Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Triple Short Of a Cycle

CBS 2013 Rankings

17 posts in this topic

I figured since I haven't seen it posted anywhere if CBS had any outliers in their rankings system for live drafts. A lot of people in my league will be drafting online this year and I would like to get a leg up on the competition if possible

If you want to get a leg up,don't use CBS rankings/projections. They finished near the bottom last year when compared with the other most used sources for accuracy,which is common.Their 2013 projections look to be as bad as usual. Espn was dead last 2 of last 3 years. The rest of it is on you. Good luck.

If you want to get a leg up,don't use CBS rankings/projections. They finished near the bottom last year when compared with the other most used sources for accuracy,which is common.Their 2013 projections look to be as bad as usual. Espn was dead last 2 of last 3 years. The rest of it is on you. Good luck.

Which sites had the most accurate projections last year?

But their overall rankings list while in a draft are useful since most people will draft the players they see on their screen instead of scrolling to find guys they want. They might forget about them. For example they have Lawrie ranked 166 overall which to me is a huge value

Baseball Prospectus...The book goes on sale at the end of February...

Its give you ranking and projection? I guess more what others provides.

I think that's exactly the OPs point/hope. He's saying, "People will be biased towards the rankings they see on-screen. How can I exploit that?"

@ the OP: Not sure. Haven't looked at their rankings yet.

Not in a league full of competitive,experienced players.

Even then. If nothing else, seeing someone's name in a certain spot creates an anchor price in someone's mind.

Show these rankings of sites you speak of.

I've noticed that my leagues "live draft room" and CBS's top 300 used in mocks aren't the same lists, so I'm confused.

cbs fantasy rankings is nice on their site because they have a huge list. you can click on them and get the best situational stats. they give you a paragraph and some people comment. other than that their rankings are not that great.

CBS ranks Catchers absurdly high (Mauer is #18 projected for .315/76/9/79/6) and they put a lot of weight on pitchers as well. They have 12 Catchers in the Top 90... maybe the ranks assume a 2 Catcher league, but they're still bad.

I've noticed that my leagues "live draft room" and CBS's top 300 used in mocks aren't the same lists, so I'm confused.

I've never paid that close of attention to their lists for my own drafts, but I drafted for somebody else once who was doing a H2H points league. And CBS had projected out people's points and that was the ranking in the live draft room. I'm not 100% sure that it was based off of the league-specific scoring, but I think it was.

When live drafting in a CBS league, some GMs will rely solely on the CBS rankings. It would be helpful to have a side by side comparison of 2013 CBS Rankings v. a rotoworld/razzball/fanball etc. composite ADP/MDP list. This way, a savvy GM can compare the two rankings & find out what players his opponents will be undervaluing and overvaluing (assuming opponents are relying on CBS rankings.) It's an arbitrage play & highly effective.

Hypothetical Example: for whatever reason in the CBS Live draft room, they rank Zobrist at 100 BUT his true value is 75 according to your MDP/ADP list. Therefore, you know where your opponents are targeting him and can reach appropriately and grab him at, say 90.

Anyone else use this strategy? Does anyone have a side by side comparison? If not, from your research, what players does CBS overvalue and undervalue in their rankings? Good luck this year!