Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ejack37

R.I.P. Jerry Buss

18 posts in this topic

Mike Bresnahan @Mike_Bresnahan

Lakers owner Jerry Buss passed away this morning. A sad day for L.A.

3:46 PM - 18 Feb 13

http://www.isportstimes.com/articles/5906/20130218/lakers-owner-jerry-buss-dead-news-breaking.htm

This is breaking news that's not even 10 minutes old. Jerry Buss, owner of the Los Angeles Lakers, is reportedly dead after being hospitalized last week. Check back for more updates as this story unfolds.

Buss was 79 and according to various reports, he has been secretly hospitalized for months. The death has not been officially confirmed, but Mike Bresnahan is a very respected sports writer who has been with the Los Angeles Times for nearly a decade.

Buss became owner of the Lakers in 1979. He was responsible for drafting Magic Johnson and helped Jerry West built the most recent dynasty by signign Shaquille O'Neal and trading for Kobe Bryant in the summer of 1996.

A very sad day for Laker fans.

R.I.P.

I would kill (not literally) for an owner like him in Philadelphia!

got to meet Dr. Buss last year. the man is the definition of a legendary icon- the greatest owner ever in all of sports. not enough can be said about how much this guy meant to the entire city of LA...plus, he was with a bad young bz when i got the privilege to meet him, so ya know he was always livin life. R.I.P

Does this mean his son will take over and have complete control from now on? Oh dear lord get ready for some years of mediocrity.

RIP JB...

Does this mean his son will take over and have complete control from now on? Oh dear lord get ready for some years of mediocrity.

RIP JB...

Just like when steinbrenner died and his sons made all these rules and became cheap, thats what i expect the lakers to become now. Stupid moves and eventually reducing salary.

RIP JB...

Just like when steinbrenner died and his sons made all these rules and became cheap, thats what i expect the lakers to become now. Stupid moves and eventually reducing salary.

Actually no. Buss was very shrewd with how he had his affairs handled. Each kid handles a different aspect of the organization, but I think two of them don't do anything with the Lakers at the moment. He worked out the Time Warner deal to ensure money would be flowing in and I remember reading somewhere that the only way the Lakers could be sold is if at least 4 of the 6 kids agreed to selling them.

Besides, I think the difference is that Buss' kids really know what they're doing (Jim even, a lot of people dog on him, but he does know basketball) and they love the team. So I'm not too worried. Sure they're gonna have to find a way to reduce salary, but not because they're cheap. It'll be because they will want to avoid that huge penalty for being over the salary cap for so many years. And even then, if the team can turn it around or make some moves that will bring them back to immediate contention, the team will willingly spend the money needed and eat that penalty.