ERA greater than 3.50.

I meant less than 3.50

Less than 3.50? Probably not. But he could have some good value pitching in Target Field behind a defense that could improve. I read in the paper they are looking at Florimon at SS for his defense. Jamey Carroll has a solid glove at 2nd. Morneau's always been solid at 1st. In the outfield they Parmelee and Willingham are liabilities, but Mastrionni in center is as fast as they get.

I'm not to sure I would draft him in a standard mixed league but he will be a good streaming option when he pitches at home

I'm not to sure I would draft him in a standard mixed league but he will be a good streaming option when he pitches at home

All depending on his spring but he has crazy upside.

Sure traded to The AL, but in a better pitcher's park.

Yeah I don't really think moving to the AL will hurt him that much just cause Philly is a hitters ball park and now he is in Target field.

Yeah I don't really think moving to the AL will hurt him that much just cause Philly is a hitters ball park and now he is in Target field.

Yeah I'd rather take the hit in K's to have better ratios.

Plus The Twins organization have been so damn good at developing pitchers. Their staff this year looks very unproven and shaky though. So he's a for sure spot in the rotation so long as he is ready to roll come spring training.

I remember he had elbow troubles at the end of last year, anyone have some details on it?

Actually Target Field was a better hitters park than Citizens Bank last season...

http://espn.go.com/m...tats/parkfactor

you can sort through the tabs.

Actually Target Field was a better hitters park than Citizens Bank last season...

http://espn.go.com/m...tats/parkfactor

you can sort through the tabs.

Yeah for runs Target was a little higher. But I tend to use HRs more as a guide which that was even surprisingly close. But honestly the only reason it was even close was because of how bad Minnesota's pitching was last year and Philly had an above average staff.

could his marriage thing hurt his value? lol. things like that can.

But at the same time finding the right woman can also put a guy over the top in the confidence/motivation department.

Plus The Twins organization have been so damn good at developing pitchers. Their staff this year looks very unproven and shaky though. So he's a for sure spot in the rotation so long as he is ready to roll come spring training.

Are we talking about the Minnesota Twins? The ones that insist on all their pitchers pitching to contact and the best pro they've turned out in about a decade has been Francisco Liriano(you could argue Scott Diamond but that was less than a full season and he didn't even get to come up until there were several injuries)? Am I forgetting someone significant? :huh: Or are you talking about all the bullpen arms that moved on to different teams after the Twins refused to pay them?

Part of why the numbers look so bad at Target Field was the players that were playing on the Twins. If no one on your team can hit any home runs and you play half your games at the park, obviously that'll deflate the numbers. It was always obvious that was the problem because opposing teams had zero trouble hitting home runs at Target Field(part of this was also due to the Twins' putrid pitching staff I will admit).

Back to Worley, he's probably just a home streaming option at best.

1 person likes this

Are we talking about the Minnesota Twins? The ones that insist on all their pitchers pitching to contact and the best pro they've turned out in about a decade has been Francisco Liriano(you could argue Scott Diamond but that was less than a full season and he didn't even get to come up until there were several injuries)? Am I forgetting someone significant? :huh: Or are you talking about all the bullpen arms that moved on to different teams after the Twins refused to pay them?

Part of why the numbers look so bad at Target Field was the players that were playing on the Twins. If no one on your team can hit any home runs and you play half your games at the park, obviously that'll deflate the numbers. It was always obvious that was the problem because opposing teams had zero trouble hitting home runs at Target Field(part of this was also due to the Twins' putrid pitching staff I will admit).

Johan Santana

1 person likes this

Johan Santana

That was a while ago....

Johan Santana

That was a while ago....

Well he said in the last decade, Johan falls within that time frame.

I understand his point that the Twins' track record of development in regards to recent pitching prospects has been poor. But I doubt they are really going to change Worley as a whole.

The main thing for Worley is his elbow. While it's encouraging that all they had to do was remove bone chips, but as we have seen with other pitchers recently...that doesn't make you return to form. If his elbow holds up, he should be fine.

I don't like him, because his k rate is at risk of regressing more considering his swinging strike rate has been 5.5% the past two seasons. When you couple that with the move to the AL and the injury risk...I don't see him being anything more than a streaming option at home (like a previous poster said).

I think he'll be alright if he stays healthy. I like him in that division.

Against a beast Tigers lineup, a much improved Indians lineup, and a home run hitting White Sox lineup? The Royals will be mediocre but that'll be his only consistent solid matchup. The only things Worley has going for him in that division are his home park and Kaufmann Stadium. He's going to miss facing the Marlins, banged up Nationals, Mets, opposing pitchers, and several pitcher's parks in the NL East. Not to mention that awful Twins lineup will rarely provide him with enough run support to earn consistent wins.

I'm not high on Worley at all, but at his ADP I guess he's worth a flier.

Johan Santana

Good call. Wish the Twins would get less obsessed with pitching to contact and pay some guys that actually want to strike some people out, maybe we wouldn't be flirting with 100 losses the past 2 years with some half decent pitchers.

Throw in a huge lipper, go out and pitch in 30 degree weather with no sleeves..... should have a good result right?

Yea, this guy is done.

Hernandez comes in to relieve him..... also with no sleeves.....? :huh: Grand slam for Buck as I type this.